javelina help

J

javelinahunter

Can anyone help me out here? I am thinking about javelina hunting around Sierra Vista AZ in the spring, but I don't know anything about them. Does anyone know if this is a good area? Can anyone recommend any good areas, without giving up their secret spots? Thanks.

Will

I have a friend that lives there and is ex-military. He said they have a ton on Ft. Hachuca itself. Not sure about regs for hunting in the Ft though. There must be quite a few in the surrounding vacinity if they have that many on the Ft.

I went scouting deer out there 2 weeks ago mostly on the west side of the mountain, didn't see any Javelina or any sign however. Most ranchers can't stand them and would gladly love for you to come shoot em off their property. There are quite a few ranches on the north and western side of the mountain there so go ask around and I bet you can get a bunch of info. on locations and even probably private property access.

Javilina are a blast to hunt archery, try a varmit call should you find fresh sign and watch the wind, they can't see worth a hoot but can sure smell you. I've called all mine in with varmit calls and shot them all archery at less then 20 yards. If you like Javalina hunting check out www.javelinahunter.com Lots of info about them there. PS, they make an awesome mount too!

Good luck

Nofear4

Thanks for the info. We will definitely get out and try to find a ranch to hunt on. Do you know if there is much public land to hunt on? Send me a private message if you want to.

W

Should be a bunch of public land outside of the Millitary base. Plan on spending a lot of time behind your optics looking for them. Lot of people look right at them and dont know it. Usually it takes one to move before someone will see them. Should be quite a few javalina in that country around Sierra Vista. They dont see very good, thats why they are so much fun to hunt with a bow, just watch the wind and be quiet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom