Jacketed bullets?

D

Dirtysteve

I have been shooting 295gr blackbelt hollowpoints (lead) out of my encore backed with 100 gr pyrodex pellets. I'm getting excellent accuracy with this but is there any advantage going to the copper jacketed bullets?

dirtysteve: Interesting name! There really isn't any "great" advantage going to jacketed bullets. Some folks will tell you that they are more accurate, but I have done a lot of testing and when I sight in with PowerBelt lead bullets and then switch over to PowerBelt jacketed they strike in the same place. I think the theory behind jacketed bullets is that the jacket tends to keep the lead from fragmenting when it hits bone. Might be true, but have never had a need for them. Shot placement is the key, not the type of bullet you use.

Like bluelk I haven't seen much difference in accuracy. In fact, sometimes the pure lead bullets shoot slightly better. Where I do like jacketed bullets is on larger game like moose, elk and I've also shot musk ox with them. With the light bullet, I shoot 250-grains, I think the jacketed bullet offers better penetration. If you want to stay with a pure lead bullet, then I think you need to go to a heavier one for this larger game.

Thanks guys I like to shoot alot so I don't think the benefits outway the cost.
I do have another question. I started off using clearshot and and found 100 grs. to be accurate but my friend asked me to try some of his pyrodex pellets. The first three touched each other at 100 yards. Needless to say I switched. I have heard alot of bad things about pellets, hang fires, different fps from load to load, not igniting the second pellet.
I haven't had any of these happen but I am always a little leery. What's your overall experience with these pellets and should I try to get more accurate load with clear shot?

DirtySteve: If you want to do a little experimenting try the Pyrodex 777. I haven't run any tests on it because I was gone, but I am hearing really good things about it.

I personally don't like pellets. All of the problems you talked about plus some others.

I think you're going to find that 777 will give you better velocity that the ClearShot.

Also, what "sheephunter" said about going to a bigger bullet for the bigger game is absolutely true. Nothing other than shot placement beats mass.

What I've found with the jacketed bullets is that I can stay with the smaller weights and still get all the penetration I need. I've killed several moose with 240-grain jacketed bullets. Also killed my musk ox with the same weight. While I agree that shot placement is critical, I feel I can get away with lighter jacketed bullets than pure lead bullets on extra big game.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom