Idaho non-resident fee increases

huntnrich

I love hunting Idaho, I've hunted there since 1980. But the game has disappeared, and the fee's are still being jacked up. Are we as a group(non-resident hunters) going to adjust to the hike in prices this year, or are we going to let them know enough is enough. I love that they've only sold 1500 deer tags so far, I'm hoping that's an indication that something is wrong here. Anyway, just wondering what other consistant non-resident Idaho hunters are going to do this year.

I am still going but I am still working. My job is secure so I don't mind spending the money. It might be a different story when I retire in 3 years.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-09 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-07-09 AT 03:55?PM (MST)

This is a round-about way to help the deer and elk herds. Raise the prices to impact the demand so fewer tags overall will be sold. Those who have hunted here in the past 3 years know that the wolves, winters, and abundant general tags have had an impact. There might be some 2nd tags purchased by residents this year, but no doubt that the price increase in a cruddy economy will have an impact. My bet is that this will be the first year they don't sell out. However, if they get $50 more per tag and sell 20% less nonresident tags, this will balance out in the long run as an equal value. Plus, with fewer deer to hunt and fewer hunters, this has the potential to be a good thing in a few years.

Sure there will be sacrifices along the way. When you have an ever-increasing demand with limited supply, something has to change.

Is it ideal? Probably not. Is it fair? Maybe not totally, but residents pay income tax on their 20k wages, sales tax on groceries all year long, property taxes on their 1200 square foot house, misc. taxes for schools/libraries/etc... we buy cars here, etc. etc. etc... Non-residents come for a week and no doubt, spend an average of $1000 / person but 80% of this goes to goods (food gas), where the remiander is tax or service $ (tips/motels/profit that can be "re-spent"). Spending $1000 here doesn't put $1000 into the economy. The real value of the $1000 is that portion which covers wages or profits (maybe 20%). The gas bought at the service station had to be bought in Wyoming, so other than the 10 cent profit, that money paid the refinery in Wyoming and really isn't a benefit to Idaho. The food NR's buy at the grocery store is the same food you could have bought in Winnemucca on your way here. It came from the same distribution center (not generally in Idaho). Other than some milk, cheese, or "taters", the money moves right on out of state since we don't grow much else here. Thus, again, Idaho only gets the value of the tax you pay and the small profit on grocery goods.

In comparison, the value of the tags helps pay wages for IDFG and service programs they have (helicopter rental for example).

Not intending to ruffle feathers, but I don't like Nevada's odds and systems, so I don't give them my money. I like OR and UT and WY, so I participate there. Do I feel like I should get more for my $----ALWAYS.

That's my 2 cents worth. I will hunt something, somewhere as long as I can walk and see and have the opportunity.

I'm interested in other opinions. You don't have to agree with me to participate.

[email protected]

My friends and I will not be hunting deer in Idaho this year. They increased costs, decreased hunting areas in SE Idaho, and shortened the season, and there are fewer deer than ever before.

They couldn't make it any worse.

Grizzly

Time to throw in the towel & stay away.The quality has been going down hill for years so let the residents buy up the extra tags to shoot a few more dinks!!!!!!
David

Sounds good to me..I will make sure and by an extra non resident tag this year.

>The residents will buy and left-over
>NR deer/elk tags.

I hear that comment alot, but what about the $154 NR license fee. My self and several people I know put in for controlled hunts in ID and a few other states and if we don't draw then buy a general deer tag and go hunting in Idaho. Not this year, I'll wait a few years until that point system gets put in place and then start back in ID. I think that with the declining quality and the increases in fees the number of hunters will go down and revenue will also. So here comes the point system!

>Sounds good to me..I will make
>sure and by an extra
>non resident tag this year.
>
Buy several because the herds need to be thinned out!
David

golly geez...i just aint sure none of us yocal locals can afford to buy them thar NR tags on our 20,000 jobs. im not sure i could fit another critter in my little 1200 square foot shack. sure is cramped in here.

you probably didnt mean anything by it....but seriously....read what you posted. comes off pretty offensive to us local boys...imo.

im not sure i
>could fit another critter in
>my little 1200 square foot
>shack. sure is cramped in
>here.
>
I have 11 mounts in my little 1700 square foot house...Gives it a nice cozy filling.

I bet residents pay a whole $5 worth of taxes on that $20,000 in wages. If the resident has a few kids he is not paying any taxes because he gets it all back plus more. The rest of us are paying him to live in Idaho after the resident gets that fat tax return every year based upon on all of those Earned Income Credits. I'm sure those refunds will finance a few 2nd deer tag purchases so maybe you guys are already onto how to draw more money into Idaho--make $20,000 a year with a couple kids.

muleybucks and hillbillyNV...
those are two of the most ignorant statements ive seen in a while. Have you ever even hunted Idaho? Half the people up here are driving duramax diesels pulling a trailer with 6 quads or horses and setting up with swarovski glass, and looking like they just stepped out of a cabelas catalog. I guess if you just road hunt, you probably only see the rif raff...

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]Hillbilly

Is that a banjo in the back ground or are you talking again. :)

In all honesty, Idahoans could really care less if you come and hunt Idaho, It's the truth like it or not. That being said most states would probable say the same thing about non residents. However, like it or not we do need your money.

Gemstate can only get one non res tag and when he gets it, I bet he doesn't shoot anything with it, especially a dink. Most of us don't when we buy the left over non res tags. It's a donation to the well being of what we have left (which isn't much).

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Seriously why do we need there money? We need less deer and elk killed in the field right now. We dont need 1000 biologist to tell us that. Lay off so biologist hire more fish cops and stiffer penalty's for poaching would save alot of money. Us hunters start putting a dent in the predator problem.

Like the guy said earlier with the higher prices we can have 20% less non resident hunters in the field and still raise the same amount of money.Then we would have non residents that want to be here and they will be happier to see less hunters and more game in the future. sounds like a win win situation to me.

When F&G has less money they will start spending on what they need not on what they want. I think this will fix alot of things.

ZBOYS,Really great ideas but Government doesn't usually scale back because it spends someone else's money.Idaho has great mule deer genes & it's a shame to see how the quality has went down.I HOPE your wishes come true for the deer's sake!
Good luck,David

Since they created the "whitetail" tag. We've been buying the res-nonres extra to hunt whiteys up north. I'm through with harvesting mule deer regularly. It's been several years since I've actually taken a muley in Idaho. I still want to hunt though. So we shell out a few bucks to get ourselves out in the field and hunting deer. Like I said earlier, to me even with the increase in price it's worth it and the cost would really have to jump for me to give it up.

Also, Just like Lowland said, I'm not sure how many guys would spend the extra $300.00 or whatever it is now just to go shoot a second deer. I don't know anyone who does that.

Lowland hit it on the head. Come on up and hunt if you want to! If you don't I will pick up a leftover and probably not fill it. In fact, I have know spent over $1000 in nonresident leftovers an only shot one deer. We as concerned residents do more good buying these tags than some of you would like to think.

To clarify, I'm from Idaho. The above was a generalization. Before you pass judgment, wait till this fall and see how many 2004 duramaxes got traded in for "something less" to get rid of the bank owned payment. Or see how many of the folks who had 2000+ square foot houses, now live in an apartment or who now are living in a 1200 square foot house (or wish they did).

Certainly there are all classes of folks who hunt, but look at the average resident in Salmon, Challis, Grangeville, Orofino, Riggins, Weiser, Buhl, etc. Residents deserve a break and the above "generalization" applies to the majority of these folks completely.

It's supply and demand. Move here and pay fewer fees to hunt and fish, or keep your good job out of state and treat the cost of the tag as vacation fun money.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 10:24AM (MST)[p]I've never understood why NRs feel they're doing another state a favor by hunting there. It's just the opposite, they should be grateful for the priveledge to hunt in another state.

I apply & hunt in all the Western states & have hunted in Idaho alot.Over the years I've hunted in quite a few different parts of Idaho & it's a wonderful place to spend time.The bottom line is the quality of hunting is suffering & it's going to take everyone,residents & non-residents,to work to get the quality back.Too many predators,habitat loss,mis-management & a growing resident population has hurt the resourse.I hope it all gets turned around so present day hunters can have a taste of what once was a great place to hunt!
David

We have had this discussion before,
Non residents hunting in your state
not only help your game and fish departments,
it helps your economy, It happens in every
other state also.

I have been in little towns all over the
west, that without non-resident hunters
they would have closed up there gas stations,
resturants and small motels, so don't keep
saying we are not benefiting your state.

I guess you make these kind of statements
because in your eyes we are not helping
you, Its not always about YOU!

Drnaln,

You said it best. This is a fairly logical step to regulate the pressure. Let's kill a few wolves this fall and make 2 steps in one year.

I hunt in other states and I play by their rules, I don't threaten to take away my ball and go home if they don't change the rules to my satisfaction. You are demanding that states change their laws because you spend a few dollars there. Who has the ego?

I have not complained in this
thread, I just get tired of a
few of you that believe your
state can survive without non-
resident money.

Well put Dave, Sorry I started this conversation. I love Idaho, I've hunted up there, almost every year since 1980. I've shot very few criters, but I've always had a good time. I'm sorry that the fee's for licences have gotten so high, and the intertainment(see animals) have went down hill. I'm just feeling bad, I've had so many memories, and the Idaho people have been awesome and so helpful and fun to get to know. It's hard to not be able to do things that you've done for so many years. Anyway kill a dog(wolf) for me this year.

Lowlandmulies,

Yes that is a banjo playing in the background and "you sure do have a perty mouth!" Trust me, you can't tell me a Hillbilly joke that I haven't already heard at least 100 times in my life so calm down. I haven't ever hunted in Idaho but was looking into. However, I decided against it.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. My comment was only directed at the "poor locals ($20K) propping up the entire wildlife system" argument. I hate hearing people make that argument no matter what state we are talking about, even NV. Every Western state needs non-resident cash to make ends meet. I can tell you I enjoy paying $30 for a deer tag in NV because the generous non-residents are paying $240. At the same time, I pay over $500 for raghorn tag in Colorado while the locals pay about $40. But, that is that is how Western big game hunting works.

hillbilly,

dont you think that residents from all states, not just idaho, get sick of hearing the opposite argument youre talking about. the one about how non residents are the saving grace. not saying that all nr's are like that. in fact, i think most arent. but there are a few, especially on here, that need to step of their high horse!

it's all good to me though. i dont discriminate. i slash the tires of all out of staters in my hunting areas, regardless of what their plates say:) just kidding fellars, didnt want to end on a pissy note.

Deepforks,
I hope you don't think I am making the argument that non-residents are the saving grace for residents. I am not sure if that is where you are trying to go--maybe not. If it is, I don't think non-residents are any kind of saving grace. My point is we are all in this together, residents and non-residents alike, we need each other no matter what state. We each play an integral role in each state's wildlife managment.

I like to think this argument is actually somewhere in the middle of the two extremes that have been set forth. Poor non-residents making $20K a year are not propping up the wildife agencies while non-residents aren't rolling into town flashing all of their "out of town high wages" and getting "worshipped" by wildlife agencies and local businesses. It is is a give and take situation. Because non-residents pay more to hunt, we as residents get to pay less to hunt. Plain and simple.

While on this topic, I get sick of hearing guys, as has been discussed above, say that non-residents from urban areas are making high wages and have a high standard of living while the locals are getting paid jack and holding the state together for everyone. Of course, guys in urban areas make more but they pay more just to live. I doubt the guys that like to make this argument(or whine) have to pay $2,500 a month on a mortagage for a 1,700 square feet home where you can spit on your neighbor's home from your bedroom window. I don't really think that is a high standard of living. The local markets make it all work out in the end so that we are all broke so please stop acting like all non-residents are rich. If they were, they certainly wouldn't be researching general tags in Idaho. They would be parked at some banquet in Utah where they can buy a trophy tag. My personal opinion is the local guys living out in the sage brush have the better quality of life and I hope to live in the sage brush someday, even it it means making far less money.

Thats why we roll with puncture resistant tires! :) 24's no less! :)

The funny thing Hillbilly is I knew you would get it. I just thought more of these back woods Idahoans would get it also. No dice!

Have a great weekend!

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

The tire thing brings back some not so happy old memories!25 years ago I was in Montpelier,Id and my brother & I woke up to flat tires.ALL 4 had been cut!Our hunting money went for new rubber!
David
PS The good old days!!!!!

Lowland is right, most of us locals could give a damn if you come here.... I hear all about the huge decline in deer numbers, and I know that its not the glory days, and those days are past us, but there are still deer out there. Hell since a 180 class buck wont load up in my truck in unit 43, I'm just going to give up and be bitter about the whole situation..... Thats what it sounds like to me... Price check on vagisil... C'mon, I don't know how many non resi's I see rollin in their new duracrack on 20 inch shiny rims come hunting season, and then they want to cry because fee's go up a small amount, just seems its all about me me me and my wants, and how if its not to your liking then it just sucks... stay in your state and pray to whatever god you pray to and hope for a tag(I got a good line on some forkies for the right price)

Geez,
A little gloomy in here?
EVERY state needs NR income and it is their job to "entice" NR with quality opportunity, Idaho IMO does a fair job of that. I have never hunted Idaho without having a quality experiance.

Raising fees is part of the pay to play system that is modern hunting, get over it. If you can't afford it take up a new hobby.
Even hunting on a "shoe string" budget is pricey but if the desire is there the money will be found.

I am not the world traveller that some of you are but when I am out of my home state I consider myself a guest and conduct myself accordingly. I don't suffer from appendage envy that some of you must and frankly don't care what kind of truck, 4-wheeler, income, or house anyone else has. I got out of high school years ago.
CB08

Hell yea were going to Idaho this year. I dont give a crap what it costs. My best hunting memories are in Idaho. My family has been out of state hunting in Id since the early 60's. We have seen the ups and downs, but it beats the crap out of not having a tag in AZ, NM or UT. The tag fee is a drop in the bucket to me. Last time I checked the 6 horses, feed, trailer, rig, tack, bow, rifles, processing, taxidermy, ammo, chow, hunting clothes, binos, spotting scopes, fuel, tents, stoves, and camping gear costs, make the tag price seem insignificant. The world ends in 2012 and I will figure out a way "hook or crook" to hunt till amageddon.

I think the reality to the situation is that the quality of game dosnt equal the fees. Idaho is a shell of what it used to be. Idaho used to be a mule deer power house and now with exception to a small hand full of controlled units the majority of units are down in the dumps. Idaho is way behind the times in manegment pratices. I read about 25 posts and hadnt really read anyone saying anything about wildlife mangement pratices, just beating each other up on who's a resident or not. We all help or unfortunatley hurt.

Predetor mortality is way up (wolves), vehicel mortailty, winter encrochment and overall winter mortlity due to loss of mule deer habitat, fire pratices, logging pratices ect. I have hunted mule deer in idaho for about 16 years and Ive seen a huge influx of elk since. You cant have a big elk herd and sustaine a quality, healthy mule deer herd, they compete to much and the elk win, thus pushing the deer out.

The other problem as i see it is that Idaho is more or less an "opurtunity" type state. They want to offer everyone the oppurtunity to hunt, regardless of the quality. Which is awsome for junior hunters, get them out as much a possiable.

Would Colorado have the quality of deer if they praticed wildlife mangement like Idaho?

I know I'll get allot of flake for this but....I would rather hunt Idaho every other year or two and have a good quality hunt for mature deer (5 plus years of age)than hunt every year (general tag)and have a good shot at a 1 1/2- 2 1/2 year old immature deer.

Anyway i good go on for along time on this subject.

Muleyczy, you bring up some great points about "manegment pratices", "Predetors", "vehicel mortailty", & "winter mortlity". Not to mention the "opurtunity" thing. And the serious issue of "winter encrochment". Winter has been spreading like wildfire recently, it seems like winter has been encroaching on an annual basis recently.

Why dont all of you sit and home and protest the Idaho Fish and Game and I will let you know when the "good old days" return.

bbgellerman,
It's not a matter of protesting Idaho fish and game, It's Idaho is fare and away behind in there mangement. I will still continue to hunt Idaho, because they do offer some great oppurtunities,(archey) however, they want the money for game that isnt there or a job that really isnt being proformed.(mangement of wildlife)

I garentee you that I dont hunt Idaho for the trophey mule deer, there is the potential but you have potential in California to and Im not going to put allot of time there either.

Idaho dosent need to reinvent the wheel. If Idaho does something, thats more than there doing now. What's going on with the Mule Deer initive?

MulyCrzy is right on again. This guy really speaks my language!

Simply put........

we nede opurtunity of trophey mangement.

Ar dere hurds nede to bee manged, witch wood increse opurtunity and help with mangement and stuf.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom