Idaho elk Tags

elkster123

Has anybody noticed how many elk tags there is still available. Unit 27 opens in three more weeks or so and there is still ample tags for that unit. Any other time those tags would of been sold out way before now. I think its a combanation of fee increase and way to many wolves, playing havoc with the elk herds. Hunters are not as intrested in hunting in Idaho like they use to...

The fee increase was a killer, along with the wolf situation as you mentioned. Granted, the economy is hurting things as well but it's almost as if they are getting everything setup to say "well, let's just implement a PP system" to get non-res hunters back in Idaho.

Hopefully they get things turned around again.

I'm a resident. Use to buy the nonresident tags that were left over. Ain't gonna do it this year, thanks to the wolves! I'll hunt out of state for elk.

I can't believe anyone would come here to hunt right now. I live here and want to hunt somewhere else.

second that. Keep fingers, toes, shoe laces, eyes, anything you can think of crossed for those wolf tags. They are supposed to come available Aug. 24. Hope the Montana judge doesn't screw us all again.

Unit 27 is a "wilderness" unit. No trucks, quads or even deer carts. On foot or horseback are your only choices. Several outfitters bring clients into 27 on horseback or by air. 27 is a very difficult zone to hunt by foot. you must travel deep into the unit to find quality elk and this requires backpacks and lots of trips if you fill out. A few years ago the confluece, yellow jacket and other fires wreaked havoc on a large part of 27. Traveling up Morgan creek road to Sleeping deer you will see hundreds of acres of "sterilized" ground from the intense heat of the fires. I know of only 3 descent entrances to 27 and these are Meyer cove, corn creek and the road to sleeping deer. The trail across the Salmon river from corn creek is a "grueling task", a rocky zig zag steep ascent best done with mules. Meyer cove is the only one that was not affected by the fires. If you hunt from Meyer cove you must cross Camas creek (no small task) to get into 27.
I guess my point to this reply would be the fires and the lack of easy access to 27 may be the reasons for low turnout.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Unless I get a second round elk permit I don't think I am going to even go hunting for elk. That will be the first time in 25 years that I didn't hunt elk. I will use that time to go catfishing or something else. Ron

I didn't buy one last year, doubt I will this year. I have been out several times in the last month, mostly looking for deer, and have seen one elk and very little sign. I have seen a few deer though. Just to rub it in a little, my buddy in Wyoming called yesterday to tell me he went into our little honey hole and saw 26 bucks and 10 or more 5 and 6 point bulls. Thank god I moved back to Idaho!

Oh yeah, and there are just as many wolves and bears and cats around there too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom