Idaho elk, deer, antelope

IDoutdoors

Anybody feeling lucky for the controlled draws for elk, deer or antelope? So where did everyone put in for? Good luck!!Hopefully we will know in a month or so.

Brian

I'm not feeling lucky but put in for deer in 62 and elk in 60 since my Father-in-law has a moose tag in 62A and wanted to try and draw tags in the same corner of the state.

I gave up feeling lucky a long time ago.

I put in for 52A for deer and 75 for elk.

Will they really make us wait until the end of July for results?

Grizzly

I also gave up on luck after 22 years of applying
it is hard to get to excited, maybe one of these
years I will apply for one of the unlimited units,
just to say I finally drew a Idaho tag !

Been applying for a deer tag since 1986. Never been drawn. It just sucks livin here this long and notta tag. I would love to adopt the bonus/preference system.

Maybe this is the year, maybe not. Not that excited about the draw any more. Like to fellas above.

been trying to pull a tag in Idaho longer than any other state.. after about 10 years, i had hope, figured they owed me..now i dont care really..Idaho's draw system rocks!! keep up the good work.

i know this is my year to draw, gotta be i been a good boy..I am hoping i do...put me and my old man in for he same hunts i did.....45 deer, 59 elk, 63 antelope....put in for an extra elk hunt and an extra whitetail tag.....oh forgot put n bear too... gonna be the one everyone hates when i draw everything...

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

In 18 years of applying, if you count depredation hunts and a super tag, I have drawn 12 times. That being said, my gut is telling me I'll be tagless this fall. Good luck to all.

For the love of heaven let me draw at least one tag! I just about can't handle the suspense.
Put in for 37 Antelope and Elk (I just like to look at those mountains up there), 78 Deer. We'll see. I was going to put in for 77 Elk, but chickened out. I figured I wouldn't draw anyway.

I think next year I'm going to start putting in for Goat and Sheep. It might take me until I'm 60 to draw it.

45 deer going for 5/8 years on controlled deer hunts, elk never have drawn, and oh yeah my "unlimited" to address crowding issues archery permit for Antelope, and extra deer I draw every year and extra elk tag. Please get the points system here so my bad luck will end!!!

Get your hunt on!!
tixs,lodging,for you
cruises,trips for her!
songdogtravel.com

41 deer
41 muzzy antelope
40 elk...

....If I have a chance to draw anything it may be the 41 antelope...but we will see.

Unit 11 elk and deer. Elk tag I put in for is the late rifle huntand deer is the early deer hunt, Not feeling lucky at all.

Put in for unit 40 elk with my son, it only draws 4 out of state tags and I hope to get 2 of them.

well i put in for a 40 deer, 39-2 cow hunt, and my guaranteed archery lope tag.... Im feeling good about it this year been 5 years since i drew anything so glad that im going to get atleast 1 tag. :)

I applied for the unit 25 buck hunt, and the unit 25 cow elk hunt. I haven't drawn in the past three years so I hope this will be the year. I guess it doesn't matter either way because I will still be present in the woods come fall...

Idahooutdoors, and CoBuk, I put in for 62 last year and drew it on my first year. I really didn't want to put in there but my brother wanted me to put in there. Funny thing is I drew and he didn't. The odds of killing a buck there are great. Last year the weather was not very good for the hunt at all. But came out with a decent buck.

Well I put in for the early hunt in unit 39. Been hunting in that unit for years and decided I would put in for the early tag. Although it is a tough hunt, I would like to give it a try. I'm just not sure if I were to draw that tag if I would go early in August when the season starts or wait until September when it cools off a little.

I had that early 39 tag years ago and it was a crazy hunt! Hotter than hell, deer were bedding down 15 minutes after sunrise, saw some monster bucks, caught some great fish, saw some beautiful sunsets, missed some great bucks, got swamp crotch from hiking in the heat, took naps in small streams (possibly contributed to my swamp crotch), watched deer and turkeys fight, stepped on rattlesnakes, got more dust in my eyes than the rest of my life combined, and got caught in a near flash flood.

All in all a fun hunt. Would I do it again, maybe.

I sure wish they would offer 10 or 20 tags for a late season 39 rifle hunt, even if it was the first 10 days in November. That would be one of the best tags in the state easily in my opinion.

Shelby

i hunted the early hunt and i missed four of the biggest deer i have ever seen its a differnet world at that time of year
but a chance at a monster in velvet makes it all worth it

Hello Shelby,

Wow that sounds pretty awesome.....I mean besides the swamp crotch of course. No but what an adventure, thats the type of memory that will last a lifetime and is the reason I love to hunt. I agree strongly with the late hunt in 39, how awesome would that be?? I would agree that would be one of the top tags in my book. So in reference to the early tag what would you recommend as the best time to hunt. Would you focus your time in early August or late in September when it cools down a bit. I mean I will try to get up there as much as possible, but I'm just curious as to your thoughts on the best time with such a long season. I normally hunt the last two weeks of October so this would be alot different if I were to draw.

Hunter 27, I agree a chance at a monster is well worth the hard work. I mean after all thats what hunting is all about right. Anyway that sucks that you missed four big bucks, but I guess thats part of hunting, and I'm sure you will put the spank stick on the next one that crosses your path. So what are your thougts as to the best time to hunt during the early hunt. Eary Aug or later in September when it cools off.

Jason....

In my opinion, the huge advantage of that tag is you can find a buck in July and August, pattern him and be sitting in position opening morning without the worry of other hunters screwing it up for you. Seems like what makes this hunt so tough is hunters are trying to locate a buck during the season. As has been stated, those bucks are going to be up for 15 minutes after sunup before they tuck into the trees. Go scout hard, find a shooter and put the smack down the first 10 minutes of the season.

Brady

Much easier said than done. The success rate is relatively low and the number of "trophies" that come out of that hunt is also relatively low, such that I would say it offer little or no advantage unless you want a buck in velvet, otherwise I think the general season hunt is just as good and doesn't lock you out of applying for a year for an even better hunt.

Just my .02 cents.

i hunted early, with lots of scouting is to be done or you can just get lucky and spot one from the road like i did on my way back up to the evening hunt. but dont give up at like nine in the morning i spoted my deer around noon most of the time that year its really the hours that you put in scouting that will pay off

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-09 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]Steve what would you rate as the top five hunts in the state? I think i know three units that would rate fairly high on your list. Mine would be...

1. 45
2. 44
3. 40 i think it has a late nov. hunt??
4. 55 Early
5. 39 Early

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-09 AT 00:17AM (MST)[p]39 early is by no means a slam dunk of a hunt 2 buddies drew that tag last year and we scouted every weekend form July 10th until opening day. If I had one word to sum up the hunt I would say HOT but we saw a few smoker bucks, one buddy gave up early due to the heat and archery elking was higher on his list the other buddy hunted 23 days and shot a 185 buck. Watch out for the full moon it was a KILLER

There are some late hunts in Eastern Idaho that would have to be on near the top of the list. (54,57,58,59,69 late)

And I'd throw the other Owyhee units in there as well.....(Units 41, 42) Hard to hunt, but the late rut dates make them very enjoyable without that 100 degree heat!

With that being said, unit 39 is really a cool unit. You can go from 10,000+ foot mountains to 3,000 foot sage brush foothill country. The great thing is big bucks live from the bottom to the top of the unit. One of the biggest bucks I ever killed was way down low in the sage brush on general land (during the October rifle hunt, not the early summer hunt. He wasn't migrating down either, we saw him a few times during the summer months living low).

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I just cant wait until the draw results come out!! I need to start planning my deer and elk hunt for this year. I'm also looking forward to hearing what everyone else draws.

Jason.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom