Illegal 4 wheelers

johnnyutah

I was sitting on a meadow on the muzz hunt this year just watching a 2-point. An old guy in a razor comes up the bottom where there is a trail and blazes right up the top. There goes all game that was moving through there. He sits for 5 minutes and moves on. I could get confrontational but then my morning is over trying to bust the guy. I've had this happen enough times that I think I will start confronting them.

Any suggestions how to legally confront an illegal 4 wheeler? I can't tell you how many times I've packed in somewhere just to find a new 4 wheeler trail.

Get video/photographic evidence, try to get a plate number or OHV decal number, and report the incident. That is my suggestion.

Its a sickening feeling no doubt. I turn in several Utahns every year in Idaho. I take a picture of my GPS next to the tag number on the quad.

>What was illegal about it if
>there was a trail?

I'm guessin the sign that said no motorized vehicles beyond this point he past a couple miles back.

Is JohnyUtah any Relation to bobbyUtah?

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-16 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]theox,

Trail was at the bottom of the clearing, not the top.

elkassassin,
I don't know bobby.

Others,

Thanks for the other tips. Where is the best place to report: DWR, BLM/Forest Service, local law enforcement?

All the above are great suggestions, while up helping my daughter in law and some friends on the general season deer hunt we watched vehicle after vehicle drive up ridges to the point that there are now two track roads all the way up them!! I called the wasatch county sheriffs office twice on two different occasions and was told the DNR officer would get ahold of me, well that never happened. The second weekend we were up and there were 5 different vehicles and UTV's sitting on top of the ridge that the rest of us hike, once again I called with NO response, a few days after the hunt ended I had some road time and called springville DWR and asked who the DNR officer was for my area they gave me the name and # of a gentleman named Lucas T??? I called him to be told that they are very aware of the problem and that the state land manager is very well aware of the problem ( statewide) but Lucus told me that they are very short handed and they can't be everywhere all the time, I totally felt like it was a "thanks for the call but what do you want me to do about it" VERY disappointed!!! in the meantime people continue to take there trucks and ATV/UTV anywhere they please with no consequences. And then there's the idiot that stands around scratching his head wondering why they continue to close down access. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

>>What was illegal about it if
>>there was a trail?
>
>
>I'm guessin the sign that said
>no motorized vehicles beyond this
>point he past a couple
>miles back.

Where did it say that?

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-16
>AT 02:43?PM (MST)

>
>theox,
>
>Trail was at the bottom of
>the clearing, not the top.
>
>
>elkassassin,
>I don't know bobby.
>
>Others,
>
>Thanks for the other tips. Where
>is the best place to
>report: DWR, BLM/Forest Service,
>local law enforcement?

Ok that's what I was wondering!

Oneshot,

That's what I was afraid of. Seems like you have to take off half a day to pursue this. That's why I haven't lifted a finger before. I am going to start getting vehicle numbers and pursue it that way.

>All the above are great suggestions,
>while up helping my daughter
>in law and some friends
>on the general season deer
>hunt we watched vehicle after
>vehicle drive up ridges to
>the point that there are
>now two track roads all
>the way up them!! I
>called the wasatch county sheriffs
>office twice on two different
>occasions and was told the
>DNR officer would get ahold
>of me, well that never
>happened. The second weekend we
>were up and there were
>5 different vehicles and UTV's
>sitting on top of the
>ridge that the rest of
>us hike, once again I
>called with NO response, a
>few days after the hunt
>ended I had some road
>time and called springville DWR
>and asked who the DNR
>officer was for my area
>they gave me the name
>and # of a gentleman
>named Lucas T??? I called
>him to be told that
>they are very aware of
>the problem and that the
>state land manager is very
>well aware of the problem
>( statewide) but Lucus told
>me that they are very
>short handed and they can't
>be everywhere all the time,
>I totally felt like it
>was a "thanks for the
>call but what do you
>want me to do about
>it" VERY disappointed!!! in the
>meantime people continue to take
>there trucks and ATV/UTV anywhere
>they please with no consequences.
>And then there's the idiot
>that stands around scratching his
>head wondering why they continue
>to close down access. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
>

I agree with everything you said.
The other issue is that if you're on a DIRT ROAD on a quad and it's not approved for them, a big ticket is coming your way while the real dirt bags force their machines up every trail and rip stuff up!
I just scratch my head.
Zeke

Some motorcycle riders do the same in the back country of Wyoming too. The more powerful the machines become, the more it'll happen. There will always be that crowd out there who will go wherever they want.
I caught some dudes above my house here in Utah last spring riding on a closed road and snapped pics of their plates, and said a few words. I never did turn them in. Probably should've........
It's something that'll get a person fired up!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom