idaho wolf season in 09, thankyou Obama!!!

Hope it continues, it seems that there's always something that pops up to stop it. The IDFG does have wolf seasons for 2009 proposed on their web page.
I'm not sure if Wyoming cares if they delist in that state or not, I think the locals are already controlling the populations.

I wish they could start sooner then next fall. Get a few knocked off before another judge puts a stop to it again. There is a lot of time before we get to fall.

It is good news but at the same time I am not holding my breath, a big push/lawsuit could flip it back around in a instance. I guess what I am saying is I will believe it when I see it. Sure I like many others will put in for a tag if we get the chance but in the mean time I will support SSS.

Haven't we learned anything? I'll believe it when i see it. sure hope that i'm wrong. a nice rug would look great in my trophy room.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-09 AT 09:00AM (MST)[p]Add me to the "I'll believe it when I see it" group. I'll buy a wolf tag the first time they're available, but if that is this year I'll be surprised.

Rodger Schlickeisen, president for Defenders of Wildlife. : "We are outraged and disappointed ... We all expected more from the Obama administration, but Defenders of Wildlife will now move to sue Secretary Salazar as quickly as possible."

Suzanne Stone: "Nothing about this rule has changed since it was rejected and deemed unlawful in a federal court in July of 2008. It still fails to adequately address biological concerns about the lack of genetic exchange ... and it still fails to address the concerns with the states? wolf management plans ... killing too many wolves."

Source - http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2009/2009-03-06-092.asp

Whatever the outcome, it's guaranteed that another lawsuit is going to bleed money out of the wildlife agencies.

>Suzanne Stone: "Nothing about this rule
>has changed since it was
>rejected and deemed unlawful in
>a federal court in July
>of 2008. It still fails
>to adequately address biological concerns
>about the lack of genetic
>exchange ... and it still
>fails to address the concerns
>with the states? wolf management
>plans ... killing too many
>wolves."

If they didn't have genetic diversity with the 30 wolves, or whatever it was, they transplanted in Idaho they will never have it. If they had genetic diversity with 30 wolves, then 30 wolves is enough for the entire state.

there will never be enough genetic diversity for these people they are just looking for a reason to stop us from shooting their beloved wolves. i cant figure out what their obsession is with wolves they are out their massacreing deer and elk at an alarming rate and these people love those animals too dont they

diversity smiversity-
F&G is looking at cutting tags in the sawtooth zone this year because the wolves have killed so many elk. the northern regions are considering shortening the season. A recent study just estimated the economic impact of wolves at $25million/year. This has gone far enough!!!!
Anyone that calls themself a hunter and or wildlife conservationist needs to start thinning the wolf population the minute its not a federal offense, quotas and seasons and merely a technicality....

This is a huge loss to the state of Idaho in direct costs and quality of life. Idaho really should file a lawsuit against the Federal government for its lossess, its totally unfair to expect a few states to bare the burden of this without compensation for a wolf that was not even close to going extinct.

im sorry to say that even IF we do get a season, which i hope we do, the odds of controlling the population with hunters seemes far fetched to me. i have seen wolves, but not very often. two years ago i hand one well within range, but thats the only one. the state needs to do some killing too. maybe im wrong, but i dont think so. dont get me wrong, any dead wolf leads us in the right direction, but i just dont think without assistance, these packs will be brought down to a managable number. what do you guys think?

If every hunter saw "one in range" I'm thinking the problem will take care of itself very quickly.

Not a Federal offense??? Don't think each state would like to have a poster child of the example they set against wolf poachers?? So they can show the courts they care??? Loss of huntin privledges for years PLUS a fine, not me.

For the record I don't believe they should have been reintroduced, wish they'd go away and would shoot one legally in a hot minute BUT not jeopardize my favorite passtime in the process. Be smart about this.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-09 AT 09:19AM (MST)[p] Deepforks, I agree that hunters are not going to control the wolf populations. That's why they need to open the season year round and allow hunting from a motorized unit, such as snowmobiles. Then maybe we'll have a chance.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-09 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]Deepforks
I agree that not many people see wolves. But I know of a lot of people who hear them. I wonder how many people with wolf tag in hand would give up on the big game animal they were hunting to chase howls. So lets say you've located a big buck that you plan on stalking and killing; then you hear a wolf howl that doesn't seem too far away. What would you do? I'm thinking I go after the wolf, unless the buck was 190+

Also there are some talented predator hunters out there that are able to call in coyotes that have had lead flying at them for years. I bet they could call in the fearless wolf.

If they'd let us hunt them in the spring like bears I would have killed one every year for the last three years.

hopefully the season will be lengthy. if i heard a howl, and it was VERY close, i might go investigate. also depends if i knew i could find the buck again. lots of variables. see, for me, i rarely find big bucks so i probably would just be "looking" for a buck anyway:) i did have a giant male about 75 yards broadside two years ago. very hard not to pull the trigger, but it wasnt worth it...at the time.

Last spring I jumped a wolf off of a dead bull at about 20 yards. He ran about 100 yards and sat in the trees and howled at me for 20-30 minutes. I filmed him until my camera ran out of tape. I had a rifle (for bear) and a pistol and I was just hoping he'd give me a reason to use either. Oh ya that bull was one of two dead bulls in that draw, within 100 yards of each other. What a shame.

My experiences tell me that as a "target of opportunity" not much thinning out is gonna happen. I hunt quite a bit right smack in the epicenter of wolf reintroduction country, heard them many times but I've seen exactly one......prolly could have made the shot but to see just one since reintroduction seems like they must be pretty good at evading hunters.

Seems like a guy woud have to focus and get pretty specialized. not sure how many would go to those lengths for a worthless flea bitten critter............

Love to see profesional predator hunters involved in this.

I never thought I would see the day when I would'nt buy a tag, I am on my second year. I still consider myself a hunter. ( I'm in here arent I). The wolves have done tremendous damage to our herds. If they allowed us to shoot a hundred or so of the dogs, will this help? I dont think so. i also believe that it is too little too late for most of us in here. the damage has gone too far for a reasonable recovery. We are to obey the laws of the land but how far do we let it go before we take action. If I pet one, I wouldnt even tell my wife. would you? Don't miss an opportunity.

>I never thought I would see
>the day when I would'nt
>buy a tag, I am
>on my second year. I
>still consider myself a hunter.
>( I'm in here arent
>I). The wolves have done
>tremendous damage to our herds.
>If they allowed us to
>shoot a hundred or so
>of the dogs, will this
>help? I dont think so.
>i also believe that it
>is too little too late
>for most of us in
>here. the damage has gone
>too far for a reasonable
> recovery. We are to
>obey the laws of the
>land but how far do
>we let it go before
>we take action. If I
>pet one, I wouldnt even
>tell my wife. would you?
> Don't miss an opportunity.
>

I disagree TOTALLY!

First, big game herds have the ability to bounce back fairly quickly. Can we eliminate the 1000+/- wolves in the state this year, NO. Do we need to, NO. If you want to kill a Wolf, this will be the year to do it as they will get smart quick. The wolves will adapt at getting shot at and become more reclusive and stick to the back country more. I think we have a good chance at reducing Wolf numbers by 30-40% in the next 2 years. This will greatly help the Elk herds. You are totally off the mark if you think the elk herds are at such a low level that they can't rebound. I agree they won't be at the peaks they were, but where they were at one point there was talk that they were negatively impacting the Mule Deer herd, so maybe not going back to the peak is OK overall.

I think we will need to all go out of our way to kill a few more predators the next few years to help both elk and deer and I myself will for once have tags in my pocket for Wolf, Cougar, and Bear, even though I normally wouldn't hunt cats or bears.

My .02 cents!!

depends on when the seasons will be and length. are you going to not hunt or limit your hunts for deer and elk to kill a wolf this year? ya, me neither. BUT, while im hunting, if i have the opportunity to take one out then i will. i just hope the seasons will be lengthy to give us the opportunity and not interfere too much with our other hunting seasons.

my guess is that if we get to hunt them, it will be on a quota system. probably running concurrently with rifle seasons. Id like to see the season run concurrently with lion season...7 months long. I for one will definately make an extra effort over and above my normal scouting+big game agenda to take out as many as I can...

I think if anybody gets close to a pack just sitting down and letting loose with a coyote howl will have those buggers sitting in their lap in no time.The first 2 years of hunting will be the most productive after that they will be honest up back into the backcountry.I think they should run the season concurrent with cougar season.

B.K. I understand that we all can put in our 2 cents. but have you been to the hills in central id lately? the numbers are not there. the numbers are gone.We aren't talking about just elk. its deer, sheep, moose, and when you take food source from other predators, they lean on other animals that normally wouldn't fall victim. So are there enough breeding stock to reproduce? yes. but it will take allot of years to do so. We need to remember that the wolves will still be present. Did the Bison bounce back? How many years from the near extinction of elk from the railroad era did it take before we were able to have the liberty of buying an elk tag? Do you have that many years left in your hunting carer? I don't so yea I'm alittle bent at the whole scenario. The public needs to see some honest numbers and see where we stand. I know where I stand and its not where I want to be. Thats just my 2 cents.

All I know is that I am a horrible shot, especially when it comes to wolf season, I know that I will have intense "Wolf Fever" so hopefully I only wound about ten or so before I finally fill my tag. I think the vitals on a wolf are located at the very back towards the hips aren't they?

I think there is enough brood stock that the number CAN rebound. We must do our job in predator control if we have the seasons and tags available to us and then hope that Mother Nature helps us along. Unfortunately we cant get back the lost habitat, but if there is one benefit to the stagnant residential development in this state, maybe we will have more quality wintering grounds for deer, elk, and antelope(won't help the moose), than we would have.

How many black bears live in this state. How many elk calves are killed by black bears each spring. I think there impact is huge also.

When it comes to game animal populations I'm still more concerned with Mule Deer than elk. I'm no biologist but I think the loss in quality wintering habitat has taken a major toll there, how do we get that back.

I'm not saying the wolf problem hasn't gotten out of control, but it's not the only impacting factor and if we are lucky we will have a say. I do agree that, as IDFG proposed last year, there will be a regional quota and the season will be closed upon it being reached.

I'm all for sarcasm, but seriously the "poaching" rhetoric has to stop. No gut shooting, No SSS. Let's keep this opportunity available to us and do everything we can to reach our quotas. I think within a few years we won't be able to kill enough of them and the quota's will go away. At least then they will stay away from man and back in the deep bush, which will be a start.

>I'm all for sarcasm, but seriously
>the "poaching" rhetoric has to
>stop. No gut shooting,
>No SSS. Let's keep
>this opportunity available to us
>and do everything we can
>to reach our quotas.

+1

"I'm all for sarcasm, but seriously the "poaching" rhetoric has to stop. No gut shooting, No SSS. Let's keep this opportunity available to us and do everything we can to reach our quotas."

=============

+1 from me too.

RE: Wolf debate on Idaho PTV

I watched it and thought the Fish and Game representative did a very good job. Personally, I thought ID PTV disregarded the facts on the effects of increasing wolf populations and declining elk herds. I wasn't impressed with ID PTV, especially by letting that joke Ralph Maughn participate in the discussion.

well..........Mr.Maughn is a hell of a guy aint he? The F&G rep was OK, but a bit of a push over. You know the enviro wolf loving whacko is gonna be the most vocal/emotional......Send someone who can jump in and wont allow himself to be cut off.

Wonder what the IOGA guy would do to Mr. Maughn if the cameras weren't rolling?

My take is, the wolfs are gonna be managed one way or another. Your average outdoorsman has pretty well had it with the enviros lawsuits. It's time. End of discussion.

"It's time. End of discussion. " +1

im working up a long range load right now for my .270WSM. (aka the .270 Wolf Slayin MoFo.)

QUIT KILLING DEER AND ELK!!! appearantly our discarded gut piles are sustaining the wolves in their hardest time of suvival becuase they cant seem to make enough kills during hunting season. its our fault:)

As of today, 10 groups have announced they are suing the Government on the delisting. Greater Yellowstone Coalition is the latest to jump into the fray. Don't get your hopes up, yet.

>well..........Mr.Maughn is a hell of a
>guy aint he? The F&G
>rep was OK, but a
>bit of a push over.
>You know the enviro wolf
>loving whacko is gonna be
>the most vocal/emotional......Send someone who
>can jump in and wont
>allow himself to be cut
>off.
>
>Wonder what the IOGA guy would
>do to Mr. Maughn if
>the cameras weren't rolling?
>
>My take is, the wolfs are
>gonna be managed one way
>or another. Your average outdoorsman
>has pretty well had it
>with the enviros lawsuits. It's
>time. End of discussion.

++++++++1

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom