Internal or external pack

opbuckslayer

Looking at packs for a backcountry mule deer hunt. I prefer internal frame for hiking but what is your opinions for all around versatility for spike camps on your back and packing out a deer on it?

Also what do you guys think as far as a lite tent,fly cover or bivy for a september hi-country hunt? always used a tent but it takes up space and is an extra 4 lbs.

You should take a look at hornhunters full curl pack system comes with the hybrid curl frame a bag and a little daypack and they all conect to the frame get to spike camp drop the bag and then hunt with the frame and daypack or just the frame sweet setup.

Looks pretty sweet. Have you used this pack at all? Just wondering if its worth the $350 price tag as far as comfort and durability? I have a nice internal pack already its just not set up for hunting purposes. Do you have any experience with the Cabelas packs at all?

Look at the badlands 4500 or even the OX. I currently am using the 4500. It gets the job done and I like the way it feels on my back. I have yet to have a problem with this pack. I know that people have had problems with some of the buckles but I think that issue has been resolved. I have talked with Isaac at badlands about this before and was told that it was a bad batch of plastic used for the buckles and that they are no longer using that manufacture, if i remember correct.

YOUR FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

You need to look at the Eberlestock J34, makes a great pack for hauling and then for a day pack once you get camp set up.

Internal frame expands to over 7000 cu in and will carry more than you can carry.

Good luck, Eric

Premium Hunting Gear at great prices and Free Shipping. www.SantanaOutdoors.com

Mystery Ranch hands down make the best packs for hauling heavy loads. They also carry a heavy price tag, but to me it is worth it.

CABugle

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have the original Badlands superday. It has been bullet proof for years so i am considering the 4500 and I have a buddy that has the Eberlestock. Mystery Ranch look great but are way over what I want to spend. Anybody got any opinions on tents vs a bivy sack or fly?

bivys are nice for cuting waight. But take it from somone that uses one. Theres not a trip that I don't think of how nice a one man tent would be!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

My preference is internal framers for hauling heavy loads. Many of the external frames the load is situated several inches from your back and heavy loads tend to shift and torque your back...especially in steep terrain, sidehills, crossing deadfalls, boulder fields, etc.

You may want to take a look at overall weight of the pack. Badlands 4500 is a super heavy pack for it's size. Obviously the more pockets the heavier the pack (more zippers, material, etc). A heavy pack like the 4500 may weigh a couple pounds more than other packs that can actually haul larger, bulkier loads.

Kifaru just came out with a pack system that weighs less than 3 lbs. It may be worth a look? It appears to have a nice harness system but I'm a little leery about the outside material holding up to punctures and sagging? It also starts at around $550 without any additional pockets.

I currently have an Arcteryx Bora 95. It is a humungous pack and has a similar harness to the Kifaru mentioned above (it almost looks like Kifaru copied them?). Arcteryx is a fraction of the price of a Kifaru. I've had mine for over 15 years and never had any seams or material go bad. Mine is a bloody mess from all the elk, moose, mtn goat, sheep, deer and other critters I've hauled out with it. Mine weighs around 6 lbs but is super durable and dependable. Mine isn't camo or quiet cloth but I almost exclusively use it to pack camp and meat.

If you are pinched for cash you can usually get killer deals on new or nearly new packs on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Also, mountaineering shop websites often have 20 to 30%+ off coupon codes.

I noticed you also inquired about flies, bivy, tents. My preference is a 4 season tent. I can use the tent, fly, and foot print when the weather is horrible and use the fly alone when the weather is super nice and I want to pack super light. My 4 season fly used alone is better than most 2 or 3 season tents and is huge. My tent weighs around 5 lbs and fly used alone is around 1 1/2 lbs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom