Idaho Transport Laws

nehuntr147

I have been reading the regs on this and I will be hauling my animals from Idaho back to NE. I had originally planned on completely processing my animals time permitting but after reading the laws I need to leave evidence of sex attached to the largest portion of the meat.

Does this mean that I can process everything except on large roast where I leave the evidence of sex attached to it? I couldn't really find anything restricting this and was just curious if anybody had some insight.

I'd call IDF&G and ask them. It's a good question. If you were to take the animal to a butcher, the proof of sex would be gone.

I did find something on that, if you take it to a commercial processor you are okay to transport without proof of sex. I do most of my own processing so I wouldn't fit under that unfortunately.

Called up the IDF&G, sounds like I can't process everything while I'm out there except the largest piece of meat still has to have the proof sex on it until I get to residence in NE.

Another question, are the Wildlife Check stations that they set pretty well marked when you are passing one? I hunted out there last year and never saw one. Are they usually in the same spot or do they move them around?

They are clearly marked. I think they can/do move them around but they typically have them in the same locations.

Seems strange that you cant have the entire animal processed...

You can if you take it a commercial processor but not if you do it yourself they said. I suppose they are worried about somebody shoot a cow for meat and shooting a bull and just taking the antlers? Wanting to make sure that the sex of the meat matches what you said you shot.

Thanks for the information on the check stations I'll have to watch for those. I was reading something that said you have to stop if you were hunting that day, is it wise to just stop regardless of when I was last hunting? These are something that NE doesn't have and want to make sure I am doing things correctly.

Whether you hunted day of or not be sure and stop at any check station if you are here on a hunting trip, especially if you have game. As long as you're legal no worries at the check stations, they will simply ask what unit(s) you hunted and whether you took any animals. Usually takes about a minute if you were unsuccessful if you were successful it will take a little longer as they will want to do some inspection I'm sure, never actually run into one with an animal lol

I will be sure to do that, thanks for the information. I don't expect to run into one until the trip home when I am back on paved roads unless its at night heading to bars or something lol.

I think your first post is correct. You can process and package all the meat, with proof of sex on the outside surface of the largest portion (roast), with the tag taped to the outside of that package. Then if an over-the-top super anal officer wants to see, just unwrap that one package.

Good luck!

It does make sense right? If you take the meat to a processor there is a witness that can document that the meat came in with evidence of sex attached. If the IDFG really wanted to they could go back to the processor to verify that you did kill the gender that you claim. If you process it yourself there is no 3rd party to confirm your story.

If it were me I would either wait until I got home to process the meat or process everything except the hind quarter that sports the evidence.

I got stopped at a check station for the first time last year. It was pretty fast but it would have been faster if our meat had been easier to get to and we knew which bag the tag was in.

Here is a copy paste from the F&G site

"all hunters and anglers required to stop at check stations

As hard as it is to believe, summer is already coming to a close. Even harder to believe is that several Idaho hunting seasons have already opened.

Throughout the deer and elk seasons, Idaho Fish and Game (IDFG) will be running check stations to collect data on hunter and angler success. Idaho Code requires that "all sportsmen, with or without game, must stop at Fish & Game check stations." All those who are hunting or fishing that day, as well as those returning from an overnight hunting or fishing outing, are required to stop."

So if you are on a hunting trip you are required to stop. Good luck on your hunt.

DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom