idaho deer unit 67

J

jkranch

I got a IDAHO unit 67 deer tag - looking for any advise or info from past tag holders.
Thanks,

I am also looking for info on the unit i drew the either sex Oct5-Nov8. Any info on transition routes would be greatly appreciated.

i have had the tag twice and shot a 186 in 2000. light snow years go high .we went to the upper lake. 2004 shot 194 in transition area running with cow elk!

i would like to talk to you about were you hunted if possible.
My office number is 1-360-491-5230 & cell 360-791-2670 - call anytime.
THANKS,

I hunt that unit almost every year during the regular season, both bow and rifle. It's been a great unit until last year. I've killed three P&Y bucks and a 193 B&C buck in there. Last year I saw very, very few deer and only two bucks throughout the bowhunt and the rifle hunt. I hike into the wyoming boarder and camp for a week or more. Badass winterkill is what the biogists told me.
The late hunt might be a little better but I don't know. They migrate from that unit and from wyoming and head towards the Tex Creek winter range. I'd definately do some scouting.
If you see a white ford ranger at some trailhead with 1F Idaho plates, leave me a note.

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

Thanks for the tips - were is Tex creek? I would like to scout but live in Washington.
I have had some advice to hunt Hwy 31 from swan valley to Pine Creek. What your thoughts on that? I was also advised to hunt the north half of the unit from Hwy 31
north - what do you think of that? these may be migration destinations and were you are hunting they are in there Summer ground.
Thanks for any help.

I know nothing about the area above pine creek so sorry I can't help you up there.
If you go up Pine creek road to the summit, there is a road that goes south and down into the unit. Good glassing from the road if you want that. Also there are plenty of places to get away from the roads. It's fairly roadless. Watch for wolves, I saw two during my moose hunt last year and one during the deer hunt. They're lots bigger than I thought. Probably hard to drag. Radio collars make a good handhold to help drag them by, least that's what I heard.
If you like to hike, check out Little Elk Creek, Big Elk and Indian Creek. Find Spalding Basin and scout the ridge between the basin and the Wyoming boarder. These are places I've hunted before and have since quit because I concentrate on a sub-alpine basin in the area that I know well.
I'm going scouting 28, 29 and 30th of July so I might know a little bit more about the deer conditions. I seriously dought there will be many deer left after the last two winters but I have to check it out anyway.

Any suggestions on were to concentrate our efforts?
if you like you can reach me at 1-360-791-2670
Thanks,

THE TAG WE HAVE IS FOR HUNT AREA 67 OCT 10TH - NOV 30TH - ANTLERED DEER.
WHAT TAG DO YOU HAVE?
WE PLAN ON HUNTING NOV 12TH - 16TH-ISH. THAT IS WHAT I HAVVE A CABIN RES FOR.

If your hunting the rut hunt BE SURE to check out Sheep Canyon. It's the first road going east at the bottom of Palisades dam. It's a big wide open canyon that is a wintering area for the deer on the way to Tex Creek. A lot of deer stay there all winter long. It's one of our favorite places to visit duing the late whitetail hunt. We don't have tags for mulies but we go up there to look at buck.

I"m not sure if i'm spelling it right but I believe its hiese, if you get some good weather this area has tons of good winter ground and is where most of the deer head to winter. the deer numbers were definately down last year but dont let that discourage you. I saw bucks every day during the regular season and a few good ones but I was looking for a particular deer. 2 years ago I seen an absolute monster in this unit. multiple eye guards and cheaters along with double drop tines. and he was real close to the winter ground late in the regular season. I talked to a local who had seen this buck in the same area near the opener so i believe he was not a migratory deer. With a little luck I'll be back looking for him again this year during the last week. if you get some snow concentrate on the south slopes. most of the bucks I see are feeding in dead patches of timber surrounded by green timber. it takes alot of patience but those bucks will eventualy feed through on their way to bed

I have the Oct.5 to Nov.8th. The later you can plan your trip the better. Wont start seeing the monsters until that last week of Nov depending on snow. I have hunted with diferent people who have drawn every year and there are some good ones you just have to catch them at the right time in there rut grounds. Very sneaky deer even in the rut. I will be there for 15 days the end of my season so maybe i will catch up with you after that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom