Idaho mule deer rut

map1

When is the peak rut for Idaho mule deer with the general area being around Salmon? Fish and Game biologist told me the last week of October but this seems early.

I was in the Riggins area on October 31 and the rut was in full swing. It seemed a bit earlier than normal but every year varies.

In two years we have shot two bucks on Oct 25th. Both deer were rutting hard. This year's buck was fighting another buck for 25 minutes.
Mike Henne

Hunted the last week of oct. and the bucks we saw across the basin chased the does all morning .

Must not have been me as I would usually say middle 2 weeks of Nov to cover peak breeding (not necessarily pre-rut behavior). Guess I need to draw a fine line between behavior and actual breeding. The math is peak fawning first week of June - ~200 days gestation = ~ Nov 12-19. Certainly some variation among local areas, individual animals, and years.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Regional Wildlife Manager

Nov 12-19 seems right to me and your math definately backs that up. While the majority of the does might get bread around that week there are always does that come into their cycle early which obviosly gets all the bucks fired up. I believe the scent from one hot doe can send every buck in the area into full rut behavior, which from the hunters perspective thats all they need to know. The moment hunters see bucks acting stupid they will say the rut is on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom