Idaho fish and game officer arrested

swampmule

An Idaho Fish and Game conservation officer was arrested in Franklin County Monday evening.

Joel Gunnell, 36, of Montpelier, was arrested by Franklin County and Idaho Fish and Game officers on a felony warrant charging him with rape. He is in custody of the Montpelier Police Department, which is conducting an investigation.

Gunnell has been placed on administrative leave. He has worked for Fish and Game since 1998 and has been a conservation officer since 2002.

"We take this matter very seriously," Idaho Fish and Game Director Cal Groen said. "We hold our officers and all employees to the highest standards, and we will cooperate fully with local authorities."

Montpelier Police Chief Greg Butler confirmed that his agency is investigating Gunnell and has filed one count of rape and one count of sexual battery of a 17 year old against Gunnell. Chief Butler said Gunnell has been booked in the Caribou County jail and will likely be arraigned on the charges today.

No further details are available at this time.

I have dealt with Mr.Gunnell before, and know of some other folks who have had run-ins with him as well (1 was actually sited but it was ticky tacky). I don't wish that kind of thing on anyone, but I also don't think any of the guys that I know are going to shed a tear for the guy either.

Never met the guy but I hunted in and around Montpelier for years. There was an older warden that retired back then but can't remember his name. Anyway Mr. Gunnell or anyone else that does something like this will have to pay if they are guilty.

If he committed the crimes he is being charged with, I hope he gets what is coming to him. However, I hope the department, the fish & game and/or any other warden does not have to take any negitive effect of this officers actions. I'm sure the department will act on this accordingly.

I have hunted in Idaho numerous years and have never had a bad experience with a warden or a biologist. I hope that everyonr will judge them for their actions and not the actions of just this one.

"I hope the department, the fish & game and/or any other warden does not have to take any negitive effect of this officers actions"

THATS LIKE ASKING EVERYBODY THAT DOESN'T LIVE IN UTAH TO STOP SAYING "UTARD"

Everyone knows the department will get negitive presser. However, all that I'm saying is because one hunter poaches, does not make us all poachers and we hate the negitive that always comes from one poacher!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom