Idaho General Season Buck

idsharp

I always want to do the Hunt Adventure Challenge but I have a difficult time getting content. I do a great deal of scouting and filming with a Phonescope but it never seems very good quality. In th future I hope to maybe obtain som better equipment and skill to provide better content. Until that time I would still like to contribute to the site that enjoy viewing with what I can.
If I don't draw a good tag here in Idaho ( which, like many of you, is most years) I hunt the general season. First the archery, then the rifle, and finally late archery. I always hold out for a big buck. To me that means either mature or I always hope to break 180? and one day I hope to kill an honest 200?+ buck. I go by gross. I love to know the score of a buck for a few reasons. There?s a great thread talking about that right now.
Most years I can find a few bucks that will go to 180? and beyond and occasionally I find a great 200?er. Killing them has been a whole different deal. Most years I pass on many good bucks on the hope that they'll live and be bigger the following year and the hope that I'll kill the big one I am after. I usually go a few years before I kill something and when I do kill something it's usually because I just really want to tag something finally. Such was this year. It's been three years since I killed a deer and I wasn?t finding as many big bucks as most years. Archery season passed with hardly any sightings of the deer I scouted out much less a solid opportunity.
I knew it would be harder during the rifle season but I always give a good effort.
The first video is a quick one I took before shooting the buck. It was towards evening and by the time I got to the buck after he was down it was dark. I was alone with only my phone so I didn't get pictures. The second video is of his antlers and the antlers of a buck I tried to get last year that ended up dying over the winter, either from a lion or just the harsh conditions.
https://youtu.be/aerPmKK0Hkk

Here?s the second video.

https://youtu.be/X-aBZJBWmb8

On a side note I shot the buck at 572 yards with a Savage single shot bolt rifle that I put together. It's chambered in 6.5x47 lapua. A wonderful little cartridge similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor. I was using Berger 130 gr. Hunting VLDs. I love long range shooting and while I try to be responsible and ethical it allows me to take advantage of opportunities that might otherwise be missed or forfeited.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom