If I'd been hunting blue jays.............................

huntswnm

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-06 AT 02:11PM (MST)[p]I just bought a Johnny Stewart cassette caller from a friend of mine. I went out today to try to call some fox. I know about scent controll, wind direction, etc. I didn't call any in but I didn't see much sign in the canyons I was in either. My question is, usually 5-10 minutes into the calling, at every stand, a huge bunch of blue jays would come in, fly around, and make a huge racket. Does this show that atleast they believed it was a injured rabbit and that the calling worked, theoretically, or is that a bad sign?
Thanks
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

you will call all sorts of things while "predator" calling....everything from birds of prey, Owls, eagles, hawks ect...to all sorts of little birds, crow, elk, deer, antelope......and anything else you can imagine...some i guess are curious as to what is making the racket others come in on the defensive side....just depends....But yes in my opinion, ( and i call around a 100 or so dogs in every year) the "blue jays" that come in, make it even more life like to the coyote, kind of a live decoy if you will. Really watch the crows as well, I don't know how many times i have called in a crow and watched it come in along a valley and have it start swooping down. And you wondering what in the world is it doing. but then all of a sudden a coyote trots out of the grass, or brush or what ever. But the crow seems to be "bomb diving" a coyote coming to the call...why i dont know but i have seen that quite a few times....Also on fox, most of the time, the first 2-3 stand of the day is the very best....i havn't called in very many during middle of the day. Very first thing is best for them. Anyway hope this helps, and good luck.
tommy

Went out yesterday and made 3 sets. Lots of birds...lol A bluejay, hawk, and a couple crows. Also, I do agree on the crow thing, I look to them for a glimmer of hope something is following close by when they drop in.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I will keep plugging along. I did enjoy watching the birds, they are crazy!
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I LOVE WHEN 2 OR 3 YOTES COME TO THE CALL TOGATHER, THEY TRY TO BEAT EACH OTHER TO THE PREY. THEY LOSE ALL CUNNING & CAUTION, THIS HAPPENED THIS MORNING TO ME...KILLED ONE AT 12 YARDS, THE 2ND AT 25 YARDS...THEY WERE VERY AGRESSIVE TO THE CALL. YD.

I HAVE ALSO HAD GOOD RESULTS ON YOTES BY BLOWING A CROW CALL ONLY. IF THE CROWS ARE MAKEING A FUSS THE YOTE THINKS THERES EASY FOOD AVAILABLE. BIRDS ARE LIKE CONFIDENCE DECOYS, THEY ALSO ATTRACT THE YOTES. YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom