In case you didn’t see this

I don't see much about an auction... looks pretty positive to me.

Attachments

• 01.10.23-Washoe-One-Pager-PDF.pdf
    817.7 KB · Views: 35
I don't see much about an auction... looks pretty positive to me.
That one pager says that 15,860 acres of public land to be sold at fair market value.

Of those acres being sold, many of them are in mule deer winter range and antelope range. Look at the areas to the East of the Pah Rah's along the north boundary of I-80 corridor. Lots of deer and antelope habitat will be lost to development. The antelope herd in the Pah Rah range is already hurting due to the overpopulation of feral horses. I had a tag there last year and saw 20-30 times as many horses as antelope. Last thing they need is more development into homes.

There are some good things about this proposal, but the bad outweighs the good in my opinion. There is a lot more in-depth information here: https://landsbill.org/ Take a look at the maps that show the public lands slated for "disposal".

That one pager says that 15,860 acres of public land to be sold at fair market value.

Of those acres being sold, many of them are in mule deer winter range and antelope range. Look at the areas to the East of the Pah Rah's along the north boundary of I-80 corridor. Lots of deer and antelope habitat will be lost to development. The antelope herd in the Pah Rah range is already hurting due to the overpopulation of feral horses. I had a tag there last year and saw 20-30 times as many horses as antelope. Last thing they need is more development into homes.

There are some good things about this proposal, but the bad outweighs the good in my opinion. There is a lot more in-depth information here: https://landsbill.org/ Take a look at the maps that show the public lands slated for "disposal".
I hear you on the range in question, but unfortunately, with the Eastern sprawl out of Reno happening like it is, it'll always have a target on its back. However, the trade-off of ~15,000 acres to protect ~900,000 of arguably very similar habitat and winter range utilization is something to really think about. My question is, when comparing the NCAs they propose to "replace" or encompass the WSAs, it looks like they are getting downsized in some areas.

"Wilderness Study Areas (commonly known as WSAs) are places that have wilderness characteristics; that is a minimum size, naturalness, and outstanding opportunities for recreation which make them eligible for designation as wilderness... The establishment of a WSA served to identify areas for Congress to consider for addition to the National Wilderness Preservation System." - BLM.gov

So it's as if they have finalized their determination of what study areas should be protected, and in this case, as NCAs. Which is still great, but they should dive into the details of this conversion a little further.

I hear you on the range in question, but unfortunately, with the Eastern sprawl out of Reno happening like it is, it'll always have a target on its back. However, the trade-off of ~15,000 acres to protect ~900,000 of arguably very similar habitat and winter range utilization is something to really think about. My question is, when comparing the NCAs they propose to "replace" or encompass the WSAs, it looks like they are getting downsized in some areas.

"Wilderness Study Areas (commonly known as WSAs) are places that have wilderness characteristics; that is a minimum size, naturalness, and outstanding opportunities for recreation which make them eligible for designation as wilderness... The establishment of a WSA served to identify areas for Congress to consider for addition to the National Wilderness Preservation System." - BLM.gov

So it's as if they have finalized their determination of what study areas should be protected, and in this case, as NCAs. Which is still great, but they should dive into the details of this conversion a little further.
There are some good things about the bill, but why do we have to have almost 16,000 acres of public land get sold off? There is already plenty of private land to the south of I-80 in that area. Why not let those private lands get developed before we sell off the public lands?

900,000 in question is already public land, therefore protected from building housing on it… why sell off almost 16,000 to be developed as “ low income housing” ? News flash, not everyone gets to live everywhere they want. Look at lots of states right now, CA, CO, UT not everyone gets to live on the beach in San Diego or summit county, we should not be chopping up our public land to build subsidized housing

Unfortunately, these public lands, specifically the BLM portions, are not protected from a change in status, or we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place. It is a question of indefinite protection, not just today's current status. This is why we have firm designations for NCAs, wilderness, national parks, etc. All of the BLM land in question, including the WSAs to the North, are in danger if not given clear and defined protections. WSAs are simply regulatory placeholders for a place that "looks, acts, feels" like wilderness, but it isn't until congressional approval. Without this Bill, these lands continue to be in limbo and still up for debate until their protections are no longer temporary.

"This legislation creates both Wilderness Areas and National Conservation Areas to permanently protect some of the existing public lands within Washoe County. Land that is currently managed as a Wilderness Study Area that is not designated by this legislation as Wilderness or as part of a National Conservation Area will go back to being managed as multiple use." - Landsbill.org

A potential result could be that in 10, 20, 50, and 100 years, Congress could determine them not eligible for Wilderness designation (for whatever reason), strip them of their semi-protected status, and then put them on the chopping block for additional disposal. Then we've lost everything we are talking about today.

You can shut the borders of every state in the US tomorrow, but that won't come close to fixing the problem of folks in need of low-income housing... but that's another story entirely and a conversation that should live elsewhere on the internet.

I would be interested in hearing BHA's stance on this bill.

Since you seem to well versed buckshot… seems like really awful precedent to start selling off public land. I understand this happened in the past. I also understand sometimes there are land swaps, but just about every politician on either side of the aisle would like to get to chop up blm and NF and sell it to the highest bidder or “subsidize housing” on it to buy votes on their side of the perspective aisle. Which all of this just appears to be opening up giant cans of worms…

I agree that our public lands have been and always will be at risk. But utilizing this opportunity to actually protect some of these lands should be considered carefully. It's nice knowing folks like BHA and others like them have their eyes on this and can bring in experts to vet the situation.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom