Jan Unit 53 anterless elk

WapitiDave

Hello,

Thinking of purchasing a tag for this late hunt. Dates are Jan 4th thru the 16th. Has anyone been on this hunt before and willing to share any info? Never hunted 53 and I figure elk would be down low. With them giving 12 days to hunt not sure if that means elk numbers are really low and a tough hunt.Thank you for any responses. PM me if you'd like.

WD

I believe its Jan 4th to Jan 19th.... And its only for the Ute Mountain area.
If you can hike go for it.... lots of Elk on Ute But beware it's a bunch of big rocks with little rocks piled on top of them.
The Elk will be at least half way up by shooting light. Try the south side.
Jack

I was wondering what the "North of Sunshine Valley road" meant in the Proclamation. Not being familiar with the unit does that leave out lots of prime area for that time of year? With there being 40 tags in the regular draw and not sure how many land owner tags do you think there would be alot of hunters in one area? Not sure how big the Ute Mountain area is.
Thank you for your reply Jack

North of Sunshine Valley Rd. is apparent when you get there, It is north of SVR and west of highway 522 all the way to the CO border.The west border is the RG Gorge.
Plenty of room for the hunters, It is a large area. Top of the world ranch/farms gets unit wide tags so you can hunt their private.... but all gates will be locked so you have to walk in.
Ute is a HUGE mountain.... take most of a day to drive around it.
You can get a cow BUT the pack out will be brutal the closest road to where the Elk will be is miles over very rough terrain. Best of luck. I have done this hunt.... And am too old to try it again.
Jack

Thank you for the reply and information. Will have to rethink it before purchasing tag. I don't mind walking and climbing but packing out an elk that far and dealing with the cold that time of year would be tough. If I could get an atv close to where I killed to pack out only I might try it. Thanks again.

David

David.... No chance with an atv this the in the new Rio Grande National Monument you can Not drive off established roads for any reason. And the Elk know this..... GL
Jack

Ya that mountain is brutal, no way in hell I would pack out a cow off that mountain in the freezing cold and that far. Those elk you look at and flip them off because they are laughing at you from about mid mountain. ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom