Is helping, hurting?

L

legendsguide

hey guys,
I would like to ask a question and see what you guys think. I am an Outfitter operating primarily in unit 2. I dont voice too many thoughts on here but occaisionally I put in an idea. I try to help people with their hunts if I can regardless if they use my services or not. Now Ive been catching some grief from other outfitters about helping people on the internet. so is this a professional taboo or do the majority think that the help is appreciated?
Rory

In my humble opinion- I would rather people have a clue where to start instead of stumbling into everyone. You know as well as I do there is more to hunting than just "spots". I can take hunters every year to the same spot and kill-they could go back by themselves and who knows the outcome. Taking a paying hunter, in person, is opening up more to them than just giving advise.
Travis

I never ever heard of outfitters being tight lipped or never wanting to help out someone! Most tag holders in a new area or outta state are starving for info and have to make the call to do it alone or improve their chances of a quality buck by outfitter!
the early days after a drew must be over whelming for all guides.
Most of all you are doing the right thing and us who inqure are very greatful.. Still you have your spots and work very hard and deserve every dollar and then some!
An outfitter whose not willing to talk and show a photo or two can only count on repeat customers and may only want it that way!!
jack

Pointing someone in the right direction isn't gonna hurt. I'll help someone out. If I'm hunting a particular area I'll even help em out there.I know most guys get tight lipped in their areas of hunt choice and seems like everybody on the hunt always stops and asks what I'm seeing and they NEVER see any animal.

Now since you make your living and your family is relying on you to be successful for your clients. Well I would help with general info but I have to say I don't think I'd put them on any leads to bucks I'd been paterning/seeing that you may be able to put your paying clients on. Unit 2B has two angles of the hunt. Road hunters are always going to get some bucks , big ones too, but I think theres so many areas that people just drive by and push deer into , so sometimes hunters help move the deer. The other angle is , again many and most guys don't want to venture very far from their trucks , so getting into some of the canyons a ways back away from any pressure allows you to scout bucks as they start to mark their areas and court the doe. No worries of JOE BLOW 4X4 HUNTER driving up and getting lucky and dropping the hammer , only to go home and pound his chest about how he knows all to mammoth mule deer.

I say if you feel the guy is just looking for some helpful info , then lend a hand, but if a guy wants exact areas, roads , "where do i park " kind of info , then you may want to limit what you send his way.

I guess im just belly aching. I dont go as far as to hold someone hand and lead them in but I enjoy being able to offer a little help. I was scolded by a fellow outfitter for too much advertising of a particular unit. I think he is scared!
sorry for griping out loud

Don't worry about the other guy, The people whom you help really appericate your comments or suggestions, Life is too short to be a whinner. Do your best to help someone and the favor will be returned someday. God Bless you. Bill

Alot depends on who is asking for help. I get asked alot of times also. Some people I will help and some people I won't. If I get a sense that the person is geniune about it and won't take advantage of the information you provide then I'll help out. On the other hand, I had one friend tell me that he wanted to help his elderly dad get a bull only to find out later he took a whole bunch of his friends (others I didn't know) instead of his dad. This happened about 4 years ago and now that group of guys has grown every year. The bad part is that they are not a responsible group and have wounded animals and stuff like that. That is one that I regret helping out. My preference is helping out someone who is somewhat of a newcomer to hunting and/or is a responsible ethical hunter.
-Raptor

Rory, the help is greatly appreciated. A lot of people like myself are NR, and not all can afford a fully guided hunt, but can afford a semi, or scouting services, etc. The one thing is that if someone has help me out in the past, you can believe when I can afford a guided hunt, or if someone would ask me for a guide/ outfitter for a hunt, etc, they will be the first person I would reccomend and call for my hunts etc. Always remember, What goes around Comes around, good and bad.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerly,

Joe

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom