Information on Powder

300wtby

Need some information on Powder, I'm pretty new at this muzzleloader hunting, have shot a few does with a Flintlock in WV. I used my brothers gun and he supplied me with powder, round ball and patches.

We have drawn tags for Co this year and I have purchased a new TC Omega, 50 Cal. My brother says the best powder would be Pyrodex, loose granular not pellets. I was reading on this site and alot of you are using either Black Mag or 777.

My question is this, which powder would be the easiest to purchase in the Glennwood Springs, Aspen area? 777, Black Mag or Pyrodex? We will be arriving by plane and will have to purchase a new supply since back powder is not permitted on the plane.

My other question is regarding the 777, which do you recommend the FFg or the FFFg. I will be shooting the 245 Gr. Powerbelts.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

300 Wtby
Dave

If you are hunting ML in Colorado, you cannot use any form of pellets.

I am also hunting Colo ML this year and started with 777 powder, but have since changed to Black Mag3, as it shoots cleaner and has no crud ring near the breech. Black Mag3 is hard to find in the west, and I had to order it from Cabela's. Based on your travel situation, your best bet is probably 777.

Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed, I'm thinking the availablity of 777 will probably be our best bet also. Not sure which 777 to use FFg or FFFg? Any suggestions?

Take Care.

Dave
300 Wtby

Dave,

I called around and found out that the only place in Glenwood that sells powder is the Rite Aid drug store. They only carry pyrodex rs and pyrodex select.

Where are you flying in to? If it is Grand Junction then you would have lots of choices to find all powders except BM3.

Best of luck,

BeanMan

I have used the FFFg and believe the grains are a little finer than the FFg. You might think about pre-shipping some via UPS, although you'll pay the hazmat fee. If you go that route send yourself the Black Mag3.

Good luck with the hunt!

Ed

What exact airport are you flying in to? If its Aspen then you may be in a bind but if it were Denver or Co Springs you should be able to find more of a selection I would think.

Thanks guys for your replies, I will be flying into Aspen. I didn't realize this was going to be as big a problem as it could be.

BeanMan thanks for calling around. Do you know if there are any sport shops in Aspen? or even Carbondale?

As far as shipping it UPS, wouldn't know who to ship it to. Will the US Post Office allow it to be sent General Delivery and then pick it up at the Post Office when I get there. I have never sent anything General Delivery, but I think that is how long distance trail hikers send their stuff ahead to be picked up when they get there.

Short of that I may have to drive to Grand Junction to get powder.

Thanks, again.

Dave
300Wtby

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-05 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]Dave,

I called the Aspen Chamber of Commerce, the pinko I talked to didn't think it was legal to sell gunpowder. He did give me the name of a sporting goods store, they no longer carry it and suggested Glenwood Springs at the Rite Aid (which only carries pyrodex). I called Carbondale too, no luck there either.

Timberline Sports 970-625-4868 in Rifle, Co carries everything except BM3. Rifle is one hour closer to Aspen than Grand Junction, about 1 hour 15 from Aspen.

Cheers,

BeanMan

BeanMan thanks for calling around, I really appreciate it. Looks like Rifle will be the place to go.

You know I'm sure I'm not the only muzzleloader hunter that flies to his hunting destination. I wonder where Jim Shockey gets his powder in the wilds of Canada?

Thanks again.

300Wtby
Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom