Javelina Questions

ORIONTHEHUNTER

Very Active Member
A buddy and I are looking at putting in for javelina for next year for the limited tag of units 19,23-27. My questions are for nonresidents do we have a decent chance at drawing and how are the populations doing. I have gotten mixed reports about good numbers and then some guys said numbers are down. Thanks for the help

As to your question about drawing the javelina tag, your odds are probably about 100% as there were about 150 (I don't remember the exact number) tags left over in the 2013 draw for the 19-27 units and about 350 left over for the statewide hunt. I usually don't bother putting in for javelina, and then if I decide to I want to hunt them, there are usually 100 or so tags left over first-come-first-served that I can buy after I get my other draw results.

As to the javelina numbers, I don't have a good answer for you. I hunted coues deer in Unit 23 during the January portion of the archery season this year, and I didn't see any javelina during my glassing sessions, but I did find a couple of areas that had some very definite rooting caused by javelinas, so I know they are still there; you'll probably just have to work a little harder for them than you would have several years ago.

They are definitely a fun animal to hunt and add to your taxidermy collection. They also give you something to hunt in January (archery) or February (rifle) to extend your hunting season as long as possible and quell the end-of-season blues.

Thanks for the info. Figured it would be fun to give it a shot never hunted them before and like you said something to do during the winter months when not a whole lot is going on.

I have been hunting stink pig for the past 6 years and the numbers keep dropping. Just got back from my hunt (unit 25) and we only saw 5 where six years ago we would normially see over 100. There are pigs out there, but if I were you and coming from out of state I would look at AZ first. We are not going to put in for stink pig next year, more out of not wanting to hurt the population than anything else.

I will echo what Rabid said. I hunted for over a week in the Burros for deer in early January and did not see one Javelina. I now have the archery Javelina tag that goes through the end of the month and have still yet to see one. A friend of mine went down south of I-10 last weekend and saw a few, but not enough to warrant the fuel to make a second trip down. I know there are some around because I see a little sign here and there and have heard reports of sightings, but I sure wont waste the money on them next year. G&F already feel that Javelina are worth more than a deer or antelope, but numbers are just too low. Not sure where you are from, but I would agree into looking into AZ, or even a ranch in West Texas somewhere.
Jeff

We noticed a huge drop after the big freeze we had a few years ago when the high temp was -5 for a couple of days. Have to assume the extremely low temps killed them off big time. The last few we have taken didn't have ears. Five of the last 6 we took didn't have ears and we assume they were lost due to frost bite.

Thanks for the replies I live in SW Colorado so not too far, but far enough if there are only pockets of handfuls of javelina across those units. I will keep researching

Went out about a week ago and saw a group of 8. On the way in saw a ton of fresh sign probably from a different group.

Sorry Outdoorsdude, I should have dug a hole and buried my dump. Those darn parasites! My wife keeps getting mad at me when I drag my butt across the living room rug?.. All I can say is that whatever you do, don't eat sushi from a 7/11!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom