Is a shotgun scope ok for Muzzle loader?

JohnSWA

Hi guys,

I just got back from the Sportsmans Warehouse and almost bought a Nikon 2x7 shotgun scope. It seemed like a pretty good price at $139 and I was going to pick it up, but they didn't have the 418M base for mounting it.

Do you think a SG scope is ok for ML? I'm new to this so please forgive my ignorance.

shotgun scopes themselves are ok. the 2x7 wouldnt be legal here in utah due to restrictions. It has to be non-magnifying.

You didnt state where you wanted to hunt and therefore should look up whatever state's regs you do and check for restrictions.

-DallanC

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-04 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]There shouldn't be any problem putting a shotgun scope on your muzzleloader. Where are you going to hunt at? Here in Utah you are only allowed to use a 1x scope. I just bought the Nikon 1x20 buckmaster blackpowder scope for mine. I haven't had a chance to dial it in so I'll probable have to leave it off for the deer hunt but I use it on the muzz elk hunt in Nov. You can pick up rings and bases just about anywhere, so you should be able to find them. Cabela's has a nice Simmons 0x shotgun scope for $65-$70. But like I said, it depends on where you hunt.

Dallan, you got in there just as I was typing. Same info but mine is a little more long winded.

Thanks guys! I checked the regs and even called the AZGF and there are no restrictions on Muzz! I was pleasantly surprized! I love this site! The advice here is priceless!

Bought the Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32 Shotgun scope and love it. It is mounted on a slug gun but I see no reason why the scope won't work on a ML. Bought on-line from a vendor on Gunbroker.com. Price with shipping was $118!

If you are in Arizona; there is no regulation against scopes. I hunt here and I have a Simons shotgun scope on my Omega and I am really pleased with it. It has the diamond in the center of the crosshairs. The only restriction here is that you cannot use smokeless so a Savage is not any advantage. Other than that there is no restriction on bullets or synthetic powder. Cannot use a double barrel either. Shotgun scopes are usually set for Paralax correction at about 75 to 80 yards which is almost perfect for the area where I hunt. So far I have shot one Elk with a muzzleloader and one with a centerfire rifle. Both fell within 30 yards of the hit.

The Nikon Prostaff is fine for light-magnum powder/bullet combos. I wouldn't exceed 300 gr. bullets with more than 120 gr. Pyrodex or 105 777 with it though. After-all, it is an entry-level scope.
............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY".............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom