Is this true????

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I read this article in Outdoor Life magazine yesterday. Has anybody else heard of this?

Too Many Deer in Big Horns?

Claim is made that the Big Horn National Forest in Wyoming is heavly overstocked with deer and elk. It has been estimated that the deer population of the Big Horn Mountains is increasing at the rate of more than 5,000 a year, and that in a recent winter 1,200 deer died from starvation in Shell Creek Canyon.
Recommendation has been made to the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission that a survey be made, as quickly as possible, of the wildlife in the forest; that the entire forest be opened to hunting from Oct.17 to Dec.31., with both bucks and does legal; and that, with the exception of a specified area, the entire forest be opened to elk hunting for both bulls and cows from Oct.17 to Dec.1

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really familiar with the area. Is this a general area or is it a limited area? Also I searched for a link on their website but couldn't find it.

Eel

eel, I live right next to the big horns thats where i do most my hunting. I dont think there are to many deer or elk. Maybe south of Shell canyon but north of there is really not over populated. I beleive most of it is general area. The Sheridan and Buffalo side of the Big Horns might be over populated but the west side sure the hell is not over populated with either elk or deer.
-T

Holy sh!t....can you imagine how many hunters would be out there trying to shoot their piece of the pie? Free meat? Free antlers? Oh my God....I'd stay clear if they decide to do that!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-11 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]I don't know anything about the area, but a season like that seems like OVERKILL! Literally. We have a too many deer, so lets kill them all? Sounds like they're getting ideas from their southern neighbors in CO . . . 1200 deer in one canyon? That's just plain hard to believe!

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Forbes Ranch outside of Sheridan. The further back in we got the more deer we seen and seen the deer by the hundreds. Now I just presumed it was due to being on the pvt ranch. Later we took a drive a bit south and west toward the base of the big horns and the area was loaded with deer almost to the point of nuisance porportions but they were all on pvt lands. So I can't confirm the public since I didn't get to see much of it. The locals I talked to had no complaints about the hunting in their area.

I think me and my group will put in for one of those units this year. Can't hurt and we'll do our best to get the herd numbers in check! :)

Joey

I've hunted the west side of the Bighorn range the last two years and I sure didn't see that many deer. maybe quite a few compared to here in Oregon but they're on the ESA here.

Hey guys!

"I read this article in Outdoor Life magazine yesterday." That part is absolutely true!

The little part I forgot to mention is it was the November 1942 issue.

Sorry about that. I couldn't help myself.:)

I picked up some old Outdoor Life magazines at a garage sale recently (a buck apiece) and they are pretty interesting. All the ones I got are during WWII. Lots of war related stuff. Some of the ads are pretty cool too. Hand made duck calls for $1.25. There is an ad for a $1700 life insurance policy for $2.00 a month.

If I run across any other "hot information" I'll be sure and post it right away:)

Eel

I figured something was amiss when I read your post, but there are definitely a lot more animals on the east side lower elevations from Buffalo on north on that side of the mountains compared to the Basin side. I don't believe they get anywhere near the weather that the west side gets.

eel- 1942 Outdoor Life? Thats a pretty cool find. $1,700 life insurance policy? That won't even buy you a cheap-ass guided mule deer hunt. How times have changed....

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Very funny, Eel--
However, there are an awful lot of Whitetail between I-90 and the plateau these days.
There are an awful lot of strange folk residing in those parts any more, too.

Rump

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom