If you had $15k?

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
if you had $15,000 to spend on a 2015 hunt? What would you hunt ,where would you hunt it, and why?

Traditional >>>------->

Africa.

Always wanted to go there and because I think I could do just about any hunt in North America for under $15K that I would want to do.

You could probably pull off a Dall sheep or Brown bear hunt for around that price, but those don't interest me that much with the guide requirements.

If I hadn't gotten lucky and drawn my Mountain goat tag for Wyoming this year I would have probably said a combo goat/moose hunt in Canada.

Coveted NE Utah Buck & Bull!

Oh!

Did I Say Archery?:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

For me it would be Alaska for moose & caribou. I've been to Alaska twice fishing, but have never hunted it. I would love to go back for sure!

I'd also think about doing mule deer &/or elk somewhere. I've killed some okay bucks and bulls, but never anything "big".

My legs and back are giving up the ghost but i still like to go.

Maybe a hunt on a big private Ranch in noted country where i'd take a ride with a like minded individual, look over a lot country, a lot of bucks, and finally put a bit of a sneak on to get in decent range and take the best of the bunch, in my eyes, on the last day or two of the trip.

I've been there and done just that for little more than the cost of lic and tag but it's been a good while ago. I'd like to do it again.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>So you're saying an anthro tag
>isn't worth it Bessy?
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

I've said that for many years!

All I was meanin is:

If You don't Draw I'll Sell you My PISSCUTTER Tags!:D:D:D

>Alaskan Pennisula Brown Bear hunt if
>I could find a good
>one that cheap.

+1! With a bow!

Tanzania. Just to hunt and see the country Hemingway wrote about. If that failed.....Argentina may be the new Africa.

Sage,
I think you described what my North American choice would be. I think the Jicarilla would be about perfect.

I've got a friend I'm looking in to Africa with. I'm not gonna decide until after the expo in SLC this month. I wanna see what some of the outfitters have to say. I'm open to most anything. Archery will be my weapon of choice.
Sheep is on a short list, but I hurt my back this year and I have knees of an 85 year old according to my surgeon.

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-15 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p]I would load up as many of my boys as I could and go do a DIY Elk hunt in as many states as $15k would do.

DZ

Hunting one of those giant Kodiak bears would be fun. I have no idea if $15,000 is enough, but..........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Northen Qu?bec caribou. Then when I'm done hunting lakers, pike, grayling, and big brookies.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-15 AT 06:29PM (MST)[p]Yacht based Mt. Goat hunt (fall) in Alaska. And you would be able to get all the crabbing, fishing, and sea duck hunting in on the same hunt.

>Sage,
>I think you described what my
>North American choice would be.
> I think the Jicarilla
>would be about perfect.

You need Mo money for that!! 17,500 to get in the 2014 draw.
Later
Foghorn

Fog,

You're right I hadn't looked for awhile! Better save a few more pennies. I'm actually planning Africa July 2016 right now. And I'll do ibex in the next 10 years too if things work out. You only live once, right!!!

>I would spend it all on
>a hunt with Rich's Hunting
>Adventures. I hear good
>things.

I was thinking the same thing..... if you have another 15K to spend on an actual hunt! LOL
Zeke

I would break up the money in to 2 trips.
Start with a 3 day dove trip to Argentina. If you like to pull the trigger, there is nothing like it and the accomodations/experience are fantastic. Around $7000 all in including airfare.
Then I would spend another $7k on the best 4th season Colorado deer tag I could find. Leaves a grand for license, tags, gas etc.

If I hadn't already been, AK caribou. But since I've been, it would have to be either the San Carlos or White Mountain Res for elk.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

$15k won't get you a Dall ram, Alaska-Yukon moose, or a Brown Bear with a top tier outfitter.

I'd hunt ibex in Mongolia, but my most of my $15k is going to the University of Wyoming right now. Kids sure are expensive!

You can get a Wyoming Commissioner's Elk tag for about $10,000 and hunt in any unit, any season.

I'd hunt for a new home... :)

If I could, I'd love to do some Combo Hunt in Alaska, including a bear if 15k would cover it... Moose, Caribou, wolf, they are all animals I'd like to pursue. I don't think I'd go after those sheep or goats up there. I'm just not extreme enough... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

>$15k won't get you a Dall
>ram, Alaska-Yukon moose, or a
>Brown Bear with a top
>tier outfitter.

That makes me so sick.
Gawd, I miss the 80's...

I'm leaning towards a Yukon archery moose.
Anyone have any good recommendations?

Traditional >>>------->

Horsecreek,

check www.yukonguides.net

Be ready to add at least another $10k for that moose hunt when you add everything from your door to that moose mount hanging in your house. Looks like the going rate in the Yukon is around $19,000.

HunterHarry,

I agree about longing for the days of $3,500 Mtn Goat and $11,000 Stone Sheep hunts.

A 400" red stag, all the color variations of Fallow.
New Zealand here I come!!!
Oh wait I don't have the 15k to do that with.
Would love to spend a couple of month's in Australia and New Zealand. New Caledonia..........
Hoping I draw a Gila archery tag.
I can afford that!!!!
Later
Foghorn

>Horsecreek,
>
>check www.yukonguides.net
>
>Be ready to add at least
>another $10k for that moose
>hunt when you add everything
>from your door to that
>moose mount hanging in your
>house. Looks like the
>going rate in the Yukon
>is around $19,000.
>
>
>HunterHarry,
>
>I agree about longing for the
>days of $3,500 Mtn Goat
>and $11,000 Stone Sheep hunts.
>

Thanks!

Traditional >>>------->

>I'd go to old Mexico to
>hunt desert sheep!
>
>The original post did say $150,000....right?
>

LMAO!
Zeke

i would go to wyoming and hunt deer with non-typical outfitters have you seen some of the buck's they have been killing!!

DIY- float trip for Alaskan moose $7,000

Pay for a buddy/brother to go on float trip $7,000

Keep the memories forever

Or ......

Split it up like suggested above and go on a big road trip with hunting buddies or kids and hunt 5 animals throughout the west.

Or.....

Blow all of it on a Dall hunt in Alaska with the most affordable outfit.

North East Sea ducks, brant and geese in the fall
Mexico or Argentina ducks and doves.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Just booked a Dall sheep/Caribou combo hunt in 2016
This is gonna be the longest year and a half wait!!!

Traditional >>>------->

So much for the $15k budget? :)
Good for you. I think you will have a blast.
Hope you will post pics when you get back.

One of the last animals that I've always wanted to hunt are Caribou. Alaska or Canada doesn't matter. A DIY drop camp for a week somewhere with my cousin (I'd pay his way). Any left over $$ would have to go to do something with the wife (happy wife happy life).

Smokepole

>Arctic Red River Outfitters
>

Awesome place, magnificent animals, great guides and excellent outfitter. Need I say more?
Congratulations!
Zeke

Hell No I ain't pulling the feline's tail...

https://daviddenies.com/ebrochure/index.html#/26-27

A week of pulling the trigger and the old tap handle...

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

I see littlebig has been up there & Spent some change!

Well HorseCreek!

Did you go over Budget?

Take a week and my boys and go rabbit hunting. When I am too old to get out anymore those memories we can relive, plus with all you bastards hording .22, I would need 10k for shells!!

Seriously though, my dad died 12 years ago. We talked about Alaska, and elk in Montana for years. I was younger, had no kids and construction was booming, it wouldn't have been hard to come up with some extra cash, but we didn't do it, kept waiting for next year, then he got lung cancer. Gosh darnit(can't edit that Brian), get your dad, and go!!!! You have a lifetime of selfish pursuits, but you don't always get next year, DO IT THIS YEAR, or sit around every year wishing you would have!! I worked with him every day for 15 years, but I really only remember the hunts!!

Now, how about those .22 shells in trade for my truck? Or house?

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

It's over budget but I'm not doing anything big this year....(yet)
So all I had to do was pay the deposit. Still looking at trying to make a last minute caribou hunt work for this year.
I can't wait! There will be lots of pics! I'd like to take my dad but he's got two artificial hips. Don't know if he could make it for 12 days. We'll see ?

Traditional >>>------->

well I'd hook up with Doyle moss......o wait that's not enough money...that's chicken feed to him...

HC,
If you are hunting sheep with ARRO, you know you can add a Bou if you have time. Since your already up there that's a relatively inexpensive addition.
They have great bulls in their area. Just sayin.

I think I would archery hunt Brown Bear in Alaska. I know that sounds kinda crazy... but for some reason I've always wanted to try it out.

Horse, congrats that's my dream hunt. I have had a few friends do this hunt and they all rave about it. I have another friend who is headed up the last week of July in 2016 for the same hunt. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

>Horse, congrats that's my dream hunt.
>I have had a few
>friends do this hunt and
>they all rave about it.
>I have another friend who
>is headed up the last
>week of July in 2016
>for the same hunt. Good
>luck, and let us know
>how it goes.

I'll be there July 25-August 5

Traditional >>>------->

Just watched a show on outdoor channel of a hunt that would be my dream hunt if I suddenly came into an extra 15K. It was a horse back multi-species hunt in northern BC. Beautiful country, good moose and billy. Just to get to ride across that country would be worth the trip and $$

Plains game in Africa. I would like to have a kudu and impala mounted and shoot and do euro mounts of everything else I could afford.

Some of you guys need to look at the price tags on hunts in Canada and Alaska. 15k isn't going far.

A bull and a buck on the 2V Ranch in CO, unit 40. The hunt is so awesome they don't even advertise, and the Chesnicks are the greatest hosts.

HorseCreek, best wishes for a successful hunt! I know you will be ready and make the best of it.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Caribou with friends and family. It is on my bucket list.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Horsecreek- I had relatives in Alaska and did a fly-in DIY caribou hunt and a DIY moose hunt. It was absolutely a blast. Good choice, You're gonna love it. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Right now I have my heart set on an archery Ram, but I've got a couple rifles that are dyeing to get in on some action.

Traditional >>>------->

Hey HorseCreek!

Wouldn't You Feel more like a Man if you just took your Recurve?

Home Built Cedar Arrows!

Hand Knapped Broad heads!

I'll Loan you my Home Built Knife with Knapped Blade & Antler Handle!

If you're gonna do this Hunt you need to do it Right & Give them Animals a Fair Chance!:D

I'm 100% sure you could get it done with the Primitive Weaponry!

wet_boot would probably even Loan you His Buffalo Brief!:D

(((You know I'm RAZZIN Ya!:D)))

Best of Luck!

One of these days I'd like to kill something with a bow I made all the way down to the string and stone heads. But it's not happening at n this hunt. I gotta be able to shoot 120+ yards with the bow and at least 1500 with the rifle. ?

Traditional >>>------->

HorseCreek, you made an excellent choice!

Pre64, you cannot hunt Tanzania for $15,000 all in. But there are other Africa options that work nicely for $15,000. For me, if I had $15,000 to blow on a hunt right now, it'd be for another African hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom