Is this a decent gun for yotes

Mallards_Only

Not knowing much about predator/varmint calibers/rifles, I went down today and got talked into a 204 Savage. Now, I'm not sure I made the right call. Primary use will be shooting coyotes around the ranch that I see while driving around. I might go out a few times and try calling some in but most shots will be from the truck. Most shots will be under 300 yds. Salesman said the 204 is a very flat shooter and a lot of coyote hunters are switching over to it. Did I just fall for a sales pitch on an inferior gun for my needs or is this a decent gun?

I have a Remington 700 in .204 and I love it! Tack driver. It's enough gun, especially if you're shooting at 300 or less. Everyone has they're preferences. I shoot the.204 and also a.223...just my 2 cents...

.204 at 206 yards...

2347dog_1.jpg

My buddy shoots the .204 in the AR15 and he says it is the best. Even in the AR15 format he can see every impact because there is hardly any recoil. He does say that wind is a big issue, esp. out past 200 yards or so. I shoot the .22-250 and am sticking with it because I don't care about the pelts getting all messed up.......but it would be nice to not have as much recoil as I do. I say any new gun is a great gun!!!!!

I've heard good and bad about the .204. The bad was mostly because of the bullet selection that was out a few years ago was pretty minimal and non were really good for coyote hunting. Not sure if there are better bullets now but just make sure to chose a good bullet that will hold together and not the light explosive bullets and I think you'll be happy with it.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

It is a great gun for your application. In predator hunts where getting them on the ground means making the money or not I would use a 243,22-250,220 swift. But for what you want to do it was a good choice. They are shooters for sure, just not enough lead for me. Have fun!

243 I think would be a better choice, ammo is easier to find, bucks the wind good,has a farther out punch if needed. It just a good coyote killing gun.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

One hell of a great round I bought one had my doubts at first because of the .20 cal. Looking at the Ballsistics though on the .204 it is faster and hits hardeer than the .223. I have yet to not watch a dog or cat drop in the scope. Also a great hide saver minimal damage to the pelt.

I have had a Remington 204 for about two years now and I love it. I have found that bullet selection is an important part of whether you will like or dislike the 204. I started using Hornady Vmax bullets and noticed that on coyotes you would occasionally get splashes. I then went to the Berger bullets and reload my own and it puts them down hard and fast. It is a sweet shooter also. There is a good website called www.204ruger.com with lots of information and reloading tips on the 204. Good luck and have fun.

Jsc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom