It's all over

B

Blacktail_boy

Well fella's it's all over for me this year. And yes once again my tag is unfilled. I was hunting with a muzzle loader this year and was having great expectations for conecting with a good buck, I saw him once during the season but never conected. The last day of the season I snuck up on a decent 2 point but could not bring myself to pull the trigger on him, so I left him be and snuck off. The dream of a BIG blacktail tends to leave my tag unfilled, for the last two years anyhow. Well I guess I am just complaining......It's going to be a long wait till I get back out in the woods....Guess I'll go back to dreaming. B_B

The beauty of it all is, "There's always next year!!!!!!!!!" That's what keeps us coming back.
Christian..........

hey B_b' are you up in washington..?..I got family up there, if you guy's have a late muzz for blackies i'd like to take a wack at it next year, is it a draw tag and if so is there great demand for the tag...maybe we can do so exchage of info....thanks Manny'

Manny, what area would you be interested in hunting? There are several units open for the late muzzleloader season, and tags are over-the-counter. I would really recommend if you want to try hunting in Washington that you hunt the late rifle season in late November, unless you really have your mind set on using your muzzleloader. Rifle tags are over-the-counter also, and you can hunt anywhere. The late season is only 4 days, but I think that's your best chance of seeing a good buck.

Hey Bob' the area's I'm used to huntin here in N, Ca. is rolling oak covered hills, I don't remember seeing many oak trees up near my sis's place in vancuver WA.

what would you sugest, I've taken some big blackies before but they were never close enough to the boundery line for B.C's idea of a true Blacky....Manny'

Manny,
I am farther up the coast towards Olympia. You won't find many oaks here, just lots of rain, old growth timber and salal. The late muzzle loading season this year was from nov. 25-Dec15th. The first season is only about 5 days long and usually becuase of the weather is no good. I'll find out some more info for you ASAP..B_B

If you go east of Vancouver into Klickitat County you will find oak trees and blacktails. But I believe these aren't considered pure blacktails by Boone and Crocket either. Are you wanting to get a blacktail for the book? If so, I'm not sure I'd recommend Washington. The tag will be expensive also, right around $400 for a non-resident. There are plenty of blacktails in southwest Washington if you just want to get a decent buck. If you decide to give it a try I can let you know what some of units are with the higher success rates.

there's gotta be a booner in Washington Boss, I haven't done any research yet but I'm gonna..and beside's I'm mostly lookin to exstend my huntin season, our season close's here by 21st of Oct...talk to ya after I do some research with B.C listing. thanks Manny'

Manny..
The most B.C bucks are taken in Lewis County. It is right above vancouver/castle rock area. I think there has been 11 'book' bucks taken there. Sometimes there are some biggins taken up here on towards Olympia national forest, few and far between but definently all around bigger deer. Well hope this helps.
You might also want to look in to some high alpine units like packwood washington, up by the goat rocks..there have been some decent bucks taken up that way the last couple of year. B_B

Back when I lived in Everett, WA, I hunted back up the Skagit drainage. Higgins Mt and such and I have seen some really awsome racks back in there. You have to pack in a ways from the roads but they are in there. Also found huge deer in the wilderness area south and east of Mayfield Lake. Stop in or call Clancy Holt in Chahalis (Clancy's Guide Service). He knows just about every square foot of B/T turf on the west coast.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom