Idaho 1-1 Moose

7magman

I've been lurking for a long time on here and finally drew a tag worth talking about. I drew the long season 1-1 moose tag in the panhandle. Does anybody know if there are any packers in the area that could help a guy out? Are there any good meat processors in the area? Any other moose hunting tips appreciated! Thanks

I hunted Whitetail up there about 6 years ago.I saw more Moose then Deer you should not have any problem getting one.

Good luck. i dont have anything for you cuz i dont know anything. i almost put in for that but did sheep instead. let me know how your hunts turns out. ill probably be in for that one next year. shoot a big one!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

theres a big processor just north of Sandpoint on the east side of 95. at this min. cant recall the name but a frined of mine has been using them for many years and is very happy with them. i'll get the name.
are you using horses? do you already know where your going? if your going to the more roadless area above upper Priest you just drove by 3/4 of idahos moose population to get there.
i dont know what all you know or dont know. got any more questions i should be able to help you out. congrats on the tag.

I will be going solo without horses. I was looking at Google Earth and the area north of upper priest did pique my interest, so to be honest I haven't picked an area to concentrate on yet. I plan to arrive on Sept. 25 and hunt until Oct. 10, if I do not tag out, then I'll come back later in the season probably early to mid Nov. I've never hunted moose before, so am reading all I can about Shiras and there are some great past posts on this site. I will be calling hunters who previously had the tag this next week.

I am hopeful of getting a 40"'er, but if one looks good to me, then I'll be shooting. I plan on camping in a central area then driving to hunting areas each day.

Where are the moose generally located during the rut? In southern Idaho and Wyoming I have seen them up high in the aspens that time of year. Is it similar in the panhandle? Does calling work well or is it a waste of time?
Thanks for the responses and if anybody needs any help for deer in CO 54 or NM 2C, get ahold of me.

perfect time frame. bulls are at every elevation, because the cows are at every elevation. i drew a couple years ago. stay on the east side of the lake, and south of the lake.

p.m' ed you

Has anyone seen how the horn growth has been on the moose in the panhandle? I'm getting excited as the hunt is only 2 months away! Does anyone know of a good moose calling video for shiras? I've been practicing and my neighbor thinks there's something wrong in my head. Thanks for the pm's they've really helped the hunt planning.

Magman,
I hunted moose in Wyoming a long time ago and I was hunting during the rut, but I never was able to call one in. If the bulls were with cows they stayed with them, despite our best cow imitation. However, bulls are always wandering during the rut and after they have bread a cow they go looking for new ladies. Their rut sounds seem to be similar to their bigger northern cousins as far as I could tell.
Mostly I was successful by covering lots of ground and seeing as many "moose spots" as I could. The biologist in my area suggested I drive the roads and look over as much country as possible to locate good bulls. I don't know Idaho at all, but I am guessing it is pretty similar.
If you are hunting on your own, you are in for a massive packing job once you get a bull down. I shot mine a half mile from a road and it took two of us a day and a half to get it all out. Also, Shiras bulls drop their horns fairly early in the year, so don't wait too long into November to kill a bull or it may be missing a horn or two. Good luck!

I drew next store to you in WA, The bulls I have been seeing still have quite abit of growing to do as of last week, the back halfs of the paddles are not yet develpoed no pts yet on any of the mid 40" ish bulls

I had that tag 3 years ago, however, it was in November. I would argue that the late hunt is every bit as good as an early hunt unless you are dead set on calling in a bull. Feel free to pm me if you are still looking for info. As noted above, I don't feel there is a great need to hire a packer as the moose are not that remote unless again, you are set on packing into the rough stuff to the North. Regardless of where you go,(short of the high alpine)anticipate the country being very thick, and if your not familiar with Western Washington, double it!

Anybody heading after the swamp donkeys tomorrow? I'm getting ready to leave on the 23rd and I'm amped up to say the least! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the rut will be in full swing when I'm up there. Good luck to everyone on their Idaho moose hunts this year.

Goodluck to u, I am heading out on the 1st on my WA tag. From the scouting I have been doing, the moose are just barely starting to rut, i had a bull in velvet 3 days ago on a cam

It's finally time to head to Idaho in the morning for the 1-1 moose hunt. Hopefully the weather turns a bit colder in a few days.
Good luck on your Washington hunt Shane. Hopefully I can post pics when I'm lucky enough to get one of those big old moosies.

Good luck to you. Yes show some pics, I will post some pics when I get one. The weather is going to drop for the next 6 days! upper 50's for my opener on the 1st! cant wait.

This part of the hunt ended up with me not getting a moose this go around. I hunted for 15 1/2 days and saw over 20 bulls. I ran into a shooter bull the second morning of the hunt, but he got into the timber before I could get a shot off. I did not see another really good bull the rest of the hunt. Seen and called in some nice bulls in the 34-36" range that just need another year or two. I think my calling skills needed some work to be honest. The bulls were fairly quiet as I only heard about 5-6 bulls grunting and one cow calling.
There were some nice bulls taken in the area I was hunting, a local hunter from Coolin shot a 42" bull with good paddles and super thick brow tines. The neat thing was he had a brow tine of another bull stuck in his skull that took out one of his eyes. The force it took to break off that thick of a chunk of moose brow tine into another animals head is amazing.
That is some damn thick country though, was within ten yards of two bulls and never did see how good they were. I had a blast, but it was a humbling experience as well. I will be going back in early November to give it another whirl.
The Kifaru tipi and stove performed great, it was nice to be able to dry clothes and stay warm during some wet, windy nasty weather.
If anybody has any tips on when to go back in November that would be greatly appreciated.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom