idaho unit 46-1 sheep

D

droptines

i drew!!!! any help and i do mean any would be greatly appreciated!!! canyons to scout ( i will scout 2 weeks before season and hunt entire season) sheep sightings or even just a good place to camp...anything will help. expectations on ram size? im so excited still cant believe i drew!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-25-11 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]Call me and I will give a name to call also call Randy Smith in the Jerome F and G office. here are some pics from 2008. If you have not been in the canyon country of Idaho you are in for a treat. 208-221-3461

DSCN1120.jpg

Not great quality but these are thru a spotting scope into the morning sun

DSCN1109.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

Right before the stalk

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1134.jpg

DSCN1144.jpg

Congratulations on the tag D! Truly a once in a lifetime deal
Coz8, that is a dandy Cali Ram, especially from that canyon country! Nice pics and bound to get the blood pumping for droptine!

LAST EDITED ON May-26-11 AT 00:30AM (MST)[p]I drew 46 in 2009...saw lots of rams and had a great time. It was a tough, hot hunt but made for memories of a lifetime.

I found no one that had hunted the unit before but F&G was helpful.

I'd be glad to tell you what I know and it should be great intel...I was all over that country.
Shot a great ram...I'll try to upload a pic...

I'm new here, not sure if you can private message me?

as if i wasnt excited enough allready!!!! awesome rams and awesome counrty!! im at work right now for another 13 days ( workin nights) but when i get off im headn to the desert to do some scouting ( i will have 14 days off). yes the fever has got me! shawn....208 705 0929.thanks

droptines,
I hunted the unit in 2000. I would assume the sheep still use the same areas (yes).
Are you DIY hunting? or Guided?
Feel free to PM me and we'll put our heads together.
Plan on a HOT hunt but one filled with hi-adventure!
Congratulations.
Zeke
PS: If I went back I'd whack some of those 'yokes too!

Droptines (Shawn)
It was my pleasure to speak with you on the phone!
I appologize that I was mistaken on the units and can't be of any help to you. Unit 42-2 is the unit in which we hunted.
Since my last post I looked at an Idaho map and realized my error.
Have a great hunt and keep us posted about your scouting and hunting!
Thanks, Zeke

Man that canyon country looks pretty dang rugged. Congrats on drawing your tag and good luck.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Congrats on the tag. I hunted and killed in 41 (I think) in '06. Bring big glass and a long range rifle. Should be a great hunt. If legal, a quad can get around that rough country a lot faster than a truck.

scan0001.jpg

Here is a pic of my ram in the Owyhee River Canyon. It was the second hunt on Unit 42. Setting up for the shot, I felt like a kicker trying to win the Super Bowl. Nothing like a pressure shot when you have a sheep tag in your pocket!

As Droptines older, and much better looking brother I too appreciate the help.

Beautiful country...can't wait to lay my own eyes on it.

well ive spent a total of 7 days in the canyon on a couple of scouting trips, put alot of miles on the truck, wheeler, and boots!!! ive seen alot of rams, but still not "the one". trust me its not lack of effort!!!! got food poisoning while i was out there and really thought it was the end for me! i passed out once and woke up layin in the dust,,,,its funny now but scary when your out there. back to work in a few days for 2 weeks then another scoutin trip with my brother, i cant wait to spend some time with him. will let ya know what i find next time

If you are looking for a ram with a droptine, you might have to look a long time! LOL.
Sounds like you are already making some great memories, and the fun is just beginning. Spending time with the bro will be special as well. You probably want to always have a companion in that country anyway. Good luck in finding a "dropper" (big ram)
Keep us posted as most of us will only hunt sheep this year vicariously through guys like yourself.

just got back from another another scouting trip, my brother and i seen a bunch of rams and several new rams in new areas, still havent seen a monster but some contenders. one short but super heavy and another one was thin but long,,,and so very hot!! rams were bedding down by 8 30am. off to work and then back out there for 2 days of scouting then the season will be here!!!!

Hot? He!! Yes!
It might cool off a little for the hunt but don't plan on it. I remember the heat when we hunted that country (42-2).

Thanks for the report. You'll have a great hunt!

Zeke

Yep, plan on 110-120* on that desert surface come opening day.
Been there done that.
It is part of what makes that hunt so special.

Take more ice, water and coolers than you think you'll need.

Had a great time...and didn't see any rattlers.

The heat however about kicked my butt and as you say, I could feel the heat coming from the ground up and about burnt my eyelids from the binos a few times.

Still worth it. :) Can't wait to get back out there.

one more day of work, get home late, headn out sunday mourning to scout until tuesday when the hunt starts. never and i do mean never have i been so excited for a hunt! cant sleep, wont eat.....and the best thing is my brother and dad are going along with a few friends! will let you all know how i do when i get back, and thanks again for all the input......

well it was the hunt of a lifetime!!! made new friends and hunted with old friends and family, cant get any better than that! my brother spotted this ram and sat on him for 7 hrs while i was hunting a canyon 2 miles away, when we met up he showed me pics and away we went. dove down off into the canyon were we believed he was bedded down, tried to stay quiet, spotted him and his little buddy, my brother bob ranged him at 115 yds, compensated for the steep down hill angle and shot him with my muzzeloader!!!!!! i have never yelled so loud. both horns are 34 long and green score is 165, best part of the hunt is my brother was there with me when it all went down....thanks bob!!!

Congrats Shawn, great ram!!

It was a pleasure to talk to you earlier in the season and am really happy for your success.
That country and those sheep are magical, memories for a lifetime.

Well done with the smokepole.
Frank

The only thing that could have made this hunt better would be for it to last a few days longer.

I'm very proud of my lil' brother. He does it right. :)

WAY TO GO SHAWN!

You da man! That's a beautiful Idaho Cali BH. I was also in the Idaho desert, with my brother, in 2000 for our sheep hunt.

Congratulations on taking a beauty!

Thanks for sharing your experience and your success with us.
Zeke

Sweet Ram!!! Way to get it done with a front stuffer!!!

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON May-26-11 AT 00:30AM (MST)[p]I drew 46 in 2009...saw lots of rams and had a great time. It was a tough, hot hunt but made for memories of a lifetime.

I found no one that had hunted the unit before but F&G was helpful.

I'd be glad to tell you what I know and it should be great intel...I was all over that country.
Shot a great ram...I'll try to upload a pic...

I'm new here, not sure if you can private message me?
Could use some help I drew in 46 not having much luck I've got two weeks left. You shot a nice ram got any advice?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom