Idaho Sawtooth Elk Zone tag distribution

idahoelk

What do you guys think needs to change about how they do tags in this zone? I don't hunt it but have followed pretty closely on how fast the tags sell out and that they were proposing a draw hunt last year. Sounds like a mess to get a tag over that way.

Leave it as is. Those who get the tags are always excited, if it goes to a draw nobody will apply because the elk hunting isn't better than any other general unit

My vote is to make it a draw.

45 ACP for when you have seconds to live and the police are only minutes away

No draw! Most of those dedicated enough and really WANT the capped tags, get them. Sawtooth for example is over-hyped. I know dozens who THINK they want the tag for no other reason than it sells out fast. Just like the draw tags, people have no idea what they're even after, but boy it must be good if its capped/is a 50 tag draw hunt.

The Sawtooth zone is just a decent OTC hunt that is way overhyped. It needs to stay OTC so the residents who have hunted it for years and it is truly their go-to area every year for their family and friends, may continue to have a solid chance to hunt it annually. The only way OTC units can remain good units, is if there are a lot of them. The more areas that go to controlled the more pressure it puts on the OTC units remaining, decreasing hunt quality across the state. It is a slippery slope until the only thing left are a few overcrowded, and very poor quality OTC hunts. Take notice of Oregon and Utah where you have to wait 20+ years for a great hunt or take a mediocre quality hunt every 2 or 3 years. 90% of hunters are going to want the opportunity for a decent hunt every year rather than a chance every 20 years for a nice bull with no guarantees.

Now for NR, I am all for making everything a draw. I hunt out of state sometimes and that's the way it is for me
everywhere else. However, I think that it is fair to cater to giving RESIDENTS of each and every state the priority when it comes to opportunity.

-Trevor

They should switch the nonresident quota to 10% of the tags on all units with quotas. Then in units without nonresident quotas, limit nonresidents to 10% of the tag number issued the previous years. The F&G does close to this in the Sawtooth zone but not other zones. It is sad when a resident can't get a tag for a unit and 37% of the tags are going to nonresidents. I'm currently a nonresident and I think 10% of the tags is fair.
I think it may be better to not have a resident limit on any of the OTC units in Idaho.
The issue with limiting OTC units is it will increase pressure on other units. Then when other units become too crowded, they will limit the tags there which will just make the problem worse. If OTC units continue to be more limited, eventually everything will become controlled hunts. Just look at the ?General season? deer tags in Utah or the change to controlled Colorado and NM deer tags. Controlled tags make a better experience but you won't get a tag every year.

>No draw! Most of those dedicated
>enough and really WANT the
>capped tags, get them. Sawtooth
>for example is over-hyped. I
>know dozens who THINK they
>want the tag for no
>other reason than it sells
>out fast. Just like the
>draw tags, people have no
>idea what they're even after,
>but boy it must be
>good if its capped/is a
>50 tag draw hunt.

+1

Spot on. As mentioned in other posts below, read about the wasatch general hunts. Not even worth going once it gets down to 10 or less OTC units. No draw hunts.

I saw that the Diamond Creek Zone A tag sold out extremely fast this year also. But I have heard more than 25% of the tags go to non resident hunters.

Needs to go back to unlimited OTC. That zone has changed very little in the 25+ years I've hunted it. Despite IDFGs reports and meddling. Those tags were originally capped due to supposed wolf predation. 100% thats what F&G claimed. I knew then they'd never give back what they took away. I was right. Let those who think the grass is greener hunt that zone for a year or two. 99% wonthunt it again and it?ll go right back to how it was before F&G screwed it up.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

>I saw that the Diamond Creek
>Zone A tag sold out
>extremely fast this year also.
>But I have heard more
>than 25% of the tags
>go to non resident hunters.
>

It's actually more than that. More like 32-35%. Next year they will most likely bring it back down to 10% and add to the overall quota. The result will be approximately 459 additional tags for residents.

Idahoelk,

Actually about 37% of the archery elk tags in the diamond creek zone went to nonresidents this year. The rumor is it will be cut to 15% next year.

Deerlove,

The F&G wouldn't loose any money by restricting nonresidents to 10% of the diamond creek tags. The statewide elk tag quota has sold out the last few years and would still sale out regardless if 0% or 100% of the diamond creek tags go to nonresidents. Unless you are from Colorado, which is very generous to nonresidents, you have no argument in saying nonresidents should get more than 10% of the tags. I wish Utah and AZ would give out 37% of their elk tags to nonresidents but I think 10% is fair.

GSJ,

I agree that the best solution is to remove the quota on all OTC zones. With more and more quotas and increased demand, more areas are effectively becoming controlled hunts. Eventually the demand will be so high that Idaho?s general season areas will be just like the ?general season? deer tags in Utah that you have to draw.

When a quota is put in place and the tags sell out in a short period of time, it effectively became a controlled hunt. The only difference is you ?draw? the tag by being faster than others by purchasing because they are busy at work. It happened to my brother in law this year. He was try to purchase his tag but was busy with work and the tags were all sold out by the time he had time to make the purchase.

GSJ,

I completely agree that if there was no quota, most hunters would just move on and not come back after trying it for a year. F&G used to have a quota for nonresidents deer hunters in the SE Idaho units (76, 75, 77 & 78). Those nonresident deer tags would sale out quick because everyone thought it would be the best area. After removing the quota, it didn't significantly change the nonresident hunting pressure in those units. When you limit a tag, it just attracts attention and makes others think that must be the area best area to hunt.

>Needs to go back to unlimited
>OTC.

This is the answer, at least for residents. When you have a large number of OTC opportunity throughout the state the hunter numbers and quality of animals regulates itself. Limiting opportunity only goes one way and never goes back.

They?re screwing us plain and simple. Throw the state gov into the mix and they are double screwing us. I don't support them. I'm glad I got my time in when I did. Idaho no longer a friendly state for sportsman. I'll never buy another sportsman package or give them one dollar that's not absolutely necessary. Any F&G rep that I encounter will have his ear chewed off. Followed two brand new Chevy Tahoes home from hell?s canyon last weekend. F&G logos plastered on the door. Don?t whine to me about money.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

I think the demand stems from it being a unit with an Oct 15 opener close to town with a populous of about a million. Concurrent Deer/Elk seasons before winter weather creates a lot of opportunity.

Leave it as is and switch the Boise river zone to an Oct. season

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom