"I'm going to shoot a 4 point buck" (Pic)

spotnstalkID

Went out hunting last week with my dad and a couple buddies. My buddy Mark and I were hunting elk but my dad and Monte just had deer tags. As I noted in a post a couple weeks ago, we had no idea what the area was like, what to expect, etc. We got up there on Monday and had a few days of scouting before the season opened on Thursday. We did just that. After a couple days of scouting we hadn't seen much, a few deer and alot of elk sign. My dad has never been into deer hunting much, more of a bear hunter/waterfowl hunter/fly fisher, but never got into deer, and especially trophy deer.

The night before opening morning my dad all of a sudden blurts out "I'm going to get up in the morning and go shoot myself a 4 point buck". After not seeing anything bigger than a simple 2 point the previous 3 days, we all laughed at his joke. He laughed at us as though we were the jokers. The following morning at 4:30, he jumps out of bed and says "It's time to go shoot my 4 point buck". Once again.... haha. We had our breakfasts, packed our packs and headed out.

We all headed out in the same direction but Mark and I were looking for elk and had a couple ridges to climb over and a few miles to get where we needed to, dad and Monte stayed within a mile or two of camp, eventually spliting up and going their seperate ways. About 10:30 Mark and I heard what sounded like the first shots of the day ringing out but they sounded way off in the distance. Shrugging it off, we headed out further into our hunt.

About 5:30 we returned to camp. As I approach camp I look and see a gamebag around a hanging animal. Needless to say I was excited and went to inspect. Upon further inspection, I find it is a nice whitetail (4 point) buck. I dug into the tag to see whos name was on it and low and behold, dad got his 4 point buck. A nice ( I don't know much about whitetails so you can call it what you want) 3x4 with nice eyegaurds, 4x5 or "9 point". Either way it will be on my dad's wall as the nicest deer he has taken to date, and of course the memories that came with it. Like I said, my dad has never been a deer hunter, never claimed to be, and has nothing to show that he is, but after this hunt I must say, he seems to be hooked.

4330437f04272e53.jpg

Needless to say, I walked around all the rest of that night saying outloud "I am going to go shoot a 7x7 360 class bull tomorrow". LOL. It didn't happen, but I must say, by the end of the week we really started to get the area figured out and will definitely be making a return trip there every year. It is a shame I only had 2-1/2 days to hunt but I will hopefully be making another trip later this year, and definitely next year.

Jaxon

Congrats to your Dad!
The smile says it all.
Wait until he sees a trophy mule deer,
then the sickness really sets in.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

That is a really neat story! You must be very proud of your dad!:) Stories like that make my day!

Steve

Thanks for the comments.

I just figured everybody on here always wants to see the end result and hear the story of a successful hunt. I'm just glad that he got something after forking over the non-resident fees for it all. It was just kindof ironic/humorous that a guy that had never gotten excited about deer hunting, and hadn't seen a decent buck in the area he was hunting, jumps up and claims (like we all do every year) that he is going to go shoot a nice deer, and does.

Chef,
You're right, a muley is what we were actually after (for him). The area we hunted had a 17% success rate being whitetails so we didn't think that was going to be the case, but he'll take it.

If you were to mention fishing to him, he was all over it, if you were to mention shooting or bear hunting and ask him if he wanted to go, he was in the truck before you could get your question out, but deer hunting he never took interest in other than what I did with it. Now it sounds like he's so anxious for next year to come around he can hardly stand it.

Good times is all. Hope you enjoy the pic.
Jaxon

Great Whitey!! Good job, and good luck next year!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

spotnstalk,

Great story and pic! I must admit I'm somewhat intrigued by this year's deer hunt here in UT because my dad has shown a rekindled interest. The past few years, he's wanted to "go along for the ride," but hasn't even bothered getting a tag. But this year he told me he wanted to get a tag, so I'm anxious to get out and share that passion with him again. Thanks for sharing your experience!

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom