jennings law

bulls1

Now that Jennings has lost his senate seat, maybe we can get rid of the jennings law. Sure would go a long way in getting our landowner program straigtened out.

At least there was one good thing that happened on November 6th 2012.

We need to band together and put tons of pressure on our senators to get this done.

I think my future takes me out of NM, so now I don't want it repealed! :) (of course it should be though)

Could someone explain what this law is? I don't really have a clue what it really is/does/means.

All I know is Deer, Elk, Antelope, Javelina, and Barbary Sheep are subject to resident quotas, while, Oryx, Bighorn sheep and Ibex are not...I can't for the life of me understand that.

Shouldn't it be all or nothing?...they even split the exotics!

>Could someone explain what this law
>is? I don't really
>have a clue what it
>really is/does/means.
>
>All I know is Deer, Elk,
>Antelope, Javelina, and Barbary Sheep
>are subject to resident quotas,
>while, Oryx, Bighorn sheep and
>Ibex are not...I can't for
>the life of me understand
>that.
>
>Shouldn't it be all or nothing?...they
>even split the exotics!

The jennings law gives landowners the right to kill big game animals that depredate their property. In other words if an elk eats your wifes tulips you can shoot it without fear of prosecution. You only have to report that you killed it within 24 hours, and you cannot keep it. Myself and many others feel that this is the reason G&F pretty much caters to the landowners. If they were to cut landowner tags some would feel the best way to get their tags back would be to go out and slaughter a field full of animals. It has happened in a few high profile cases in the past. Most large landowners would not resort to such tactics, but in my opinion any that did should be prosecuted to the fullest extent. I am not totally against landowner tags but it is a broken system in dire need of fixing. Doing away with jennings law opens the door for some much needed changes.

well said bulls1. You should write a letter that we can all send out to our senators, or start a petition.

Timmothy Jennings is gone. It's time to make his wrong a right by repealing this law.

Yup...sorry, I am an idiot. I got this confused with the Terk decision. Thats the one I don't understand.

Why aren't we seeing more responses to this? Is everyone gone hunting? I hope that's the reason & we'll see more people behind this soon.

We have been pushing for years to get this repealed. The last working session we were able to get around him and now that he is gone hopefully it get can repealed. Even though he was voted out there is still a bunch of politics that need to be worked thru... The NMWF board will be looking at this issue in a few weeks.
J

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom