Interesting Dilemma

missalot

This is from a conversation that I was having with a friend.... Let's say you were hunting in a unit that offered OTC tags and during your scouting you found an out of the way place not too far from where the main core of hunters go, that held some animals that would score close to the top of the record book. Upon hunting the unit, you are fortunate to kill one of these animals. Now, do you enter the animal, knowing that because of its size and even with minimal info on where it was taken,there is a good chance that it increases the hunter numbers in this area or do you keep it to yourself and enjoy your success quietly, thus having a better chance that no one discovers this area?

Keep it to yourself! unless you want the world to know? and you know how that will turn out! If you find a great little honey hole, hunt it, then if you feel the need to enter your animal a few years down the road, do it.

When reporting the "Area taken", you need to be creative enough that nobody will find it, but no one can say you lied.

From time to time, I've sent nosy hunters on wild goose chases by telling the truth.

That being said, I would probably keep it to myself, at least for a few seasons.

i agree....no reason to put down the exact place you killed it. People do study the books to put patterns together as to where most book animals are killed. Just write down Antler Ridge.

>No brainer for me. I
>don't have any interest in
>entering any animal into the
>book.

I'm sure not in your case......but I've seen that attitude change the minute a record book animal is actually killed...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Ide keep it to myself. If i really wanted to enter it then ide wait till the little area wasnt so secret no more.

This is pretty much the same way we were thinking, especially since there really is no benefit (except ego) to entering an animal anyway. I've always thought that even putting up a picture such as the buck in Utah Co. can lead to a loss of a good area if any info is posted with the picture because the second you get other hunters looking for the spot, odds are good that someone will stumble upon it.

Must not be in TARDville?

There are NO SECRET spots!

Kurt Darner didn't keep his stuff a Secret!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

In this day and age, odds are good that someone, probably "someones" already know about this "secret" spot. Once in a while you get lucky in a general hunt, to find a spot that no one else is bothering. You better enjoy it, because it won't last.

I'd write up a hunt report, just like i always do, complete with the unit i took him in and pic's, and put it right here in these pages. If he were a Book animal, dam straight i'd put him in the Book and not think twice about it but you guys would see and read about it here first.

As far as exactly where in the unit i took the animal, that may get kept under wraps.

Joey

Keep it to yourself.They'll find out soon enough anyway.You can always enter your animal in the books later on if it means that much to you.

Okay, time to crucify me again! I really wish there was no such thing as "the BOOK(s)"!!! IMHO they are one of the worst things that ever happened to the sport of hunting!!!

+1 100% I'm old enough to remember before the books got so popular that land owners would beg you to hunt to get the numbers down now they want outrageous prices for their valuable deer.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-11 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]I would be keeping it to myself at least until the spot was found by someone else or the hunting changed for the worse in that secret spot. More than likely wouldn't even have it scored unless it was a top 5 "all time' or something like that...

B&C now want's the exact location where the animal was taken.I think they have gone to far for info. 264 mag

>Okay, time to crucify me again!
> I really wish there
>was no such thing as
>"the BOOK(s)"!!! IMHO they
>are one of the worst
>things that ever happened to
>the sport of hunting!!!

I agree. Your not alone.

The other problem with the "book" is that it involves the "tape".

This damn "tape" has been the "pizz-on-the-fire" of many successful and enjoyable hunts.

"A 351" bull is fine but a 348" is a dink!"...... see what I mean?

I love to hear the scores of animals but the score should NEVER detract from the experience.

BTW: Oh, Hell no don't do the "book"...... yet.

Zeke

Record books are for posers,keep the info to yourself and keep the area free of scabs.

> B&C now want's the
>exact location where the animal
>was taken.I think they have
>gone to far for info.
>264 mag

where did you hear that?.....no they don't. County is plenty info.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'm not trying to change the direction of this discussion, but, here is a similar question with a little lead in.
I killed a mountain caribou one year ago this week, that "would" go top 20 B&C, but I would have to strip the velvet from his incredible rack. (I know specifically because I had my neighbor, who is an official B&C scorer put his tape to it with the velvet on)
Question: Should I strip the velvet to get my name in a book?
My ultimate decision has been to keep my bull just the way he was when I killed him and not worry about my name in small print on a seldom seen list. (Don't think I am saying I am all high and mighty...I would love have my name is in the book!)
Sometimes there is a price to pay for fame and glory. The question is ultimately how much is it worth to you?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-11 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]I doubt any area can truly remain secret for long after a trophy animal is taken. The hunting community today is so sophisticated and transfixed on finding out when, how, and more importantly, where any trophy animal is taken that given enough time and resources, that a close enough approximation to that secret spot will in most instances be deduced.
Be grateful for that trophy animal and hopeful that your secret spot remains a secret for another hunting season.

Eldorado

If he just wants some recognition he could put some pics of it on here. He would get plenty of praise. They could even do a magazine article, obviously omitting some details.

Did you read what D13er said? Post#21

The only time B&C asks for a specific location is if an animal is close to a species boundary, such as blacktails. Then they want to make sure it falls within their specific defined area.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom