info on unit #1 ldaho

M

muley_legend

we are heading up over thanksgiving and i would like to get a good idea of were to go and how the hunting is, it is a 12 hour dive for us so we would like some info if anyone has any what should we expect for deer mule or whitetail looking for 170 class or beter for mule deer is that to much to ask for. and whitetail dont know what to expect at all (thanks)

I can't say I know it really well, but I lived up there one summer, and it is tough country. I don't know if you are familiar with the unit, but a lot of it is steep with really thick timber. Not many mule deer either, I saw a few deer, both mulies and whitetail at the Boundary Creek WMA right on the Canadian border, lots of bears up there too. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Dax

I would not count on finding a 170 mule deer up there. You will be lucky just to see a mule deer buck. Lots of wt up there. Good luck.

Lots of nice bucks. They are a lot easier to find if there is some snow and cool temps. I didn't go last year but both of my buddies killed nice bucks. One scored 143 and the other 158. I will be going over the weekend before thanksgiving for 5 days. I will let you know how I did. Also my buddies are head over a couple days before me, so I will let you know how they did too. I will shoot the first 130ish buck I see.

thanks for the info, are the deer in the plains? or what should we look for, first time up there dont know what to expect yet. is there alot of land to hunt, or do we need to bring some money to hunt the fields?

>thanks for the info, are the
>deer in the plains?
>or what should we look
>for, first time up there
>dont know what to expect
>yet. is there alot of
>land to hunt, or do
>we need to bring some
>money to hunt the fields?
>

Have you ever google earthed that area? There are no "plains" that you speak of. It is heavy timbered mountains. There are very few "fields" as agriculture is not high on the list. There is a TON of Forest Circus land. You are going to be mainly hunting steep timbered land with scattered clear cuts, brushy hillsides and draws. Do not expect to be able to hike long distances as the heavy underbrush will make this difficult. We have had NO weather up here and are not expecting much in the near future. PRAY for snow. The deer numbers are down due to severe snow year last year. The Mule deer pop. is very small. You will be mainly hunting Whitetails. That does not mean that Mule deer are not there. Obtaining permission on any of the farmed land will be difficult at best. Do not be discouraged though since there is plenty of public land. Good luck!!

well thank you all for leting me no how you fell i will let you no how we do.

I just got back from hunting in unit 1 and 3. It was one of the thoughest hunts I have ever been on. Extremely thick timbered areas. Winter was very bad last year and it really hurt the deer numbers. Saw lots of wolf sign. Our group ended up getting 1 deer for 4 tags after 5 days of hunting. Talked to a lot of local hunters and they all said last year was great but this year has been really tough. If I was you I would shoot the first decent buck I saw. You can walk for days in that country and never even see a deer. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom