Idaho lion

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Here some pictures of a lion my son and his buddy caught last week in the dirt in Idaho.

My son with his dogs.
fc71f13c.jpg.orig.jpg

The kid that shot the lion.
fc71f139.jpg

fc71f135.jpg

NVBigOnes,
Looks like a great trip for the guys. I keep hoping one day one of my Walker dogs will trail. I've had a few that would tree, but they wouldn't trail worth a crap. Tell us a little about the story. Cutting the track, the chase etc.

Congratulations boys......KT

Well, living 400 miles from them I can't begin to do the story justice. My son just got his residency a few weeks ago and has been wanting to get hunting up there. He's SUPPOSED to be going to college but the hunting takes a priority at times. They decided to go lion hunting one day and knew conditions were lousy so they just figured they would burn a little gas and end up going fishing. My son likes to hunt the dry ground and sort of prides himself in that. Growing up in Nevada you don't get a lot of ideal snow days without every other guy with a long earred dog being out there with you. But being the hard head he is he's always game to give it a try. He's trying pretty hard to make his dogs run on dry ground.

I guess the road they were driving on had just been graded so spotting the track wasn't too tough. He decided to try his older redbone on the track and she took it so he dumped the two Walkers and they all took off like a shot. It was a fairly short race to the tree (maybe a couple miles :) ) and the kid made a pretty good shot with his bow but the lion just refused to die and jumped the tree after the shot. I guess they had a lot of fun getting him caught the second time in close quarters in the willows. Made my hair stand on end hearing the story.

One Walker is three years old and the black backed one in the foreground is just over two. She has the appearances of being one helluva hound. She caught her first lion at just over a year. She's technically my dog but I don't think I'll ever have possession of her again. The Walker tied in the background is hard to read. She runs silent as hell, fast as hell but trees hard. His red dog is older (6 years or older) and has quite a bit of experience. She just decided this year to open on the track. Guess old dogs can learn new tricks. I wouldn't call his hounds high dollar or completely broke but they're all he's got and he's damm proud of them. The two Walkers he got as pups for next to nothing and has trained them himself.

One thing's for sure they are having fun.

Where is your son at college at? I'm an Idaho college kid myself. Congrats on the lion I'd love to get one(or many) of them.

He goes to BSU. How about you?

Don't know what happened to the first pic. It was working once. Damm computers.

Here it is again.

fc71f13c.jpg

Good job on the lion NVBighorn, dry ground and all I'm impressed! As evidence of the fair weather houndsman I've turned into, I sat home the last 2 weekends while your son and his friend were out treeing lions. They do look a bit too well mannered and respectable to be houndsmen however, but they're still young, they'll come around. A bear hunt on the San Juans with Dawg and Ed might be all it takes!

Make sure your son gets his lifetime hunting license in Idaho if he's a resident because even if he moves to another state after college he'll be able to get a hound hunters permit without having to draw. I've considered moving up there long enough to get resident status just for that reason.......if only I didn't have so many outstanding warrants in the state. :-(

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom