ID controlled bear/antelope

backpacker

I posted this on the bear forum but thought I'd post here to.
Has anyone out there ever hunted any of the Idaho spring bear controlled hunts? I know there's only 2 units and you have to buy a license. I couldn't find any success rates on the F&G website for controlled bear. I'm just wondering if they would offer a chance at bigger bears or what, as opposed to any OTC unit or if it's for better opportunity as there may be less hunters in the field or is it because there are less bears in those units? Also wondering about any of the antelope units. I was perusing the stats and was wondering if anyone could recommend a unit with ample public land with a good chance to tag a buck. There looked to be quite a few units with an average horn length over 12". I know you can only apply for one controlled hunt but any general info such as type of terrain, success, experiences, etc. is appreciated. I know ID's deadline are a little later so I may not even apply if I draw somewhere else but it'd be good information for later on. Thanks!

well for spring bear you have 2 days to apply, i dunno anything about the units gonna try bagging my first bear this year. Antelope you will get mixed units i think its just preferance, shot a decent buck in 50, and shot a doe in 59 but this was back in the 90s. If ya want more info pm me, i will give you some thoughts on what i am gonna put in for andwhere i will be going if i dont draw for archery.

The main reason those units are controlled is the type of country it is. Those units are more open and bears are easier to find. I don't know for sure, but I doubt there are higher numbers of bears in those units than most of the general units in the state, but they are more vulnerable. Keep in mind, no hounds or bait can be used either.

I'm just a spot & stalk hunter looking at doing some different hunts this year but think if i end up hunting bear it'll just be an otc unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom