Jack Russel or Rat Terriers ??

D

D13er

My son needs a pup. I would like to get him a medium sized terrier. About a 20 pounder. Anybody have any ? crosses are OK

JB

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-07 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]D13'r,

I don't know anyting about a Rat terrier. I've got a JRT that is my shadow. He is a bit big for a Jack at 18 pounds and 15" at the shoulders. If you get one your son will have to be dedicated to giving the dog lot's of attention and exercise which they thrive on. If they become bored they can be a real problem. Gettig through the first 1.5 years can be a trial but if you get a good one and raise it right it will be a great companion with amazing stamina.

Sparkey
KariAbriweekendNov7-9-03064.jpg
i

I forgot to add that they are true killers of anything that is small and furry, from Mice to Marmots.

BeanMan

This is my first time trying to post a pic on MM I hope it works. I gotta tell you, Jacks like to run and play. They chase anythin hairy or with feathers. This dog has been of great assistance with many coyote hunts of mine. He is a rather large Jack at 15" and very wirey haired. His name is Cache.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-07 AT 10:26PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/45fb6dcf40557c94.jpg

JRT's are neat dogs but they have an oh my got amount of energy. I thought my German Shorthair's were a hand full until I spent some time around a JRT.

When you are copying it you aren't scrolling the page far enough to get the entire link.

JB

45fb6f8a483a261e.jpg

Thanks for helping me out. Here is a closer look at my dawg. He is a bundle of joy for the family. Smart and obedient if raised right.

Jack Russels are good, alot of times they can be tough around strangers and other dogs. I had a male that was a great family dog but he thought he was 10 feet tall and was not afraid of anything. He would almost chock himself, while on a leash, pulling to try to get at a dog two blocks away. Very protective/agressive.
Take a look at Jagd Terriers. The one I have I got out of New Mexico from a guy that has them as family dogs and uses them for bears and lions (check out gilaoutfitters.com for a couple of great pics of his Jagds in action. The opening page has a good pic then click on Hunts then click on bears and lions for the other.) Great noses and drive and the ones I've been around aren't as high strung as the Jacks I am familar with.
Jagds are rare but there are a few good breeders around. You want to make sure you get a pup from a good litter.
I know both Jacks and Jagds need to be disciplined so they don't develope bad habits. I've really enjoyed this Jagd.
-Bob

heres mine she's full Jack, the last one we had was cross with a Rat much more calmer..

45fc154d4271ac21.jpg

Well, I think I found one. I called a friend that has a couple rat terriers and he told me who was raising them and he turned out to be a friend also. They'll be born about the 20th of April and ready to go the 10th or so of june. Perfect timing for getting him one when school is out. He's going to call so we can get the pick of the litter.

Are you guys telling me that rats are a little calmer ?

JB

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-07 AT 00:11AM (MST)[p]Alot...this pure jack we got now is a hurricane

I know that some of you guy consdier yourselves real mens men, so I thought I'd warn you about the reputation of jack owners. When I moved to DC (1999-2001) I had to drop the wranglers and boot that I grew up wearing for dockers and borne shoes or risk being hit on everyday by gay men - and a coyboy hat, forget it outside capital hill! In any event, there was one dog of choice for the metro and homo sexual men in DC, and NYC, and it was the jack. So, jack's are known to be the property of gay men.

I'm not saying it's always like that or that owning a jack means youre gay, but there will many, many other's that will wonder . . .

Just thought I'd point it out. I never knew such things existed. The other dog of choice was the great dane, not sure why, it would seem to be real hard to have a great dane in the city, especially because dog owners in the city, by law, have to pick up the poop (that's another thing I learned living in the city - sick, sick, sick!) and them danes leave huge piles!

Tfinal,

No worries, if anyone tries hitting on me because I have a Jack I'll have sparkey bite them in the balls.

BeanMan

TFinal, I know you were making a serious comment, and I'm sure it's true, but it cracked me up! LMAO!

One can't be too careful these days!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-07 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]
I was serious, and it still cracks me up too. It really is true, most cowboys - and I'm in that category, but I'm not rodeoing any more, still got one mare - in dc, are gays. I had to change my looks because I kept getting picked up on; at that time the gay community was into the western look, complete with boots, wranglers and shirts. Very strange. I wondered why when I went for a walk I used to get strange looks. Then one day I was sitting outside a coffee shop, drinking a hot cup of jo, and having a chew, just to pass the time, and some guy in "western" wear came over and sat down next to me, complete with his jack terrier's (he had three of them) running all over the place. I welcomed him to sit down and that's when I figured it all out. I was polite to the guy, i asked him to leave me alone, but from then on the wranglers, boots and shirts went in storage and I always made a point of steering clear of the guys walking their jacks (and that's what they called them if not by name) around. . . I never had another encounter after that. . .

It's kind of like the rainbow, it been stolen by all kinds of people. . .

TF,

What did you expect,hanging out at gay bars. LOL! just joking.

Seriously though I saw a HOT chick wearing a shirt that said...

"Sorry boys I eat *****!"

You may have been able to keep the wranglers and boots if you had one of those t-shirts:)

horsepoop.gif

I have owned a Fox Terrier and I currently have a Jack Rusell and a Jagd Terrier. Personally I would get a Fox, Jack or a Jagd Terrier I really don't think you could go wrong with any of those three. I think the Rat is to small but that is my opinion.

Slide

D13er, look at the bright side. If the pup you get doesn't work out you can put together a picnic lunch, take the dog and the family to the San Diego Zoo and chuck the dog into the lion pen. Be sure a take some video to share on MM.

:)

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom