Is 50 gr. of 777 loose the same as a 50 gr. 777 pellet?

WFGinNM

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]I've been searching the threads about loads for elk, and was wondering if there is any difference between the power of loose 777 vs. pellets of 777? or pyrodex?

Thanks,
--Bill

Nope. The pellets are less than 50 gr. You can safely shoot 3 of hte T7 pellets in most modern muzzleloaders, but 150 grains of loose T7 is a very hot load. IF you want speed, get the BH209.

Thanks for the reply. I've been shooting 1 1/2 inch groups (3 shots)at 100 yards using .348 AT Powerbelts and 2 pellets of 50 gr. Pyrodex. From what I've been reading I'm concerned that I might be using too hot of a load, and don't want to risk getting poor penetration on elk. I was thinking of trying 3 pellets of .30 gr. Pyrodex to see the difference, before I go and get some 777.

Thanks,
--Bill

I think you should be fine with 100 grains of pyrodex, but you might consider the 338 grain platinums. Either will probably do ok, although I use the 405 grain aerotip.

that said, 90 grains would be plenty also if they group well.

And you may want to try the new Hornady 350 gr FPB bullet. Did well on an elk for me. I think they will hold together better than powerbelts. JMO.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I will pick up some of the bullets you mentioned, have to make a trip to Santa Fe this week. Thanks for your help.

--Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom