Idaho Moose

BacDoc

My son drew an Unit 65 Moose tag. I've hunted deer in Idaho, and we're fairly experienced deer and elk hunters but we're total novice moose hunters anywhere. I've applied in Utah since before there were points, and have never drawn. Anyone willing to give us general moose hunting advice, and any specifics on unit 65. I posted in the Idaho forum but have got little response so far. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, BacDoc

Congrats on the tag Doc!
I have only hunted Shiras moose once many years ago. I had a Wyoming tag and the game biologist told me to be very mobile. During the rut the bulls seemed to wander and they didn't stay in one place for long. So I got to know the unit and drove the roads and spotted from high points. It ended up paying off for me.
Unless you have some local knowledge about where bulls hang out, my old strategy is all I can offer. I don't know anything about the unit but hopefully someone on here will.
Despite their big black appearance, they can be surprisingly hard to spot, mostly because they live in thick cover. I am sure you will have a great hunt. Make sure you share pictures of your success.
Best of luck!

Great tag. Send me an email (not a PM) and I'll fill you in on what I know. I hunted the unit last year. Click the link above to send direct to my email address.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen a lot of moose over the years, but mostly just by accident. My favorite hunting method anymore is behind the glass. His hunt goes from Labor Day weekend into November, and according to Eastman's it's suppose to be one of the better Idaho units. It's between Driggs and Tetonia, over to the Wyoming border. It looks like there is a lot of private land though, so I'm hoping someone may be able to point us in the right direction for access. Any help or advice is appreciated. By the way Rick, do you know who I am? We went to HS together I think. Thanks BacDoc (Bern Cook)

Sticksender, I can't get the email thing to work, I'm a computer idiot. PM your email address. Thanks BacDoc

Congrats on the tag. I can give you some ideas on where to look. Hunted moose A LOT on the 67 side and seen some beauties on the 65 side over the years. Will spend a lot of time on the 67 side this year so if you want to pm your contact info, I can let you know if I see anything your way.

Well the hunt has started, and we have spent the week end in the unit. Most of the moose we are seeing are along the river on private. We've learned a lot, but information and advice would be appreciated. We're going home this afternoon, but will be back in a couple of weeks It's September, the best month of the year. BacDoc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom