Idaho city and Rocky Bar Wolves?

N

Nelly

Got a question just wondering how the wolf situation is in between these two places? I live out of state now and would really like to take a trip back to my old stomping grounds.
thanks in advance !!!!

CW

CW,

It's a sad state of affairs here. The wolves have been working over the elk and deer herd un-obstructed. I think there time of conquering is about to come to an end, so to speak. It is still beautiful country there.

If your plan is to see game you will be disappointed. I was looking at the hunting regs from 1989. Unit 43 had 900 elk tags in it then. They now have 100 if I am not wrong. That has got to mean something. Ron

I archery hunted unit 43 for elk last year. Saw 2 bulls and 9 cows. It was soooo sad. 3 of the cows were in a group with no bulls and I have never seen animals so on the lookout for somethng ( wolves perhaps) than ever before. They would put there head down to feed and then pick it up as soon as it got down. At times all 3 would just be looking in different directions for extended periods of time. They are usually just eating away in the early mornings, but not this morning. And none had calves. I did see 2 calves in the other group outta 5 cows. Usually would see virtually 100% calves per cow. It is a crying shame what has happened.

WOW this is what I have been reading but I was really having a hard time believing it! I can remeber driving to are hunting spot and we would see hundreds of rigs through out the unit and it seemd like there were elk and deer ever where. Man I guess my planned hunting trip will just be a site seeing hike! lol
This sucks, but I still would like to try, for a deer hunt but will see, guess it doesnt look good. Shoot! thanks again for the info. When does the wolf hunt season start, I could always hunt them! ;)

CW

help me out here fellas.....i an looking for a area in northern idaho to do a whitetail/wolf hunt or a elk/wolf hunt or all 3 if possible.......in late oct or early november. i see a lot of type b tags are available. any decent areas to try ?? just a chance at a wolf would be what i,m really after.......thanks.....yd.

So here's how you figure it out:

Pull an old set of regs from 10 years back and see what the elk seasons were (Oct 1 -Nov. 15 or perhaps draw with 2000 total tags). Compare to the 2009 tag seeasons (Oct 15-24 or 300 total draw tags).

Those which have been horrendously restricted have been done so for a reason.

The wolves seem to have a greater impact on elk than they do deer, but I think they'd eat deer if the elk got too scarce.

I can say with certainty that the Rocky Bar area used to hold some fantastic elk hunting. It would be a dream to see elk numbers at 50% of what they were in the glory days. I can recall seeing 19 bulls in a 2 day scouting trip (during archery season) in that area back in the late 80's. Now, archery hunters hunt for a week and might see a dozen elk in a week. It's pretty sad.

See you in there WOLF hunting Sept. 1.......

[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom