Info on units 44 45 or 52 for a youth cow elk hunt

• Thread starter IdahoBigGameHunter
  • Start date
I

IdahoBigGameHunter

Hey guys i drew a youth cow tag for these units and was wondering if anyone one had a place to start looking. Any info would be appricated thanks.

Probably unit 44. The other two are tough hunts to find elk. The regular season will be open for a month before you start, and will stay open untill yours ends. A lot of other guys in there. Ron

do u have any info on where to start looking. places. trail heads, roads, mountain names ,ect

I see how it is people dont even want to help out a youth hunter im not asking for your honey holes just some general areas

I feel ya man! I don't have any honey holes, but get up in 45 and start talking to landowners, I'm sure a landowner would allow a child to hunt, as for 44, get up in the hills around Little Camas Res, and hunt the cliffs looking over S. Fork of the Boise also if you go down passed the HWY to Pine/Featherville 44 is the left hand side of the road, there is lots of good looking country, and some stuff that is access yes land, that looks soooo good you'd pass by at first glance thinking it wasn't open I was all over in there last year and saw lots of variety of game, which is vital on a youth hunt!! Just get on Castle Rock road and branch out from there!!

thanks so much now i have a place to start thanks since noone else is kind enough to help.

Not a problem! I just wish I could remember the name of the road where that access yes was...Its by a little lake so if you find that you should be good, its marked as access yes so you cant miss it if your on the right road!!

IdahoBigGameHunter,

Well that's a bit of an attitude to have because no one would give you an area. I'm sure plenty of people would help a youth, especially an eager, respectful one. Youth or not people don't want to give area info publicly as it often comes hard earned.

I don't know your age or if you have wheels, but I'd get up into that country. Get some herds scouted out for the early part of the season, because as the season wears on and they get some weather those elk will move across the HWY into 45 and onto those ranches. You may find some luck getting onto a ranch but many of those landowners don't care if you are a kid or not. At least learn where the public land is and then scout it some. There are only two main roads that go through 45 I'd get onto the F&G website and play with there maps, you can add a feature that will show you what land is private and public. In 45 I would start near the top of the ridge where there is some timber, but most of this is private so look for those pockets that are still public. You can also use Google earth to do a virtual scouting trip, then double check with the landownership maps. This will help a lot.

There is a crap load of tag holders in those units for the cow hunts so be on them early and have a plan.

You can also call the F&G office and find out who the biologist is and ask them for some help.

All of these things will help you learn how to find where the elk will want to be early season, and then after the rut and after the snow flies. I think if you do some work then some people, myself included, will be more likely to give you even more info.

If you want some assistance figuring out how to use those resources, Idaho Fish and Game Map Center and Google Earth, PM me and I'd be happy to assist you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom