Is this really a Swarovski Spotting scope?

quickdrawkinker

I found this on www.hotbuyselectronics.com and I've never seen a Swarovski that looks like this. This spotter is being offered for around $1,000 and it's a 20-60X80mm, almost half of what the ats and the sts go for. Does anyone know anything about this scope?
425d9c945c2bd0d5.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-05 AT 07:21PM (MST)[p]They are very good but big and long. Not rubberized either. Well worth the grand though. I don't think you could tell the difference optically from the ats/sts but not as durable and bigger. I really think the rubber coating of the later models is an advantage.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

I used one of these for three years and loved it. I have since went to the STS 80 Swarovski. No difference in the two. The STS/ATS just looks a little better. For backpacking it was quite heavy but well worth the effort. You should be able to find one of these on ebay for less. The angled optics I liked the best. I wish I would of gotten the ATS65 instead because of weight and size. Best of luck.

Yes it's a Swarovski. Habicht I think they call it. BUT! (There's always a but) Have you called the guys at Hotbuys? Maybe you have dealt with them before but beware. They will try to jerk you around.

I ordered a Leica spotting scope last fall from them despite all the warnings I had received. I knew what they were going to pull so I was prepared. They had a Leica Televid 62 non-APO scope listed for $549. Still do actually. Eyepiece was something like $299 or $329. So I call and ordered it. The guy I talked to said "Now do you want the one for $549 from Canada or the one from Germany for $150 more?" I knew it was a scam and that all Leica's glass is made in Germany so I said the Canadian one would be fine. He, in his best Hindu accent said that would be fine and they would get it out right away. So I watched my credit card for a hit but it never came. Now I wanted this scope for a sheep hunt I was going on and time was getting close. So I called them back. Got a different guy. He said "Oh I don't know why it wasn't shipped. Now did you want the scope from Portugal or the better one from Germany? The one from Germany is in stock but would cost $120 more". I said if it will be here by a certain date I still wanted the "non-German" scope. He said "no problem" and said he would order it and it should be here in plenty of time. More days went by and still no hit on the credit card. My drop-dead-date was getting closer so I called again. Got the same story about the German scope vs the Portugal scope so, since time was waning and I really wanted it, I bit on the $120 difference for the "in stock" item. It was still a good price. So I figured I better stay in his ear this time and I called back in another day or two to ask the progress of my shipment. He said "Oh didn't you get my email? When we took the scope out of the box to inspect it (WHAT?) it has a scratch on the lense so we will have to order another one." That's when I hit my limit and could see even if it ever came I wouldn't need it for another year if it wasn't here in a day or two. So I told him to cancel my order. He said no problem and did so graciously.

Maybe they are legit but I wonder if they'd really have that scope for that price if you call.

Interesting story........I have never dealt with this company before and know nothing about them--don't care to find out more about them after hearing this. Thanks for the heads up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom