Interesting article from Go Hunt / point creep

How is this useful after the draw. Anyone can give you numbers after the draw and analyze trends. It’s knowing what is going to happen prior to the draw that should be valuable information. All the information used is availability to everyone on the internet.

Rich

Some units jumped , some stayed steady , some took less , my unit was brought up on a popular podcast and it jumped a couple points !!! I got hosed , and I believe that’s all it takes is one comment from a famous hunter and it’s all over , but that’s the world we live in , social media , podcast etc has been the downfall to hunting , but we are all guilty of using it, so much info at your fingertips,like i said , it’s just the world we live in now

The increase in applications is a direct result of a bunch of companies monetizing the hunting application process. The entire income model of companies like Go hunt and Epic is to get more people to apply to more hunts. And that is simply what we are seeing. It's 10 years of guys on YouTube say "it's easy, you should be applying too". Information is getting easier to get. It's not the number of hunter that is increasing. It is the number of hunters applying for multiple opportunities that is exponentially increasing. 20-30 years ago the average guy hunted their own state and maybe went on one deer or elk hunt a year in another state. It took time to research new areas and good information was harder to get. My father and his friends had their one "yearly elk hunt" in the same unit in Colorado for 30 years. Today, my friends and I have built points in literally every state out west worth point building. Information is cheep. For $150 a year, you can have a wealth of hunting knowledge that our fathers couldn't even imagine. Every State application process is explained in depth. And every opportunity is written about as a "your missing out if you are not apply for "x"".

It will be interesting how next years Colorado draws go. Will people base their 22' application strategy on historic point trends or just off of last years? If they just looks at the 2021 point statistics the Point creep will be the a new baseline for a lot of units.

The increase in applications is a direct result of a bunch of companies monetizing the hunting application process. The entire income model of companies like Go hunt and Epic is to get more people to apply to more hunts. And that is simply what we are seeing. It's 10 years of guys on YouTube say "it's easy, you should be applying too". Information is getting easier to get. It's not the number of hunter that is increasing. It is the number of hunters applying for multiple opportunities that is exponentially increasing. 20-30 years ago the average guy hunted their own state and maybe went on one deer or elk hunt a year in another state. It took time to research new areas and good information was harder to get. My father and his friends had their one "yearly elk hunt" in the same unit in Colorado for 30 years. Today, my friends and I have built points in literally every state out west worth point building. Information is cheep. For $150 a year, you can have a wealth of hunting knowledge that our fathers couldn't even imagine. Every State application process is explained in depth. And every opportunity is written about as a "your missing out if you are not apply for "x"".

It will be interesting how next years Colorado draws go. Will people base their 22' application strategy on historic point trends or just off of last years? If they just looks at the 2021 point statistics the Point creep will be the a new baseline for a lot of units.
You make some valid points, but "a bunch of companies monetizing the hunting application process" cannot account for a 1/3 increase in applications in only one year (talking about NM here).

In a nut shell, 2nd and 3rd seasons had the largest jumps, 4th season not so much. One 4th season hunt dropped from 17 points down to 11. Point jumps from 3-6 points were not unusual.

If you look at the history of the 5 year season structure you will see the trend. Every time there are late dates during the 5 year structure, the applications explode, then the season starting date walks a day back in the the next few years and applications are higher than normal, and gradually decrease. This is the 3rd time I can remember in the 5 year structure where there has been late “premium” dates. Each of those “premium” dates has followed the same pattern.

Rich

You make some valid points, but "a bunch of companies monetizing the hunting application process" cannot account for a 1/3 increase in applications in only one year (talking about NM here).
I personally jumped into NM for the 1st time this year for the simple fact they don't have a point system, so no point creep. I also applied in Colorado and Utah. Really feel like I'm wasting my time in Utah, have 15 elk points and can't draw anything. Did draw a Colorado deer which required a ridiculous number of points (23). I listen to several different hunting podcasts, and the general theme is you will never draw the most wanted tags in states that use preference points if you're not close to max points already.

The fact no one has offered up screenshots, screams at the embarrassment of those that have paid for this service and are just now realizing their pants are down and their pockets are empty. Next spring send me your thoughts,I won't charge you a dime!

You boys could pay me 150 a year and I will tell you what tags you are going to draw. Won’t be as glamorous as the magazines and subscriptions make it out to be, but you will have tags in your pockets.

Rich

And we'll be far more honest!

And don’t forget it costs about nothing to apply. An application fee that costs what a beer does, and in a couple of places a license fee. For my states, I already bough the license anyway.

Back in the good old days, you had to do some paperwork and mail it in. Or like we did in AZ and drive it to greenway road, where the driveway was manned with staff until 7 pm and cars went clear around the building. It’s too easy now.

And don’t forget it costs about nothing to apply. An application fee that costs what a beer does, and in a couple of places a license fee. For my states, I already bough the license anyway.

Back in the good old days, you had to do some paperwork and mail it in. Or like we did in AZ and drive it to greenway road, where the driveway was manned with staff until 7 pm and cars went clear around the building. It’s too easy now.

Hell gettin old Blue! "Get off my lawn!"

The fact no one has offered up screenshots, screams at the embarrassment of those that have paid for this service and are just now realizing their pants are down and their pockets are empty. Next spring send me your thoughts,I won't charge you a dime!

Really, not a dime!

Hell gettin old Blue! "Get off my lawn!"
The kids don’t know how easy they have it these days. There are people out there that pay someone to bring their toilet paper.

I’m honestly thinking I didn’t even know a “guide” back in the 70’s and early 80’s. This crap all went to hell in my short time here on Earf. Yes, I’m old. But by God I at least know what the good old day’s were. :cool:

The kids don’t know how easy they have it these days. There are people out there that pay someone to bring their toilet paper.

I’m honestly thinking I didn’t even know a “guide” back in the 70’s and early 80’s. This crap all went to hell in my short time here on Earf. Yes, I’m old. But by God I at least know what the good old day’s were. :cool:

Be 54 in a few days, don't feel old, take joy in workin youngsters in the ground. Yet here I am, thinkin the world has passed me by. Not that it upsets me, just makes me look around and wonder who ordered all these p#$$@&!?

The hope is that everyone cashing in their points will eventually lower the point creep in a couple of years. But newbies will have just started collecting points. We burned our elk points last year so were in the building mode. Agree 100% with MNbear. Though I have to say I am putting into less states than I did 20 years ago.

Some are so NR unfriendly, it doesn't make sense for an old guy like me to try build points in those states.

Personally I think it's a lot of old guys that are retiring and just cashing in on there points like me. I have been grabbing points in three states for many years. Now at 68 I am burning them up. Once I draw I am out of the game for that species for that State.

I personally jumped into NM for the 1st time this year for the simple fact they don't have a point system, so no point creep. I also applied in Colorado and Utah. Really feel like I'm wasting my time in Utah, have 15 elk points and can't draw anything. Did draw a Colorado deer which required a ridiculous number of points (23). I listen to several different hunting podcasts, and the general theme is you will never draw the most wanted tags in states that use preference points if you're not close to max points already.
Same here in Utah so I’m letting them have my points, they say there is always a chance but same is true about getting struck by lighting or hitting the lotto.

It’s getting to the point where your better off buying a quality hunt every so often instead of giving these states all your money, odds are shi*t any more for a half ass quality hunt for NR , everyone is cutting NR allocation which I can’t blame them for the zoo it’s turning into , it sucks but we all know that all the info available at your fingertips anymore has cause this, it use to be boots on the ground but now it’s E-scouting and scrounging around these forums for someone else’s hard work , which god bless anyone willing to help but it’s just enabling people from earning it , but this is the world we live in now , just have to weigh your options and try to make the best at what opportunities present themselves I guess , I think I’m just on a rant because I didn’t draw squat This year , creep got me in three different states, good luck out there everyone

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom