Idaho Bear Data???

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
Last spring I killed a bear, had the tooth pulled and sent in.

How do you find out the information (age) of the bear? I thought that they would send me the results. This never happened.

It was my first bear hunt so I wasn't sure???

Thanks!!

If it was just last year, I would be suprised if they had the data yet. You can call F&G and see if they have any info (and they might) but usually it takes a good year before you hear anything from them on it. If I am remembering correctly, they will usually send you the information to let you know, but if you are curious, I would call them to see if they have anything yet. They just might.

Looks like most of the 2008 spring bear age data has been entered, so should be available. Personally, I'm quite backlogged on sending out bear and lion age postcards (we have lost some staff/positions here and everyone is backfilling beyond their normal jobs), but will be sending some out in the next few weeks from previous years.

PM sent.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Tom, Do you keep records back to 2005? I didn't get a card when I shot one back then, and was curious about his age.

I kill one every year and had to ask in the region office to get age of bear. They do not send them out here. Have never got a card about age. I just ask in the office and the ladies are really awesome to give out that info. Call whatever egion office you checked it into and they should have it.

LAST EDITED ON May-16-09 AT 06:02PM (MST)[p]Thanks to all for helping out! I got my info from my bear that I killed last spring and it was 10 years old!

Idaho is a great state!

LAST EDITED ON May-16-09 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]No cards in region 3. We have to call in.

Thats a good Mature bear. Was it a boar? How big? (nose to tail or skull). Congrats!

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

It was a boar. I believe the skull was 18.5 or 19" (I can't remember)

My taxidermist measured it at 5' 10". It was the first bear that I
had ever seen in the wild. To say I was excited is an understatement.

I would be leaving next weekend to go again if my friend hadn't
cancelled. If I had someone to go with next week, I would be
gone. I am totally hooked on bear hunting!!

All your measurements sound about right! I have a number of bears in the 18 to 19 inch range. They were all from 5'6' to 6' and were all eight to thirteen years old.

If you didn't shoot him with bow you should try it. It is a rush. You can spot and stalk bear with good success. If a bow is out of the question try a muzzle loader. There is just something special about getting close to the game before you harvest them. It's a much bigger rush!

Good luck with your bear hunting.

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

I thought I would let you in on something! After posting my post about not getting post cards in the mail here in region 3. Guess what I got in the mail on Saturday. A card! from my 06 bear. 3 years come on! Do you think someone read the post and had the regional office send one out? I thought it was quite funny though.

By the way My bear was also 10 years old. it scored 18 and 3/16 and was 5'10" nose to tail

Steve
www.mule deer country.com

Better late than never lol... Congrats on a great bear. I still
wish I was going. Never thought I could enjoy bear hunting as much as I did last year.

Steve,

If you got a card recently, it was probably from me. Sorry for the delay in getting cards out. As I said in an earlier post, I had fallen well behind in taking care of that chore and it finally made it to the top of my to do list. When I queried other managers in the state, most quit sending cards several years ago. Therefore, this will be the last time I send cards from Salmon Region. The best bet is that mentioned by some other posters: wait at least 1 year after harvest and then call the regional office to see if the information on age is available. If you save your copy of the Big Game Mortality Report, it will likely help the person trying to look up the data. There may be a self-serve method developed (e.g., web-based) for hunters to check bear and lion age, but given the current budget issues, I suspect it may be a while.

Tom Keegan,
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Tom

I figured you had something to do with it! You're the only one I really know pays attention to this site. Thank you for all your help on this site. You keep a lot of residents and nos residents informed on what truly is going on here in Idaho. I Do thank you for all your hard work. Thanks for keeping us informed and thanks for the card. Have a great weekend!

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom