Idaho General tag

J

Jackjr

This will be my first year heading to idaho somewhere for deer this year. Put in for a permit but no luck. Does anyone have any advise on what area to hunt for a genera tag. Dont need anyones honey hole, just pointed somewhere in the right direction. Whiteys or mule deer, just what to go and have a good time and have a decent chance on getting a deer. Thanks

There are deer everywhere. Get a couple of miles from the nearest road. Be in position before daylight and until dark. They are in the desert, but that is harder to glass. Early in the year, get higher than later.

Want a big one (defined as 4 1/2 years or older)? Try someplace physically difficult to get. I have a pen pal from California. He came to Idaho 6 years in a row; never killed a thing and only saw a couple of forked-horns each year. I continually told him what I'm telling you and even invited him to come. He never did. We hunted within 3 or 4 miles every year. I got mature bucks and he didn't see anything.....but then he didn't climb much, slept a little later and got back to camp a little earlier. Actually, I stay in a small bivouac-type camp up high for several days.

There are deer east of Sun Valley, south of Palisades, in Hells' canyon, 7 devils.....anyplace that's hard to get.

Well Jackjr,

Where are you from and what kind of hunting are you used to. Whitey's, Blacktail's on the coast, ?? The nice thing about Idaho is it has quite a variety of terrains and each are different. We have high country mule deer at 9 to 10k elevation, where you find very few animals, but they can grow large even in Gen Units. We have sage country, but the deer don't usually get there in numbers until we have enough weather, which can suck if you are from another state and aren't sure when to come. Lastly, we have the No Idaho Whitetails which, while I have not hunted them, I hear for a quality hunt with a good opportunity to score is probably the best bet in the state. Another benefit of the Whitey is I hear they eat much better than the Mule deer.

I would plan on having the first years here be rough, but it will get better with age. Frankly, if you're not willing to put in a few years learning to hunt here you don't deserve to hunt here.

If you give us some background and preferences we can point you in some general area's(units) and then it's up to you.

I am from Washington. Used to hunting blacktails and mule deer. Any terrian is fine. Hikeing in is ok too. Not set up to hike 10 miles in and camp. Never hunted whiteys but would like to someday so that would be fine too. Thanks for the info so far.

You want a Whitey? Pick any unit north of Riggins. Hunt in November.. Say 10th to 20th. Camp on a road in a comfortable camp. Hike at least 30 minutes before light to any spot behind a gated road on forest land. look for lots of deer tracks. bang a set of horns together. (watch any number of hunting shows for a good demonstration). If you get cold get up and mover slowly into the wind. Watch for any does looking a little spooky or acting funny like running around for no obvious reason... You hunt hard form sun up to sun down you should be able to get a reasonalbe buck.
Knock on a few doors (more than normal since you are a non resident) You just might get some permission in a canyon near some farm ground. do something nice for them if they grant you permission like say send them a box or two of Washingtons' finest apples and you likely will have permission for seveal years to come.
The beauty of a whitey is that big ones are often killed in heavly hunted areas and some huge bucks come off public lands.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom