Idiotic Utah permit draw

fatherofthree

So here is my biggest gripe about the Utah Draw. The order of the draw goes by species, deer, elk, pronghorn, then the once in a lifetimes. You can apply for one of the first three and one OIL species, but you can only draw one. Since the bucks and bulls draw is first, you are ineligible for the once in a lifetime draw if you receive any limited entry or CWMU deer, elk, or pronghorn tag.

This has to be the stupidest thing on the face of the planet. Is there anybody who would rather have any limited entry tag over a once in a lifetime tag? Maybe if you're putting in for female goat, or cow bison I understand, but anything else? I also might understand maybe putting the premium deer units before OIL and the premium tags on Elk Units as well, but all of them?

Why not have the drawing be done in this order? Note, order of OIL and bucks & bulls doesn't matter as you can only apply for one of each, so the important thing is why not OIL first except the cow/female tags??? Anybody else onboard with this to vent to your RAC and Wildlife Board Reps?

DB sheep
RMB sheep
Moose
Goat
Bison
Deer
Elk
Pronghorn
Cow Bison
Female Goat

I've drawn tags in the bucks and bulls draw in ?05, ?06, and am guaranteed will draw pronghorn in 2010. This is because I play the best odds and just would rather hunt more often, regardless of the unit. Thus, I will have been ineligible for the OIL draw for 3 of the past 6 years. I would trade all three of the tags I drew for the OIL I'm waiting on, but obviously don't want to just buy points for bucks and bulls. I just think it's asinine. As one guy (I actually think it might be an 8 yr old using his parents computer) on this forum always says, why?

I doubt it will change. If you want the oil tag then buy pts for the others then move back to them. There's a lot of luck in this system but you gotta decide exactly what you want and go for that, you can't have your hand in every pot.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I understand where you are coming from with your ideologies, but if you drew deer and elk and have the points to get antelope this next fall I would say you have been in the game for a long time. I doubt it will change. Personally I wish it was OIL first, but I only have 6 points so far on Mt. Goat so it does not make a difference to me really, because I am just as likely to not get an elk tag with 8 points as a goat with 6.

Dillon

Right Horny man, like people really buy points for deer/elk and put them on hold till they draw the OIL? Yeah right, all I'm saying is the years you draw something else, maybe it was your lucky year on OIL, wouldn't you rather have the OIL if that were the case one year? check out the moose odds last year for hunt n slope 3 corners. I wonder if that guy with the max in that pool drew a pronghorn CWMU or something instead of the moose which he was guranteed.....

Or maybe that person applied with a friend that had less than max points. Regardless, he gets the tag next year if he wants it.

Seems like mach ado about nothing to me.

In 1993 one could apply for every tag, but only draw one. That year I applied for an antleope tag in a unit where they gave four tags. There were 7 total applications for those four tags, me being one of them. I was unsuccessful in that draw.

I did however end up drawing a Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag, which that year held the worst odds of any tag offered. Sometimes you have to be unlucky to be lucky.

I do feel it would be best to draw the OIL tags before the limited entry tags.

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-10 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]If you draw oil tags first then odds get worse. That could be the reason why it is the way it is.

Everybody here agrees the hornier the Better!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Wait I am confused. Aren't limited entry deer and elk tags a once in a lifetime tag.

I mean a tag every 15 years is almost a lifetime.

--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

Not to step on any toes but I like the draw line up.

I am on my second go-round on LE elk and I have Rocky Ram, Mnt. Goat and Shiras Moose on the wall.

I think they lower the number of OIL appl by having the LE draws first, with the 1 tag your done rule......

Put in for a point then on your LE species and just go for your OIL species till ya draw.......whew---how sad a plan that would be! ha

Robb

While the order does seem "skiwompus" in my view, it forces everyone to evaluate their priorities. For an old guy like me, I have to apply for premium elk with my 15 LE points and hope I don't draw so I can be drawn with my 16 Desert Bighorn points. Yes, some of us have not drawn everything like Robb and must keep hoping we do before we are too old to hunt! And yes the current system slightly improves my OIL chances by throwing out guys who would rather hunt antelope than sheep.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-10 AT 09:03AM (MST)[p]I would prefer the draw be conducted like New Mexico's. They draw by hunter and then go down the list. If tags for your first choice are gone, then they go to your second and third from there.

This way the lucky guy drawn early gets his first choice, whatever that is. I understand that it's just choices between hunts of the same species but I think the main concept could be applied. If the guy above has 15 points for elk and 16 for sheep, he should be able to designate which is his top choice IMO.

I personally don't care. If I draw my LE elk tag before a OIL I would be ecstatic. That is just as much of a coveted hunt for me as OIL. Now that being said, last year I drew out for Rocky Mountain Goat when I had 7 points each for elk or goat. I was extremely happy and had a great hunt. I would have been just as happy with a LE elk tag and hunt.

If you draw a "LE" or an "OIL", you are a lucky bastard so why complain. Three Limited Entry hunts in three years and you are crying about it??? Shoot your antelope this year and then you have the rest of your life to draw a OIL tag. With your luck, you will draw that in 2011 and get 4 for 4. In Utah, that's a pretty amazing accomplishment. Be grateful, many of us have never drawn anything.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-10 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]+1 HJB. You can feel the superstition flowing from his argument. "What if the year you draw an atelope tag was the year you were going to draw a OIL tag", as if every drawing that will ever happen has already been determined. You don't have "a year", you have odds, every year. The longer you apply, the better those odds become. There is no such thing as "the year" you meant to draw.
......personally I drew a San Juan ML elk tag last year after 16 years..when I saw successful in that e.mail, I was so happy, I totally forgot that I had applied for a Moose tag until I reviewed my bonus points a week or so ago. Now the only complaint I have is I had a blast down there and it is tearing my heart out that I may never get to hunt those big stinkys in this state again.....I'd give up every opportunity I will ever have at a OIL tag in this state to hunt that unit again.

so instead of changing the order of the species drawn------would it be better to just have it you could draw both from the get-go?

Ya know, draw your LE species and then Draw you OIL too?

Luck of the draw type deal and no more anal 1 tag your done in the draw?

Guys would do it, draw a LE tag and an OIL tag in the draw.

Robb

HJB, not 3 tags in 3 years, but 3 in six,,,,, sort of.

'03 drew Desert Bighorn with 3 points
'05 Limited Entry Elk with 12? whatever 2 under max was
'06 Bear tag spring
'06 CWMU deer with 2 points
'10 WILL BE pronghorn with 3 points

I'm just saying I drew Desert with 3 points, now I have 6 for Rocky Mountain, shouldn't I have been done and on to goat by now??? :) Oh wait, I never had a chance to draw the OIL the majority of the past few years.

Some day I'll be like Robb having killed sheep, goat and moose. I'd then be complaining and be lobbying for a Twice in a lifetime draw for one of the OIL species.

And I would LOVE a chance to be able to draw both LE & OIL.

Still probably never would, but like a guy said at the RAC meeting a few years ago when they were talking about making us choose between OIL & LE to make the odds better- "I'd rather have two lines in the water than just one"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom