Idaho worth putting in for as a non-resident for Elk?

flyingbrass

Idaho worth putting in for as a non-resident for Elk? I'm putting in for several states out west and don't know if Idaho is worth it or not. Also, what is your take on Nevada?
cold dead hands

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-07 AT 06:41AM (MST)[p]I like the rope analogy. I live in AR and won't be able to scout. Probably have to hire a guide or something. I left the question really open ended to get more replies.
cold dead hands

You can buy an over the counter elk tag for some areas/seasons. To buy a 150 dollar license for a chance to draw one of their to 10 hunts is not worth it in my opinion. 1-5% chance of drawing. Nevada may only be worth it if you like to hunt elk, deer, antelope and sheep. And if your planing on applying for 15-20 plus years. I have 8 points for everything and no tags yet. Good luck.

Idaho is kind of a tough pill to swallow with the expense of putting in and no points. If you're an archery hunter put in for the tag you want and if you don't draw pick up an archery elk tag and have at it-I believe there's still lots of good archery opportunities in Idaho. 350 bulls are few and far between in Idaho.

In my opinion Nevada has the best point system (most fair) out of all of the western states, but it's expensive and will likely take you a decade or so to draw a good elk tag-or longer.... It seems as of late that Nevada is more interested in quantity and not quality when it comes to their elk, but that could change at any time.

Out of all of the states, Wyoming probably offers you the best opportunity to hunt and kill a "good" bull.

If you are planning on archery hunting most of the state is otc,there are a few exceptions.you have to pick a Zone.most of the zones have rifle opportunity also spike,cow,etc.. check the regs.no points for draw hunts, nonres quota is 10% of available tags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom