Jerky

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I buy Hi-Mountain Dry Cure. Follow directions and after 24 hours of cure mix a tiny amount per taste of Reaper Pepper seasoning to some light corn syrup and rub it into meat in a large bowl using latex gloves. Don't use enough it will drip in smoker or you will get a fire in your smokers. I use hickory or pecan chips for smoke. Better than any jerky result than anything I've had in my 64 years.

Been experimenting with different ways. I am trying to rinse between the brine and flavoring stages so it's not too salty. Do you just rub in and let it sit? Or brine first?

Been experimenting with different ways. I am trying to rinse between the brine and flavoring stages so it's not too salty. Do you just rub in and let it sit? Or brine first?
I dry cure as that is the directions on Hi Mountain Dry Cure. Leave it in the fridge in a large bowl with lid or plastic wrap. 24 hours is for 1/4" thickness jerky slices. If you made it thicker then it would take more than 24 hours. I don't recommend over 1/4 " thickness. Also I open up the smoker after 5 hours and switch bottom to top and top to bottom on tray placements for even drying . I never brine and after trying brines for jerky I just have stayed with Hi Mountain. I'm sure some people have concocted their own dry cure and if it's great I wish they would share their recipes.
I might try Red Pepper flakes and a brown sugar syrup after next dry cure batch and see how that compares with the Corn Syrup/Reaper Seasoning blend. The biggest thing is being careful not to get dripping of any syrups that drip down to burner or ash plate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom