Idaho bears and $$$ for gall bladders

rmanwill

Long Time Member
I have hunted bears in Idaho for sereval years and we have bagged several over the years. Several people have asked about the gall bladders and if we kept them.

Not knowing all of the ins and outs we did not wish to even pursue the issue in the past. However, I talked to the fish and game in Idaho Tuesday and was informed that in Idaho legally killed bear gall bladders can be sold. At the time the officer did not know of a place to sell them and stated he would ask around.

This being said, I would like to ask any local/residence for any information on selling galls and the going price. Like I stated before we have left many on the mountian before and do not plan get rich. However, if it would help pay for part of the tag fee, part of the trip or even a tank of gas, it would be worth the effort.

Hopefully for every legal gall sold, this might help in reducing the black market sells and the demand, which might help cut poaching of bears alittle bit.

Any information would be appreciated. Gall or no gall, $$ or no $$, we are headed for Idaho on the 15th for ten days of enjoyment (nice weather, first hunt of the spring and most of all out of the city and into the mountians).

Thanks in advance, Rick

ive never heard of a "market" for them here. my buddy used to sell/trade his to his neighbor. id open a phone book and look up asian/oriental markets and make a few calls. you never know.....if all else fails, ill trade you a giant bag of dog turds for one:)

I worked with some orientals back in the early eightys and we sold our gall bladders to them for right around $100 if I remember right. They seemed to think they were getting a good deal too.
One of them told us to tie off the tube before we skin it off the liver so the bile doesn't ooze out. That's what we did and it worked out good.
I haven't looked into it for a few years but I don't think it's legal anymore. Not sure though.

You won't get nothing for them, last time I saw a price was a couple yrs ago and it was around 10-12 bucks, moscow hide and fur use to buy them, depending what part of the state your at, I am sure rocky mountian fur and fireworks buys them also or can put you in the right hands.

Thanks, to you that awnsered. We have gone and returned now. We never did get to excited about the gall bladder thing and left them on the hill as always!!!

We did go for a ten day hunt, but limited out in eight (three for three). It was a great time for the first hunt of the spring!!! Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom