Ibex hunt from the rock

Cookie2

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-09 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]Well, let's try and see how this turns out....
It's day one and it turned out EXACTLY like I figured it would. I had to order a new daypack as SOMEONE, I wont name any names but his intials on here could be SS, left the cap off the diesel tank in his bed and soaked my old one so the whole scent control thing was out the window. I ordered it on Christmas Night and paid second day air but it didn't show up until yesterday afternoon. Didn't get to the mountain until after dark last night and tired from the drive to boot. Didn't want to get out of bed this morning so slept in a little... moving by seven!! I decided that I didn't want to waste opening day carrying a camp up the hill so just strapped on the daypack and headed up to see what was happening. Found a herd of 33(best count) and watched them trying to get a little closer. They had me pegged from the get go so it didn't happen but I have a plan for tomorrow that I believe will get me closer. I think I know which rock pile they want to be on and around so going to try and get there before they do and...... I saw a monster billy last year on this hunt that only had one horn complete with about a foot on the other side and he's still here. If that guy comes close I won't hesitate even though he won't score well he is HUGE on the one side.
Got a couple of pics from 680 yards...not too bad given tha fact that I only have a 70-150mm lens!

495d7ffc153a9d30.jpg

Sorry if this doesn't work too good. Working on mom's laptop and all different programs. If it isn't good enough I'll fix it when I get home!

Cookie!!! It is Patrick. It is good to here from you, you hunting fool. Let me know if you need help. There is a 90% chance I will be heading down to Animas tonight. I had planned on spending the day scouting the "rock." I will glass for you. (I will look for the smoke.) I will take a pack, just in case. Serously, I may be in the area if you need help packing one out. But it better be a biggen. I will send you a PM with my cell number. Good Luck and shoot straight.

Day 2 didn't turn out quite like I had planned. Took the long hard way in trying to get above them without them knowing I was there and that part worked out. The part I wasn't planning on was the other two guys coming in from the bottom and getting them all worked up. I think they might have spooked the majority of the herd out of the canyon before I got there as all that was in there was 5 nannies and kids. Saw a good billy in my way up, pics to follow. Walked right into the middle of a herd of javelinas also. I think tomorrow I'm going to figure out where they all went BEFORE I head up again. It is a little disappointing when you hike four hours to see a whole lot of nothing!

495eccef39380992.jpg

Hey there Pat, long time no see (or hear!!) How ya been? It's starting to look like there's going to be quite a large amount of luck involved in getting within bow range of one of these crazy things!

I had to "shoot" these little guys! Don't see too many of them where I come from. One of these days I'm going to learn how to use this dang camera!!

495ecfa046f06049.jpg

495ecfd64880b475.jpg

495ed016492384ba.jpg

Sorry only one of the billy...250 yards and on the move only got the one shot that was focussed enough for my standards!

Well, I didn't realize how much I pushed myself yesterday. I was going to get up at 6 and go find another herd to set up on but I guess this is going to be a break day. Fixing to head out and see if I can find that herd Mom took the pics of yesterday. Crazy, I was STILL 258 yards from that big broken horned billy. I'm actually amazed at the quality of pics I'm getting with that crappy little lens. Mom was an estimated 600 yards from hers but she's shooting Canon with a 100-400mm lens so she has quite a bit more reach. I think a lot of the other hunters will probably be heading out today and tomorrow as they have now seen what it takes to hunt this rock and most just don't have what it takes! The plan was to hike up on the 31st with my camp but I didn't get to leave T-town until late afternoon and I can't bring myself to lose a days hunting so probably just gonna be a repeat of last year with the exception of taking breaks so as not to burn out.
On a side note; anyone thinking about putting in for this hunt should be forewarned! You WILL NOT find an ibex from the road!! There are people everywhere driving the roads looking. I can see them from up on top and I can't help but laugh. I wish that they would just stay out of the draw pool and leave the tag for someone who will USE it. So far I know of four people actually up there myself included.

ss? Boy, I wonder who that could be? ;-) stinkystupid? Ha!

Good luck Cookie. That just does not look easy at all!

WTF? I decide to boycot MM and everyone thiks its free for all time on poor ol stinky? I'll gladly send you guys my address. As for you cookie. Go back home and ask your wife to give you your huevos back. I think you left them in here purse. Suck it up you whining little brat and get your lazy slacking you know what up that hill and kill a freakin goat. You aint got my 50 so I know you can't kill one from the camper! ROFL!

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

Well, I found them and it looks like if I don't have any uninvited "guests" tomorrow I might get a shot. The biggest problem is going to be avoiding all those eyes! There must be fifty or more in this new herd but I'll take my chances. I didn't see any true monsters in with them but I think ANY ibex is going to be something to be proud of. Didn't get any pics of these as they were well out of even Mom's lens' range but maybe tomorrow evening I'll have a harvest photo to share. We did get some pics of a couple of nannies straight up 300 yards from a busy hiking trail so I'll post these.
Mom's really digging this whole posting pics thing so she asked me to post a couple shots she took of quail in the campground.... enjoy.

496018723b92e925.jpg

49601aac46ad45dc.jpg

49601b87491f4d80.jpg

Great report Cookie and hope you smoke a bruiser goat on the rock!! Lovin the pic updates! And tel your Mom that those are some GREAT blue quail pics!

Todays post is as blah as I could have ever imagined! I thought I had the little buggers figured out and still think that I do but they never showed up. Spent all day perched on the side of a boulder and saw NADA! I did see three nannies across the canyon but they were way out of my reach not to mention if I'm going to pull up stakes and go chasing something it ain't gonna be no nanny! Had two other hunters come hiking up two hours later than me and try as I may to get their attention they never saw me and set up 100 yards away in one of the two trails I expected the goats to come in on! I was just a little bit ticked especially after they checked with mom and asked if there was someone already up there. She told them I was and they said they would go somewhere else and drove out of sight just to let two out anyway. I guess no harm done but I can't appreciate their ethics. OK, almost bedtime hopefully better report tomorrow.

CoOkIe

we r rooting for ya man! keep it coming and the pic ur mom took looks awesome! hope u ll release an arrow soon!! the pics of billys and nannys looks fun to chase! I missed chase them! has been long time!!

Vinihunt

Cookie,

Great Photos!! Give your mom and dad my best. Holly #####! I give any bowhunter the utmost respect for hunting the "Rock." The climb along is extreme. I was there on Saturday. I spent 6 hours driving around the bottom and glassing. I was only able to drive around the north, east and south side of the mountain. I would have liked to spend a few days. I did not have time to research the area had no maps. I left town on short notice (3hrs). I was just passing thru. Keep the phots comming. I hope to see one with you posing over a 50in plus ram. Good Luck. Call me if you need help. I am just 6 hours away.

Well, as you can probably tell, I'm not up there and that's cuz it's got a dusting of snow up there this morning. I think it will melt off today but I almost couldn't stand it up there yesterday from the cold and I know I couldn't stay today with that cold wind blowing across SNOW!! Also don't think climbing around on those rocks is a good idea with ice on them. I'm die hard but I don't think the risk is worth it! Tomorrow's forecast shows 30mph winds so not too sure gonna go then either. I just can't seem to figure out how to hold steady! We'll see how it all turns out. I don't have to be back at work until the 12th so there's still time. Thinking about trying to call up a varmint and get some pics.

I knew I was gonna catch a little grief so instead of waiting for it to come my way I took a couple of pics to show what I'm up against!
SS, why don't you bring YOUR cajones and show me how it's done! I think even a big, strong, tough, manly, hombre like yourself would be wimpering for your mommy in no time, oh wait you already do that! Sorry this pic must have you hiding under the covers already. Tell Mrs. SS I'm sorry for ruining her day as you're gonna be worthless for at least two days after viewing this!

496221ba54170d4b.jpg

I said it before and I'll say it again. SISSY! Change your tactics. Other hunters are obviously chasing the goats based on the previous days scouting report as well. Change your tactics. There are only a handfull of ways to go and its only a matter of time before they are pushed your way. Find the goats and anticipate another hunter to booger them. Set up where you think they will run. AKA. do like me you and Jay did. We had no goats near us but other hunters pushed them right over us. Go sit in a loan crossing where no goats seem to live. You can't do any worse. Of course if I were up there I'd already had to pass all those dinks your posting due to my superior hunting skills.

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

I know what your problem is! you refused my muscle milk! you can't live on one meal a day. you need 8 eggs for breakfast, 3 slices of ham, 1 monster glass of milk, some vitamins, and water. Then a monster lunch, a monster dinner, and protein shakes between. Load your pack with 20 pounds of food and water for the day. That will force you to eat like a man and maybe you will be able to hump it like the stinkmiester!

GO SISSY!

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

If you didnt know it. Cookie and Stinky are pals and I think cousins.
You guys are killing me.

Cookie, if I am reading this correctly, Stinky is volunteering to haul your food and water up the mountain for you.

It would only take me an hour or so to scale that dinky little ant heap if I aint got cookie behind me whining wait up! slow down! why you in a race to the top! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, and blah!

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

The weather kinda cleared up this afternoon but didn't really feel like going after yesterday's herd and sit on the shady side of the rock in the cold.. not to mention that I figured they were already there and no use in trying so I went to another place to see what there was to see. Found the ibex's nemesis on the way in and quite proud of the shot I put on him!

4962c40c124d807b.jpg

We found a fairly large herd on the way in but they were on that same rock that Stinkystupid earned his screen name on! No thanks to that stunt. I like my appendages the way they are thank you very much!!!! Found another large herd after about an hour of glassing and was figuring out a game plan for tomorrow when I looked up on some rocks 950 yards out. Found two billies at first but kept watching and this guy came out. I'm no expert on ibex horns but I KNOW this is a keeper!
4962c45a14a5a41c.jpg

4962c4a318155f0e.jpg

How about it? Any guesses on the length of this guy? I posted the last one to show how his horns look kinda like a dall sheeps when he goes away. Only seen one other with that particular look.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-09 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]Great pics and storries Curtis good luck and the girls at work are poking at you. Shitstack probablly the most

Cookie, that goat will crack 45" IMO.. a STUD!!! Now, if you can just find a way to get them off that face, go get him!!

The wind was whipping at about 30mph all day today so rather than go up there and risk spooking them out of their routine by missing a shot because I couldn't hold steady I decided to just take it easy and flake off! I couldn't stand it any longer and went back over there to watch and see if they held to their routine and sure enough they were right back in there. Going to be in position for them tomorrow by around 7 in the morning and just wait for them to come around the mountain. I really don't figure I'll be able to be too particular and hold out for the biggest one as there are a lot of eyes and noses to get around but maybe it will work out. There are several great billies in this herd so if they come where I expect them it will all be on me by noon tomorrow! Hope I don't fall apart!!!!
While glassing other hills looking for other goats to watch for a while I spotted what appeared to be another ibex WAY up on the opposite hillside. When I put the spotting scope up boy did I get a surprise! It's the only one I've ever seen in the daylight, one other in the headlights about ten years ago. Sorry for the quality but he was well over a mile away.

496401360b542e26.jpg

Now that's a cool shot.Here kitty. The picture of the huge goat now he worth freezing for. Hope you get the big one he looks great.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Awesome pictures. I wish you luck on getting close to one. I took these pictures 2 years ago when I went to the Florida's just so I could see some ibex. It was a fun trip. I was amazed at how many broken horned ones we saw.

31_ibex4_1.jpg

31_ibex6_1.jpg

31_ibex7_1.jpg

Well, I'm calling foul! Every time I think I have a pretty good plan some joker comes walking by and runs them out of the county! This is getting really old real fast! Saw the kitty again this afternoon. He just sat up there almost on top of the world and soaked up the sun for a couple of hours. The herd I was counting on coming by me never showed up at all. Not sure where they went but it was nowhere near where they were supposed to be! I guess tomorrow going to try and get on top and then sneak around and get above them if I can find them and catch them going to bed.

Good luck Cookie!

I have about decided that anyone who can kill an Ibex in NM with a bow is a stud. Kill a nice big one Cookie then you can call that relative of yours the SISSY!;-)

Oh, but I already do!!! This is by far the toughest thing I have ever tried to get close enough to get an arrow in. Changed the plan as weather says wind changing all day long so ambush isn't going to work. Gonna put my sneak to the ultimate test!

Great post Cook and man, that new camera is pretty sweet. Great shots man and good luck! -Damned cats.... apparently G&F says that heap of rock is covered up in them...

I don't know if it's covered up or not but it sure seems like there are a whole lot less ibex than I remember from previous two trips. Silly things are acting strange too. Sat on a rock 100 yards below a herd that stayed in a cave until 430pm. Then they all rushed out to get a bite before dark! I just can't draw a break! I had a nanny at 120 yards but the elite 1500w/arc said to shoot for 65. She never let me get the bow in my hands! Last times I have had them above that far they have stood around and mocked me for 10 minutes at least. Do you think they know I have the new rangefinder?
I got a couple of pics early this morning but they didn't turn out well at all so not gonna bother trying to post just yet. I am beat. Had my hardest climb so far and my whole body is screaming at me now. Got one more shot at it tomorrow and win, lose or draw that's gonna have to be it.

Curtis, I'll send good thoughts your way tomorrow dude. Good luck and fight the soreness 'til the end. I hope you blow a broadhead through one of those goats! They've been counting numerous cats on that rock every time they fly it to count ibex (in the middle of the day) so I'm certain that those hippy kitties are eating lots of mutton...

Good luck tomorrow and shoot straight. I'm thinking you are due for your ibex.

-Cody

I agree, good luck Cookie. It can happen.

It would be sweet having a Ibex on the wall.

Make stinky give you a piggy back to the top and start fresh!;)

Stinky needs so many supplies to get to top that he can barely carry all that. No way he gonna carry me too! You should see him go through the water once he reaches the top! No thanks think I'll take my chances with the soreness one more time!!
BTW....if I get a big stinky goat it's getting life sized mount!

I hope the next time you post Cookie, its a pic with a 50 incher in your hands. Good luck man, you have more cajones than I, trying to stick one with an arrow and all.

That picture of the cat makes me want to go hunt a kitty spot and stalk style!

Today started off real slow. Usually park the tuck and find ibex and then come up with a plan to get close and then try to ambush. This morning there were none in sight anywhere but I
decided to go ahead and get on top and play it by ear from there. When I got about three quarters of the way up I found two big billies and a smaller one running together without a nanny in sight. I have learned that the nannies are the ones that will bust you! This was too good to be true. I went ahead and got up top and then slowly made my way towards where they had come down. On my way I got picked off by another group that I had not seen but only one small billy with them. I tried waiting them out but they would not go away so I figured I'd just try and push them. That didn't work either, they just stayed where they were barking out their warnings. I finally got almost right underneath them and just for grins shot them with the rangefinder, 120 yards with angle shoot for 80. Why not at least try one??? Did I mention the 30mph crosswind?? I had NO idea that an arrow could curve like that! The yardage was right on the money but windage went at least 20 feet left, yes, I said feet! Oh well, that got them out of there, cost me $14 but now I can say I have actually shot AT an ibex!!
Now I could get back to the task at hand. All I needed was to make another hundred yards or so and should be right where I needed to be. I got set up and mom's texts said that it was looking like they were going to head right at me. Thirty Minutes later I got another text saying that they were moving to the next ridge over and I needed to "MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!!" So I pulled up stakes and headed at a pretty good clip over there to try again. Well the little buttheads changed the rules again and didn't come up at all. Just stayed down low leaving me high, VERY high and dry!
I couldn't pull it off this year but you can bet that if NMDGF is willing to give me another tag I'll be back up there trying it again! I think there might be something very wrong with me but for some reason I'm convinced that I can do this and I think I'm learning a little more about them every time.
Thanks for all your encouragement guys and we'll try agian maybe....next year????

This has been an awesome adventure just reading the thread. Makes me want to go hike that rock again. Good luck cookie, but I hope you're hauling one off now...

Cookie,

All you can do is try. I doubt you are not the first guy who missed out with a bow.

Ok, one last pic. I named him lucky boy because he was dumb enough to let me walk right up under him and let one fly. The wind saved his butt! He was quite small but had it all worked out I would have been more than happy to put my tag on him!
4968d6de02b3df07.jpg

I gotta thank all the folks who made contributions to this hunt.
First off a very special thanks to Cookie1 for being so understanding of my obsession with the outdoors and not giving me grief about my constant go go go! I love you babe!
Arley, thanks for all the heads up man! I found that big one where you told me to look. He didn't get that big by being stupid though!
Tony, it was good to meet you. Thanks for all your offers and even though I didn't use any of them I appreciate the confidence of knowing you was there if I needed.
Shawn, sorry we didn't get to meet up. You can blame UPS totally for that one! My whole game plan got changed with my backpack not showing up. Or maybe if you'd rather blame STINKYSTOMPER for the diesel. On second thought blame stinky!
And last but not least a BIG thanks to Mom and Dad. They both spent countless hours behind binoculars and spotting scope trying to find these crazy things! I call them my support team as I don't have to worry about cooking od anything just hunt! They made this trip a real joy. Thanks again.
I hope I didn't miss anybody, if I did it's not intentional.
Hope all enjoyed this and we WILL do it again!

No biggie glad you had some fun.. Maybe next year if you get a tag you can seal the deal... Now I am counting my blessings to draw another tag... Come on G&F be good to me I never say anything bad!!!!!!!!!!!
Arley

I just noticed that Zone J for cougars still has about 42 kills left on its '09 quota. Might be a fun spot-n-stalk for an over-the-counter tagholder. Get to glass and potentially help the ibex herd while we're at it. I've got a four-day weekend coming up... :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom