Idaho was good to me!! Again!!

Goldberg

thought I would share a pic and story of my good luck in central Idaho this fall. Although I was born and raised in the Boise valley area, I have only been successful on mule deer for the last year or 3 as a non-res. I put the hammer down on this guy on the second day of the general hunt. I missed a genuine once-in-a-liftime buck last year in the same area. heavy, old buck with multiple stickers and massive main beams. only maybe 20" wide, but one of those bucks that need to be seen to believe. The shot distance did me in. It was a little out of the ordinary. I missed him 2 times broadside at about 40 yards. Folks ask me if my scope was off. But i don't believe that there is enought adjustment in a scope to throw it off that far at 40 yards. Bummer. I have never been able to shake the fever!
This year, after a 3-1/2 mile stroll through the woods on a logging road, I overtook a couple of guys that had beat me into the area. I found out later they had horses, and had tied them off and were walking the same road I was. I backed off, decided I would just climb a little rise above the road and take a look around. This old feller and his twin were just feeding into timber at around 500 yards. I took a quick look around for a rest, and saw the dead snag in the picture around 100 yards closer. A quick sprint behind some cover, and i was set up! But the bucks were in the timber, lucky for me, cuz I was out of breath! I'm to old to run a 100 yard dash at 9K feet!!
When the first one stepped into a clearing, I took my time, remembered to squeeze carefully, and MISSED!!!!! Steep angle through me off. And he just STOOD there!!! My lucky day! Not his, though!! Best buck in 35 years. Last time I was able to hang a buck like this on the wall was in 1979 In region "H" in Wyoming. Needless to say, I am pretty stoked. I've had a lot of help in Idaho from some of you regulars, and a lot from folks who would PM me. A few i still keep in touch with. You guys are the greatest!

4070img_7703.jpg

4826img_20141011_112438.jpg

Thanks, guys!! This was the third widest buck I have ever shot, 28-1/4. Exactly. I'm giving him every scrap of credit I can!!! I got a 33" buck once, but that was back in the day when that was not that uncommon, especially in Wyoming.
I don't think this old boy would score that well, but I'm not really into score, not even to sure how to estimate it that much. My buddy guessed 160-165. Sounds good to me!!
It's a little bit crazy that this unit is a limited elk tag, but a general deer tag. We only saw 6 deer in 4 days! Saw probably a 100 elk. No wolf sign. I just don't understand why the deer numbers should be so down. 30 years ago, this was a premium deer unit, lots of big deer killed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom