Info on Colorado Muleys

B

bull_n_rut

Just wanted to know if anyone would share some info on where to hunt muleys in Colorado? Not looking for your honey hole, just a place to start. Thanks

I think a lot of people will be willing to help but that's a really broad question with a lot of variables.

Are you looking for an archery, muzzleloader, or rife hunt? Do you want to wait to draw, and do you have any points already? Would you be satisfied with any buck, or is it a trophy thing? Are you doing it yourself, or looking for semi or fully guided?

There are a lot of good hunting opportunities here, and there are trophy deer in almost any unit you look at. I would forget the high points NW units and go with other units that are taking 0-3 points to draw. There are some good muley oportunities on the eastern plains too, but that's mostly private.

With some more specifics you'll get a better answer.

Nick

Thanks Nick! Would be rifle hunting and DIY of course. Wanting to do a hunt sometime soon, dont really want to wait 10 years or so. Of course Im looking for a trophy, but I would like to hunt a unit that has good bucks with a few great ones to be found. Would prefer an area to pack in and get away from the crowd. Just got done waiting to draw my Oregon tags which took 10 years for elk and 11 for antelope. Would like to invest 3-4 years or so on a decent unit. Missed out on too much hunting by waiting that long. Besides, a mediocre unit in other states is equivilant to Oregons' best
Thanks
Chris

I have hunted GMU 211 a few times,this area gets alot of hunting pressure ,but I always got a buck.The average trophy from that area would be anything over 20 inch spred , they are hard to find,but there is always a few taken every year.The good is that you can draw a license with out any points.It is a good area to hunt while you are building points.

Thanks for the tip rem. 211 was one on my list. I also have unit 12 and 13. heard they are almost a sure draw with good deer populations. Im also still trying to figure out Colorados synopsis.

You can buy a 12/13 unit over the counter. However, after the 2nd season most of the deer move low and are on private and what little public there is, it gets hit pretty hard. Odds of drawing 11/211 with zero points is about 25-30%. If you don't draw, buy a 12/13 permit and spend some time in the area to learn the country. Then in 2009 you can guarantee drawing a permit and have a better idea of what to expect. You could draw 3/301 every year with zero points, you may want to consider this as an option.

We plan to hunt every other year in unit 22 and if lucky in the draw, we'll hunt every year during 3rd season. This last year (2007) was slow, too hot, not enough snow to push the deer down low into 11/211. With a lot of snow, it can be dang fun hunt. The link below talks about the lower yampa hunting.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/93820C3F-63A2-4F8B-9D57-EF0FFE65F6F9/0/NWLowerYampaGMUs.pdf

Smokepole

Smokepole, thanks for the info, i will do some more research before the deadlines.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom