Idaho- alice and toxaway loop trail?

egradyfire

Hey fellas,

I'm headed to Idaho to hike the toxaway/alice lake loop with my wife. First time in that particular area and wanted to know what to expect if any of you are familiar with it. I hunt idaho every year and wanted to try to show my wife some elk/mule deer/wolves howling for her first time. I thought the loop had cool scenery but would like to scout a little bit too. Is it crowded with hikers? How's the elk and mule deer population? Is there any peaks you may know of that offer good glassing options. Thanks guys for all your posts, I read every one of them and have learned a lot. I understand this is a give and take monster muleys forum so if anyone has any hunting questions regarding unit 43&36 i would love to try to help you out.

Semper Fi to all the Devil Dogs out there

Tons of hikers in the popular trails in the Sawtooths. Decent elk population with a general tag that sells out in minutes and is going to a controlled hunt for at least rifle. Low deer population but some older bucks here and there. Glsssing can be tricky with some of those peaks requiring climbing gear to climb. Have fun. I'd be looking elsewhere and the chances of inning into or hearing a wolf anywhere is low.

PM me what you're looking for in an area and I might have some places I've been to that I could suggest.

There's a lot of variety in Idaho hunting units.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-18 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]Idhikker nailed it. The Alice/Toxaway loop is the busiest trail in the Sawtooths, which could make it the most backpacked in the state. There are some elk in there. A few deer, usually pretty tame. I would be surprised if you heard any wolves in there. I am sure they cruse through, but they are pretty shy with the summer crowds. They just shot three across the highway in Pole Creek. So they're around. I wouldn't consider it much of an area to scout for deer. Usually some mountain goats in the area. I have seen them cruising around Snowyside peak.

That part of the sawtooths is very scenic and a great hiking. That particular trailhead is always busy as it's a very popular hike, even in October. But deer and elk numbers are fairly poor, they are there in low numbers and hard to find. Mountain goats are plentiful if you glass certain peaks. I've also seen an occasional bear, a bobcat, and a fisher in the sawtooths. Take a fly rod if you can there are trout in many of the waters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom